• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Bronco Restoration Recommendation

Super Bob

I am new to this blog and am looking for some help. I am thinking of doing a high-end ground up restoration on a early 70s Bronco and i am looking for recommendations on companies that I should/should not use and why. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Assume that I have no budget and just want the best (well...best quality for the money, but still very high end)

AFLtCol

Contributor
Bronco Guru
If you don't mind me asking, what's your budget?

OP
OP
S

Super Bob

Assume no budget - I just want the best quality producer for what would be considered an elite high-end restoration.

gatorxray

Although I have not used any of them, these are the companies I would check with first if I had lots of cash.

ICON, Nickstrix, classicfordbroncos.com

Some of the guys on here might have a really nice bronco if you describe what you are looking for.

Dpearce

You're going to find that there is quite a waiting list for the best builders. I'm in San Diego and using a local top notch builder - John Cole at Elite Broncos. We started the project about 16 months ago and hope to finish in the next 3 months.

I know Nick's Trix is upwards of two years wait and Icon is at least the same. Icon has had some trucks come back recently for resale - so that could be another route - just be prepared to pay at least $200k for one of those.

fatboy

Contributor
Glad to be here.
Loc.
New Hampshire
No budget, Jonathan Ward at Icon. You might have a better chance at buying one that was already built and becomes available for sale as others have said. If you want to be somewhat less than $200k, talk to Nick at nicktrix http://www.nickstrix.com/ .

There are a few others who are just starting to make a name as well but regardless you likely will not be driving one this year.

Good luck with your search.

hyghlndr

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Hockessin, Delaware
Although I have not used any of them, these are the companies I would check with first if I had lots of cash.

ICON, Nickstrix, classicfordbroncos.com

Some of the guys on here might have a really nice bronco if you describe what you are looking for.

I would NOT recommend classicfordbroncos....RockyRoads, any of several from Florida, EM2Bronco from Oregon, buildabronco, etc (poor in one way another or unless you want to be a fool).

I have seen some of the Elite Builds, imho not much better than those previously mentioned and not nearly as good as those below.

ICON, Nickstrix, BigSkyBronco, Broncohut, and a few private guys that build them have stood the test of time with excellent feedback from those that know Broncos.

duffymahoney

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I am doing a very high end build myself, and it's lots of fun! Anyone can do a super high end build, a few of the shops have separated themselves by inventing their own products, making new frames and creating art. I see a lot of builds that start off amazing, but get pretty tacky paint jobs, lifts, tires etc.. If someone spends 1000+ hours it should be down right amazing. My goal with my build is a bronco that will last and last still looking amazing.

What are your goals? Mall crawler? High end 4x4 that is also a show piece?

If I had an unlimited budget I would have Nick or Icon build me a 4 door. Broncos are tiny! Go with a higher hp coyote motor, get every bells and whistle out.

Jonathan at Icon is a artist. His broncos are art. I bet he has over thought every single nut and bolt on a bronco.

Nick is just about as knowledgeable about every part on a bronco as any one man can be. Look at his builds, he zinc plates everything! So cool:) He also invents a lot of cool bronco products.

I am sure there are other shops not on the lists, that with enough time and money can build a perfect bronco for you. I am jealous of your budget.

Last edited:

Dpearce

Elite Broncos

I would NOT recommend classicfordbroncos....RockyRoads, any of several from Florida, EM2Bronco from Oregon, buildabronco, etc (poor in one way another or unless you want to be a fool).

I have seen some of the Elite Builds, imho not much better than those previously mentioned and not nearly as good as those below.

ICON, Nickstrix, BigSkyBronco, Broncohut, and a few private guys that build them have stood the test of time with excellent feedback from those that know Broncos.

Hyghlndr, not sure if we are talking about the same Elite. Here's a 4 wheeler mag article on John's work:

http://www.fourwheeler.com/features/bronco-for-baja/

fordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
forget money Nick is building the best for the least. i would not touch an icon, i would buy jeep unlimited before i bought an icon. just my .02 cents.

OP
OP
S

Super Bob

Other than ICON (as they are a different animal) differentiates the ones you are recommending (Nickstrix, Bigsky, etc.) vs. the ones you are not (classicford, RockyRoads)?