• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Light bar for overhead lights?

svastano

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Pulaski, PA
Group,

Any of you ever put lights above the windshield? If so any photos, advice on how to mount them? I am going old school on my restore and I bought 6" round lights and was contemplating how to mount them. I have a family bar, not installed yet and have been going back and fourth on what to do. No top will be put on the Bronco only a bikini top. Photos would help me decide. some other items I am going on the conversion is Winch mounted in front bumper, lift and 35" tires, Still going old school and 15" rims. Thanks in advance!

Sam

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
If you add lights to the windshield frame without having a top on the Bronco you must brace the windshield frame.
It needs braced any time you run without a top but adding more weight/mass at the top of the frame makes it even worse if you don't.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Sounds like you might not have the option to move the lights back behind the edge of the windshield frame, so if you intend to use them fairly often (or even if not) you might consider some kind of an unobtrusive shield at the bottom edge of the lights.

If your hood paint is flat paint then it's not as big a deal, but nice shiny paint will reflect a lot of light from up there. Depending on your seating position, it can be just sligthly bothersome, to a total nuisance, to dangerous.

Nothing for it but to mount them up and then see what, if anything, needs to be done.

Should look good up there.

Paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Ditto on the bracing. Even if not just for the windshield frame's sake, then for the quality of the light while you're driving. Not much is more annoying to everyone than bouncing bright lights.

Paul

Crush

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Greenbottom, WV
That is a good option for you if you are looking to purchase something. If not you will have to build what you want. I wanted the old school look and had to build one. I started building my light bar back on 2003. Worked at a jobsite with a lot of stainless piling and pre bent elbows and fittings. Brought home a bunch of straight pipe and 90’s. Laid out what i wanted and took it back to the job. Had a welder orbital weld all the pieces together and hand tigged the mounting tabs to the windshield. He gave me a piece of flat stainless to go home and lay out the light tabs and he would hand tig those on too but that never happened. So it sat until 2015 when I found the kc bolt on tabs and completed it.
Here is a pic....
attachment.php

Attachments

• 948AFE0A-247A-4A82-B21F-83A8D2808711.jpg
    948AFE0A-247A-4A82-B21F-83A8D2808711.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 259
Last edited:

Crush

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Greenbottom, WV
Last one........
attachment.php

if you were wondering, the wires go down through the light bar and down inside the passenger side window frame and out to relays mounted on the passenger side fender apron. then wires go to a single factory headlight switch where the outside two are on the park lamp notch, then you pull out to the headlight position and the inside two come on. I also have two on the push bar that are wired to the dome lamp rheostat so when you click the switch as if turning on the dome light it turns on the front driving lights

and I have since cit off the mounting bolts for each light so they are flush with the nut so that I can remove the soft top easier.:)

Attachments

• 3EDE95F7-EF46-45D2-9ED0-C5C2C585A9A0.jpg
    3EDE95F7-EF46-45D2-9ED0-C5C2C585A9A0.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 256
Last edited:

FordBronc

Contributor
Bronco's, yea I have a couple.
Loc.
Polk County, Missouri
And if you do not have the need to run a windshield, and or windshield wipers those 2 big holes in the top of the frame (where the w/s wiper studs stick out of) are a great place to put some led's. And you can even use the OEM w/s wiper wiring and dash switch.

Of course I did crazy off road rig only stuff like farm tractor LED's for headlights, removed the OEM park lights and put square LED's in there. And then LED button lights for front and side park lights.

Yes on the cheap, but functional route.

That light bar is a nice idea, if you run a w/s.

Attachments

• 100_2724.jpg
    100_2724.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 40
  • 100_2775.jpg
    100_2775.jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 39
  • 100_2722.jpg
    100_2722.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 41
  • 100_2721.jpg
    100_2721.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 34
  • 100_2720.jpg
    100_2720.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 28
OP
OP
svastano

svastano

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Pulaski, PA
Last one........
attachment.php

if you were wondering, the wires go down through the light bar and down inside the passenger side window frame and out to relays mounted on the passenger side fender apron. then wires go to a single factory headlight switch where the outside two are on the park lamp notch, then you pull out to the headlight position and the inside two come on. I also have two on the push bar that are wired to the dome lamp rheostat so when you click the switch as if turning on the dome light it turns on the front driving lights

and I have since cit off the mounting bolts for each light so they are flush with the nut so that I can remove the soft top easier.:)

This is exactly what I was looking for! I also work at a place that I have access to Stainless tube and will build it myself. Thanks for posting!

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
This is exactly what I was looking for! I also work at a place that I have access to Stainless tube and will build it myself. Thanks for posting!

Always nice when you can fab it up yourself.. Good luck

Post them pics when done

Tugross302

That looks great crush. I had a light bar back in the ‘80’s that bolted to the drip rail. I got a ticket for having lights higher than 48” from da state police

68ford

Bronco Guru
Check my gallery or garage, I run 5 hella rally 5000 above the window, but kept them low. The top of the light rack is only about 2in higher than the roof.