• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

what's everyone running for a electric fuel pump when going with explorer front dress

ricky

Loc.
beaumon,texas 77706
going to be installing a new motor with the explorer front dress,but going to have to stay carb for now..whats everyone using for a electric fuel pump when going this route?

it's possible I can get a new tank as well,can a efi pump be used with a carb when running an inline regulator? or will the pump end up being damaged from having so much fuel returned back to the tank since not using injectors?

might be over thinking this,but thought I'd ask.thanks

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
uh-oh

That is going to start an argument there are fans of in tank pumps and fans of outside the tank pumps here, and then there are those that like two pumps.

What I think could work for a carb now EFI later engine is adding on a fuel pressure regulator in the fuel line with a return line to the tank after the pump to reduce the pressure to what the carb needs, then remove it from the line when switching to EFI.

OP
OP
ricky

ricky

Loc.
beaumon,texas 77706
syk,thats what I was thinking, using a regulator for a carb setup for now,and then changing to a higher pressure efi style regulator later..i have one of those..just not one for the lower 5-7 psi the carb calls for

I'm guessing if I use the stock tank,i can have it washed out,and have a friend weld in a an fitting close to the bottom for a feed,and weld in a return fitting up near the top of the tank?

ntsqd

heratic car camper
Loc.
Upper SoKA
I prefer an external pump and I won't go into why as that has been beaten to death I'll, just list what I use.
Low pressure: Carter P4070
TBI pressure: Walbro GSL395
SEFI/TPI pressure: Walbro GSL392
All bought from Summit.

If you're going to run an EFI system that needs a return line then specifically go with a by-passing type regulator that can be set to carb pressures and place it as close to the carb as you can get it. Holley makes one and there are others. Pay attention to the max input pressure as not of these can handle SEFI class input pressure, but most can handle TBI class pressure.

No need to weld on the tank if it has an OEM type pick-up & fuel level sender. Put the return in that or in the fill tube. I found a sender for my '65 Valiant's OEM fuel tank on Rock Auto that had an up-sized suction tube (3/8") and included a 5/16" return hose barb. Might be worth looking into.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Carter P4070 has been my go to low pressure pump for decades. Moves plenty of fuel, built in pressure regulator, smooth, runs forever, low amp draw. Not a fancy race part, just functional.

jrwyant

Contributor
Carter P4070 here, too, mounted on the frame beside the auxiliary tank, beneath the driver’s seat. Works great without a separate regulator, with my stock Motorcraft 2150 carburetor.

I can just barely hear it running, if you know what to listen for. (Some people might call it noisy, but I don’t notice it.) I think the rubber isolator mount is very effective.

I ran the pump relay’s ground in to the cab, to a hidden switch under the dash, to serve as a kill switch.

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
Not to hijack, but what if there's a 23 gal main tank and a functional auxiliary tank still in place? Still doable?

68ford

Bronco Guru
Not to hijack, but what if there's a 23 gal main tank and a functional auxiliary tank still in place? Still doable?

I run 1 self regulated pump per fuel cell. Put a inline check valve after each pump so fuel does not back flow through the non running pump an into the other tank.
Used a double pole double throw, I think it's called, switch that switches one pump or the other and also switches the sending unit. Basically right pump on and right cell level being read. Or left pump on and left cell level being read. Switch between gauge and cells so one gauge for both cells just link stock

ntsqd

heratic car camper
Loc.
Upper SoKA
OEM type EFI pumps usually have a check valve built-in. They have this so that the first, cold crank in the morning there is fuel pressure already at the injectors and the engine will start immediately. OEMs want this for emissions reasons, but it serves many other purposes.