• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Air Shocks

OP
OP
coachbarnes

coachbarnes

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Franktown/Breck, CO
Oh man! Seeing those sure brings back memories. Amazing how commonplace they were at one time. Not to mention pull-outs at every surface spring so you could refill, lots of turnouts on those uphill twisty roads at high altitudes, and nobody honking their horn as the line was piling up, because they were, or had at one time been in the same boat.

I remember a Buick that could hit 140mph with ease, pull from 55 to 75 in just a couple of seconds, but sputtered along at about 10mph tops heading over the Continental Divide. Holding the choke plates open with rubber bands so they wouldn't flood above 5000' elevations, running radiator blocks in the winter, desert bags in the summer, and getting in line at the local natural spring on the way to Santa Cruz along with all the other overheating cars and trucks.
We used to have a pretty good time hanging out with strangers having issues in common on the sides of old roads.
Hope your trip has the same "feel" to it, if hopefully without the same issues we used to deal with daily.

Wasn't so bad...;)

Paul

We have very similar memories!! Most people don't really know how to use the bags. They think they are just to store water, and don't know you need to soak them in water first and they'll basically seep out creating the same cooling mechanism used by evaporative coolers. They're really pretty ingenious. My pops used to run a sprinkler on our roof in PHX because we didn't have A/C in the house and the sprinkler (with blankets on top of the shingles) did the same thing to our house that these bags did to our car! Old tricks that are a dying breed, but create some pretty good memories.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
That's a great one. Dad keeping the family safe and sound (and cool!) can always make a good memory.

Paul

OP
OP
coachbarnes

coachbarnes

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Franktown/Breck, CO
Went with a custom added leaf(4th one from top in pic). It resolved the problem, and that was job 1. I’m not really sure about the change in ride when it’s not loaded, but it sort of is what it is. As I said, my ride comfort expectations are pretty low! As long as it does a good job staying between the lines, and this one does that! I sure want to explore those air bags using the Dynastar cups, though!
f1e981d8e3876682bd2b3b0ab0448a5e.jpg

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
A good result! Elegant solution for sure...
Sounds like you've already tested it out too, so that's one check off the list before you go. And some stress removed as well.

Congrats and good luck and have fun.

Paul

CA Monkey

Loc.
Tracy
Ive built a couple of custom leaf packs for full size broncos and that was always the best route. If you really are loading down the rear, you really need an overload spring on the bottom or you can invert the pack and cause pinion issues.

biggest thing i realized while driving in mexico was there weren't many places to buy "snacks". Luckily I brought a costco thing of mixed nuts and a thing of beef sticks.