• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

74-77 steering column

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
I need to rebuild my 77 column. I stink I wiring also so I dread doing this.

You don't need to worry about the wiring if you use the Ford Factory turn signal switch assembly. That way your not cutting and soldering any thing. If you have a wiring diagram and can follow color code. At the end of the column there is a large plug with the column wires. You have to unplug that plug. On the column side of the plug you take the plug apart and all the wire with their pins come out. Tape a piece of wire to that collection and when you pull the turn signal assembly up the wires go with it dragging the extra wire with it up the shift tube. Leave the extra wire in the column so you can pull the new wires down when your ready to put it all back together. Put the new wires in the old plug in the proper order. Write down the wire colors in order you took them out and some close up pictures of the wire bundle at the plug as you go will help allot. Get a wiring diagram of your Bronco column will help too but make sure the wire colors are right for what you have before you take it apart.

1974 was a pivotal year for the steering column harness. Wiring was changed with both the horn wiring and the Emergency flashers. if You have a pull for flashers switch on the steering column on the right side of the column just below the shift lever then you have the newer wiring set.

With any old truck unless you owned it for 40 years you have to verify that the parts your working with are still the same year parts that the truck left the factory with.

gr8scott

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Yeah mine lights up, but it absolutely horrible. Its just an opaque white, can't see the indicator or the letters.
Anyone know a fix for this? All the parts are new BTW.