• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Hood rod rubbing on radiator surge tank

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
Bought this Bronco from the original owner a couple of years back. Had overheating problems. I had the radiator re-cored and found that the surge tank leaked. Found a good replacement and installed it. Now, one of the hood rods has dented it and is obviously rubbing. Why would one surge tank work fine for nearly 50 years but a replacement cause clearance issues?

I've thought that putting a washer or two behind the top mounting hole might tip it forward enough to stop the interference, but looking for other suggestions.

Attachments

• IMG_0607.jpg
    IMG_0607.jpg
    118 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_0608.jpg
    IMG_0608.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 37

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Back to the top...

I don't know, but could the replacement have been for some other vehicle originally?
And even if a Bronco version, perhaps there was a running change (or just a slight misalignment) when the current one was made.

Paul

OP
OP
thegreatjustino

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
I put 3/32" worth of washers between the head and tank on the top two holes this weekend. Left the bottom hole without any spacers. Thereby tipping the tank slightly forward. Problem solved.