• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Should I install a tire carrier or leave as is?

vtboy51

My '68 didn't come from the factory with a tire carrier that I can tell, so I picked up a used one last year with intentions of installing it. Everything is original on the bronco, so I'm now second guessing drilling things. Besides the exterior carrier, did Ford offer an interior carrier system? Did some bronco's not come with any spare tire options?

House

Minutia Militia
There were three options.
1-Swing away tailgate carrier (10 holes to drill)
2-Back of bulkhead (Halfcab and wagon w/bench)
3-Inside of tailgate (one bracket and two standoffs)

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
There was an internal carrier so you can mount the spare against the inside tailgate. There was 2 brackets mounted to the top edge of the tailgate and another center bracket in the middle of the tailgate to bolt the tire on to. Does your truck have the bulkhead behind the seats? the spare tire can be mounted there. Does your vin number start with U14 which would have been a pick-up with a bulkhead to mount the spare.

OP
OP
vtboy51

vtboy51

There was an internal carrier so you can mount the spare against the inside tailgate. There was 2 brackets mounted to the top edge of the tailgate and another center bracket in the middle of the tailgate to bolt the tire on to. Does your truck have the bulkhead behind the seats? the spare tire can be mounted there. Does your vin number start with U14 which would have been a pick-up with a bulkhead to mount the spare.

I'm still a bit confused on my original setup. My vin is a U15, it clearly used to have a bulkhead installed (removed by PO) with a bench seat, and it has a rear bench seat. The nuts for the rear seat are welded to the underside of the floor, leading me to believe it was installed from the factory. I don't see any excess holes in my tailgate interior, would that be a clue whether I had an interior carrier before? I do see an old "Jacking Instructions" sticker behind the passenger wheel well, not sure if this helps explain things.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
Yep sounds like the u15 utility model with interior bulkhead. the tire would have been mounted to the bulkhead.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
And get a pic of that decal in case it's a bit different from those that were placed in other locations.
Can't have too much historical references for these old rigs.

Paul

Crush

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Greenbottom, WV
Another option tou can do is install a reciever hitch. Make an insert that you can mount a tire on and have it made so tou can pull a pin and swing it down so you can still get in tailgate. I believe if designed right tou can put assist shocks on it to help with lifting and lowering. This option requires no extra holes be drilled in the body

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
If you have a roll bar, you won't need to chop up the car at all.
My tires are too large to carry on the swing-out carrier so I decided to carry it inside. I've mounted it to the roll bar right behind the driver's seat where it can cause no visibility problems.
It's partially sitting on top of the wheel well. It's mounted to a piece of Uni-Strut that's bolted to the roll bar. It's very secure here.
It turned out to be my best and cheapest mod so far, because it totally eliminated the rattling noise from the old carrier when going over bumps.
I don't have a back seat anymore, but a seat would still be an option with this carrier.
The limit for this carrier is 33" if you have a headliner.

Attachments

• IMG_20161223_154518688.jpg
    IMG_20161223_154518688.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 42