• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

clutch time

B RON CO

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Statesville, NC
A performance clutch should have higher quality material and more attention to detail than stock. It will probably be rated for higher RPMs. Good luck

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I swear by the Centerforce Dual Friction clutches. Light pedal, great engagement action, and in over 20 years of using them in many different rigs, I've never worn one out.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
...what makes a performance clutch better than stock?

In the old days, and probably still today in some cases, a "performance clutch" simply had stiffer springs. In the case of our original 3-finger "Long" style clutch pressure plates, stiffer springs was the norm for hi-po clutches.
This was a balancing act, and was good to find one that was only slightly stiffer so you didn't suffer the consequences of a too-stiff action. As in broken linkages and very strong left leg muscles!

I have a McLeod clutch in mine and was amazed at the difference in grab-a-bility compared to the stock one. But it did suffer from a stiffer pedal. Not horribly so fortunately, but it was enough to put my old spindly clutch rod over the edge and break it one day on the way to work.
A new beefier one from a full-size truck fixed that for the next many years and miles though.

Most modern aftermarket performance clutches have switched over to the diaphragm style clutch, where the springs are actually the flat levers your throwout bearing pushes against.
Like in buckaroo's link.

These were in use long before now of course, and even Ford now uses them extensively (if not exclusively?) and the result is the ability to design in more clamping force without suffering from an excessively heavy pedal feel. Good all the way around.
The Centerforce brand takes a standard clutch design and adds the bob-weights that act centrifugally against the springs. This way as the RPM increases, so does the clamping force. Clever design that's stood the test of time for the last 40 years or so.
Sometimes you hear a little bit of an annoying rattle, but they've been able to get rid of most of that over the years. Haven't heard any complaints about that in a long time now.

Luk is another good quality brand, but is not necessarily a "performance" clutch brand. They are generally considered a high-quality performance replacement for a stock clutch. A very good one, but not necessarily some beast you'd want for your racing truck. At least I don't think. Probably people out there using them in their race cars and trucks with good results too.
Luk makes at least some of the cores for the Centerforce clutches as well.

As was already mentioned, the type of friction surfaces/materials is key as well. Centerforce offers two different designs there. A metallic/ceramic compound on one side of the disc, and a more standard (but still high rated) material on the other.
This way they feel they get the best of both worlds. A good high-temp rating before failure, but without the grabbiness, and poor cold temp performance.
People swear by them and not usually at them. So that's a good sign as well.

We sell both brands of clutches and have had great results over many years.

Paul

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Performance clutch is generally something that has a higher torque capacity then stock.

Maybe more clamping pressure, different friction materials, different spring designs (centrifical weights). Usually a mix of all the above. The better materials cost more, which drives up the price.

Or get real crazy and look at a duel disk clutch.

Racing maybe about lightweight, less rotating mass.

There are a lot of potential things.

rguest3

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I would suggest the Centerforce II clutch kit from WH. It has all the parts included that you will need. Great flywheel as well.