• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

'Ol Blue Build, no longer topless

OP
OP
boonz28

boonz28

Contributor
very nice ! fantastic rims ! its nice to see the vin sticker ... what month and year was your 71 made ??

also .. you should get together w. Tito . He knows a thing or two about EB's !!

Thanks Franko. Here's the breakdown on 'Ol Blues vin:
U15GLJ92034
Series:
U15
Model:
U152 - HD Package
Engine:
G - 302ci 8cyl
Assembly Plant:
L- Michigan
Build month:
June - 80000 - 99999 (mine is # 92034)
Trans:
C - 3 Speed Manual
Rear Axle:
A5 - 4:11 Limited Slip 3300#
Paint Code:
6 - Bahama Blue
DSO (Domestic Special Order) Code:
71 - Los Angeles

I'd love to meet up with other EB enthusiasts on here some time.
Tito - i'm a fan of your work but i never said hi till now because i didn't want to jeopardize my lurker status... LOL;D

OP
OP
boonz28

boonz28

Contributor
Thanks bc1974, Shado, Thunder Chicken, and BlameJane!

BlameJane, i followed your post about getting your old EB back from the beginning and was super excited for you when you got her back!

FRKNSTYN, i'm learning that every time i upgrade something it creates a domino effect. Its funny, i haven't even driven 'Ol Blue yet and i'm already planning all the things i want to do with my next build. MuwaHaHaHa!!!

Hank_

Bronco Guru
Thanks for sharing your story and your pics Seth. I love that color. Looking forward to more updates and pics. Hope you can get it running soon.

Henry

Tito

CB Fire Starter
Loc.
Bakersfield, CA
Looks great, nice to have a solid foundation to start with and the body work/paint done. It is not my strong suit at all but the first thing that anyone sees!
Are you on the east side? Looks like city in the hills area. I'm in the NW. Would love to come take a peak at the project and always willing to lend a hand, just gotta ask. There are a number of broncos in town, we're not very organized but hopefully that can be remedied eventually.
You're doing a great job, keep it up!

OP
OP
boonz28

boonz28

Contributor
Thanks for the words of encouragement everyone. :D

Phelman & Tito, i live in the neighborhood called Tuscany off Alfred Harrell and 178. You guys are welcome to come by anytime. I'd love to see your rigs too. Even though i haven't tackled any difficult projects yet, i'm sure there will come a time when i could use a helping hand and its great to know i have the support of some local CB members.

Tito it would be really cool to get the bako EB guys together once in a while (like how the hot rod guys meet up at sonic on fridays). I don't have a driveable bronco yet but it would be cool to see everyones trucks and talk shop.

OP
OP
boonz28

boonz28

Contributor
keep up the good work....pic pics more pics!

By Request:
I'm sure that a few of you guys know what that is in pics 2 & 3 and wouldn't mind having one...;D

Attachments

• 024.jpg
    024.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 149
  • 025.jpg
    025.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 152
  • 026.jpg
    026.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 130
OP
OP
boonz28

boonz28

Contributor
Tito, Phelman
I'm going to do a little work on the bronco tomorrow (Saturday).
I PM'd you guys my phone # so shoot me a text or call if you guys wanna stop by and see 'Ol Blue. :D

OP
OP
boonz28

boonz28

Contributor
I made a little more progress on the rig this weekend.
This weekends project was power steering.
After some reading on here i decided a 4x4x2 box would be the way to go since i'm going to be running 35's.

Here's a size comparrison of my stock manual steering box next to the 4x4x2 box...

Attachments

• iphone 416.jpg
    iphone 416.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 128
OP
OP
boonz28

boonz28

Contributor
i decided to use the BC plate because i didn't want the extra thickness & clearance issues that go along with the WCB plate.

The plate was a little long for my set-up so i cut it down to clear the new shock hoops.

I clamped the plate onto the frame, lined up the holes and started to drill the new ones... I'll admit i was a little nervous drilling through the frame for the first time...

You can see in the 3rd pic how many holes my frame had in it.

Attachments

• iphone 032.jpg
    iphone 032.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 161
  • iphone 038.jpg
    iphone 038.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 159
  • iphone 042.jpg
    iphone 042.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 159
OP
OP
boonz28

boonz28

Contributor
I didn't take any pictures but next i hammered out the stock sleeves in the frames and ground down the new ones to fit.

After the frame sleeves were in place i welded up all the extra holes in the frame so it didn't look like swiss cheese anymore, welded on the BC plate, and hit everything with some paint.

Attachments

• iphone 047.jpg
    iphone 047.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 153

Phelman

Loc.
Bakersfield, CA
Looks like you made some progress. Kids had soccer or I would of come up the hill and lent a hand. Text me if you work on it this weekend. I think I have a rear bearing going bad, so I may have the axles out of my rig. I got a crazy squawk coming from it right now.

Paul

OP
OP
boonz28

boonz28

Contributor
Somewhere around this point Tito stopped by and talked shop for a while. He's definitely a great guy who knows a lot about EB's... I'm hoping i can get 'Ol Blue done soon and get a Bako cruise going or something..

Tito, if you ever get ready to tackle a project and need an extra set of hands give me a call...:D

OP
OP
boonz28

boonz28

Contributor
Looks like you made some progress. Kids had soccer or I would of come up the hill and lent a hand. Text me if you work on it this weekend. I think I have a rear bearing going bad, so I may have the axles out of my rig. I got a crazy squawk coming from it right now.

No problem paul, i've got 2 kids too so i know how busy life can be. Sorry to hear about your rig, i guess thats the kind of thing i have to look forward to once i get this 41 year old truck on the road. ;)
I'm working the next two weekends so probably won't get much work done for a while though... :(