• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Half cab roll bar opinions needed

doghows72

Bronco Guru
So I've decided to order a Ballie Built half cab cage, but here is my dilema! I'm thinking of doing a simple stock style bar for the bed of the half cab. I spoke with Gordon to get his input and he gave me some ideas and as usual I figure I'd bounce them off you guys.
If I do a bar for the back to match the front it would be made for 1&1/2" tubing. Might look small or weak compared to the 2" normally used. Now if I go 2" it will look good with the top on but when I take the top off it will be miss matched and might look outta place.
Third option might be able to make a back bar out of 1&3/4" and keep the 1&1/2" for the inside of the half cab.
I took some spare tubing I had laying around and for my street truck I wasn't to opposed to the 1&1/2" and I think I liked the 1&3/4" even more but the 2" looks too big for my rig.
Ok let me have it and in case you haven't seen it, this is the rig I'm working with. Thanks as always and there are no wrong answers!!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    189 KB · Views: 77

JCBombardier

I'm trying to decide what type of roll bar to use in my half cab as well. Thoughts:

1) What is your reasoning for adding an additional bar to the bed?

2) How often do you currently remove the top? It's gonna be twice as hard to remove it between two roll bars. If you really won't be removing it that often, matching them up won't be as important.

3) I think 1-3/4 will be hard to distinguish from 1-1/2 for the untrained eye, but having the gap between them with the top off might look a little funny.

Curious to see what you come up with!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kat

Loc.
Bristol
Funny thing I was trying to figure out how to do this myself for my half cab, but I don't have a Ballie Built cage. But I was wanting to tie in a full size roll bar (one that you might see in a non-half cab) to have protection if someone sits in the back when I have the top off. I don't know if you will ever plan on putting a seat back there for summer rides.
But this isn't what your asking...Im rambling...

If it was me I would go with the same size roll bar that Ballie Built uses and I think it will look fine on our short trucks. Not so much for a bigger truck... I have his bumpers and is very nice guy, he might can make the inner cage a little bigger diameter for you to match up with a thicker rear bar.

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
Like asked above, what's the reason for the additional bar in the bed?

OP
OP
doghows72

doghows72

Bronco Guru
The bar in the bed would be mostly for looks. No plans on a rear seat. Another option would be a tonneau cover? I was working on a fiberglass one but bailed on it. It just didn't look right but I could do a cloth type on pretty easy.

No Hay

Bronco Guru
I wanted to have mine built larger than 2" because I thought 2" looked small. Glad I didn't now, as 2" seems about right. But 1 1/2" seems to be getting a little thin, as "it's all about how you look, you know." ;D Set up some scrap tubing in the back first, for a visual.

snipes243

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Huntersville, NC
Funny thing I was trying to figure out how to do this myself for my half cab, but I don't have a Ballie Built cage. But I was wanting to tie in a full size roll bar (one that you might see in a non-half cab) to have protection if someone sits in the back when I have the top off. I don't know if you will ever plan on putting a seat back there for summer rides.
But this isn't what your asking...Im rambling...

If it was me I would go with the same size roll bar that Ballie Built uses and I think it will look fine on our short trucks. Not so much for a bigger truck... I have his bumpers and is very nice guy, he might can make the inner cage a little bigger diameter for you to match up with a thicker rear bar.

I’m gonna use thes tube clamps on back cage to tie into my half cab cage.
https://www.tmrcustoms.com/roll-cage-chassis/tube-clamps-flanges/od-tube-clamp

stout22

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Athens, AL
I have the Ballie Built cage also. I haven't seen any others that fit inside a half-cab so well.