• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

'66 U13 - Just painted and need help on what to do next?

OP
OP
J

JMC

Bumpers, alternator, tailgate are all wrong.

I went back and forth between a pic of my tailgate vs other one I found claiming to have all correct parts.....and I can't see the difference. What did you see that I'm missing? The only possible difference I'm noticing is maybe the length of the detail across top? What should I be looking for?
thanks!

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
I went back and forth between a pic of my tailgate vs other one I found claiming to have all correct parts.....and I can't see the difference. What did you see that I'm missing? The only possible difference I'm noticing is maybe the length of the detail across top? What should I be looking for?
thanks!

The top of a 66' tailgate as you noticed is different as in it has a "ledge". The 67-77 has a raised "bump". Do a 66 tail gate difference search here, quite a few pics.

OP
OP
J

JMC

The top of a 66' tailgate as you noticed is different as in it has a "ledge". The 67-77 has a raised "bump". Do a 66 tail gate difference search here, quite a few pics.

Got it! That's good info, thanks!

coachbarnes

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Franktown/Breck, CO
Really like the color of your truck. I'm pretty sure that dash color should be dark grey. I think there is a '66 breather listed in classifieds that you might want to check out. Congrats on the ride.

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
Dash was Bronco gray poly. Check out Blue Bastard'a u13 restoration thread and/or the The great original 66' thread.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Yes to the draglink, but as far as I know they have not been available for several years except in some dark recess of a warehouse somewhere. So what you have has to be the new "correct" or you'd just be stuck with a 50 year old and likely worn out steering linkage.
Better incorrect and working, than correct and crap.

Besides, you didn't say it was a religious restoration. Just that it's being fixed up.
I would renew the rear springs if you're going to drive it much. The originals have sagged just enough to be sitting on top of the bottom overload leaf. This is killing what is already a stiff and harsh ride.
Options are to have the originals re-arched, or remove the bottom thick leaf entirely, or add a single leaf in the middle to shore things up a bit, or replace with a whole new pack.

Some vendors still sell the original style replacements, so new is not necessarily something that a prospective owner would notice if that was the case. But if you're looking for that last bit of value, a re-arched original set might gain you a buck or two.
Most buyers don't seem to care about absolute originality, but since yours is a '66, and a U13 to boot, those little things might make a bit of difference.
As a driver, a modern set of leaf springs will ride better and be safer with their double-wrapped spring eye in the front. Not that you're likely to ever brake a main leaf with your intended mild use, but it's there if that advantage is ever called upon.

And be aware, that if you opt to remove that bottom leaf, you might lose more than just it's thickness in height. If your other leaves are just too weak, they'll sag because the big thick one on the bottom would have been holding them up.

Paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Anybody know if those are original factory door inserts? That'd be cool if they were and still in that good of shape.

As far as value if you sell it right now JMC, it's actually quite hard to say. Not only because there are so many variables and so much range of current sales, but even though yours has the value of being a '66 U13, your painter has hurt a TON of value in my opinion.
Not the paint itself, but the cobbled together floor pans and the bedliner. And not just because the liner comes up farther than you wanted, but because it's there at all. These days bedliner is a big red flag with a flashing light that just screams "rust hiding here!" to many that are looking to pay good money for an EB.

Did you install the driver's floor pan, or was it done for you? Was the old one cut out at least, or was this one simply laid over the top? Or am I wrong and that's just an early '66 Budd body thing? I've never noticed it on any EB before, so I'm thinking it's a new panel overlaying the old one.

Anyway, it's still a cool Bronco I think, and the color and look is cool. But you asked about potential value for resale and those are the first things I saw in your pics that would have a potential hit to that bottom line.

Paul

DuneBuster

Loc.
Canton
It's for the Future

What you have is a great looking Bronco. So it's not up to snuff to exhibit at a Concours where everything is exact factory. It's yours. Enjoy it and fix it up as you please.

We bought our Bronco and it was not pretty, took the body off and did a complete off-frame restoration. new 302, new brakes. traded for a 75 disk front D-44, new steering wheel, Corbeau seats because they are more comfortable, an original rear seat, added a full roll cage.
We have bought an old (but better) body that we will sandblast, weld panels to and finally do a new professional paint job. Some day if my son gets around to it, I'll have a grandson to hand the keys to. It's not my Bronco, it's a family treasure.

OP
OP
J

JMC

Yes to the draglink, but as far as I know they have not been available for several years except in some dark recess of a warehouse somewhere. So what you have has to be the new "correct" or you'd just be stuck with a 50 year old and likely worn out steering linkage.
Better incorrect and working, than correct and crap.

Besides, you didn't say it was a religious restoration. Just that it's being fixed up.

Most buyers don't seem to care about absolute originality, but since yours is a '66, and a U13 to boot, those little things might make a bit of difference.

Yes, that's right on....I appreciate that perspective. I'm definitely not skilled or experienced enough to shoot for a complete 100% true restoration. I just wanted to learn a few things, have some fun, and try to save a cool truck from rusting into the ground. It's hard to find that balance of 'good enough' sometimes.
I'll def add the rear springs to the list...thanks for the help on that!

OP
OP
J

JMC

Dash was Bronco gray poly. Check out Blue Bastard'a u13 restoration thread and/or the The great original 66' thread.

Love that thread....have enjoyed reading through it a couple times:)

Yes I decided on the white dash....I'd seen it on another one (maybe here, I can't remember) and I just really liked it.

OP
OP
J

JMC

Really like the color of your truck. I'm pretty sure that dash color should be dark grey. I think there is a '66 breather listed in classifieds that you might want to check out. Congrats on the ride.

Thank you so much! So much more to do, but it's nice to finally see a little progress. Paint helps so much.

OP
OP
J

JMC

Anybody know if those are original factory door inserts? That'd be cool if they were and still in that good of shape.

Not the paint itself, but the cobbled together floor pans and the bedliner. And not just because the liner comes up farther than you wanted, but because it's there at all. These days bedliner is a big red flag with a flashing light that just screams "rust hiding here!" to many that are looking to pay good money for an EB.

Did you install the driver's floor pan, or was it done for you? Was the old one cut out at least, or was this one simply laid over the top? Or am I wrong and that's just an early '66 Budd body thing? I've never noticed it on any EB before, so I'm thinking it's a new panel overlaying the old one.

Anyway, it's still a cool Bronco I think, and the color and look is cool. But you asked about potential value for resale and those are the first things I saw in your pics that would have a potential hit to that bottom line.

Paul

Would love to know if the door inserts are original, if anyone knows?

I did cut out the entire cargo area, driver's floor pan, and passenger's floor pan. I left the tunnel cover....that was about all that was salvageable. The new pans came from Bronco Graveyard and were welded in by a professional welder who does have a good bit of Bronco experience. So no overlay anywhere.

Yeah....the bedliner. I feel like I got bullied into that. I really didn't want it, and said so a few times. I completely agree with you that it looks like something is hiding below (even though I know everything below is brand new). But they made a hard push to do it, and since this was my first rodeo and they specialize in classic paint and resto, I decided they knew best.

I should have popped in here and asked you guys first;)

coachbarnes

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Franktown/Breck, CO
Love that thread....have enjoyed reading through it a couple times:)

Yes I decided on the white dash....I'd seen it on another one (maybe here, I can't remember) and I just really liked it.

Mine isn't original either - I want it to be original grey, but mine isn't a "religious restoration" either! Lol. I focused on the stuff that would get me home when I drove her! So far, so good! Enjoy your ride!!
9ebae150fbfa963161a96f49967ffae7.jpg
924c568bcc08ad6ec1a30b043cf45998.jpg
a0a7ffdcd2d2b4dd6fc627fea379d566.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
OP
J

JMC

Mine isn't original either - I want it to be original grey, but mine isn't a "religious restoration" either! Lol. I focused on the stuff that would get me home when I drove her! So far, so good! Enjoy your ride!!
9ebae150fbfa963161a96f49967ffae7.jpg
924c568bcc08ad6ec1a30b043cf45998.jpg
a0a7ffdcd2d2b4dd6fc627fea379d566.jpg

Beautiful! That's an incredible job, wow. Reminds me I still have a long way to go. ;)

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
And that little extra mile (or 200!) to get to the top of Georgia Pass to get portraits for your gallery too!;D

Which reminds me... Whereabouts are you? What part of the country?
Sorry if you mentioned it already. If so I forgot.

Back to the bedliner and resale value JMC, if you, or anyone took any pics at all during the process. Save those!
That would alleviate any concerns a future owner had about what's underneath.

Paul

OP
OP
J

JMC

Good call...pics will def help later on. And I took plenty along the way.

I'm in South Carolina....I think I've seen a few other SC folks on here before.

chuckyb

Contributor
Congratulations both JMC and Coach, both very nice rides!

71Broncitis

You can tell if your door inserts are original by looking closely at the metal backing plates.

The factory ones were made in a stamping press with a dedicated die. This produces a continuous 90° bend all the way around the upper corners.

This is a compound curve that can not be formed when cut and formed on a sheet metal brake like the aftermarket were. The one formed on a brake have 90° flanges on the straight sections, but not in the corners.

In recent years Gaspig has made some replicas of the the original backing plates by TIG welding in flanges on the corners. One ground smooth and painted, it's likely impossible to tell, so you'd have to look at the insude of them to see if there's a weld or smooth formed radius from the stamping.

I've also heard that the inside of original inserts are smooth with no texture of a raw fiberglass surface like aftermarket. It's been years since we had them off my dad's U13 and I never took notice at the time if they were.

This makes sense since Ford (or their production supplier) would have had the money and volume to invest in more complex RTM (resin transfer molding) tooling versus the common open mold tooling used on aftermarket inserts and other components.

https://youtu.be/1u-2GvhghQA

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk