• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Where would you live??

OP
OP
B

Bart

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Buffalo Gap, Texas
DO NOT come to AZ!

Snakes!! Big ones, poisonous, they hunt you down in your house.

Lizards!! Big ones, poisonous, they hunt you down in your house.
Spiders!! Big ones, poisonous, they hunt you down in your house.
Scorpians!! Big ones, poisonous, they hunt you down in your house.
Wild Boar!! Big ones, poisonous, they hunt you down in your house.
Deer!! Big ones, poisonous, they hunt you down in your house.
Trout!! Big ones, poisonous, they hunt you down in your house.

It's 1,400 degrees in the shade in summer. You must drive with oven mitts on. But avoid Boise, half the license plates are from .... you get the idea.

That and half the license plates I see at a stop light are from kalifornia.

Idaho, thats where I am going, least for summer to not have to drive with oven mitts.

HEY, IF YOU'RE GOING TO USE THE NAME OF MY (barf) STATE AT LEAST SPELL IT RIGHT "COMMIFORNIA";D
Your post is why Bride (of 26 years) doesn't want to move back to Arizona.
During some traveling, we went from the Arizona Stampede run up to the border of Nevada/Idaho. Staying in Jackpot, Nevada (a lot like Primm, Nevada) and driving to Twin Falls, Idaho for EVERYTHING we needed except for gas and gambling (which I don't do). Twin Falls seemed like a nice place. Jackpot was 17* in March (not a lot colder than it is here in Victorville this morning at 22*).
Strange we don't hear much about the center of the country like Nebraska etc. Maybe they're reading and keeping quite so we won't think about their state and want to "infect" them. ;D

OP
OP
B

Bart

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Buffalo Gap, Texas
Im just starting on this thread, but I’ll certainly comment for perspective...

When I look at at Commifornia on tv all I see is liberals, wildfires and landslides. Thank goodness I know a few conservatives there who try to balance my thoughts toward the state...tho we all know they are outnumbered.

The southeast certainly deals with weather, but every part of the country has something. I’m in Northeast TX and I know of several folks that came here from there. They are still wealthy after having nothing there, selling a half acre with a trailer house, and buying 40 acre tracts and putting multiple homes on them. In the right location here you very well could build an underground garage. I’ve spotted a place on the south side of I 30 east of Mt Vernon that I believe is an underground home, but I’m too busy flying low in alert mode to look real hard when I come thru there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've often thought of building an underground garage. At this point it'd have to look like a parking lot for a supper market. I have a 2400 sq foot garage that's too small.:cry: Except for Broncos, I tried to sell my '57 Ford Fairlane 500 a few years back, but the wife didn't want any part of that. My problem is that I get attached to the vehicles. Plus I made that mistake a long time ago and sold a '57 Ford Thunderbird:cry: I can't sell my '70 Chevelle Malibu sport coupe, it was my Dad's. Wife won't let me sell her '91 Z28 Camaro, and son want's his '80 Corvette back (someday). I've said for years, "the only reason I'm still in commifornia is the garage". If a disaster happened and the garage was destroyed I'd just leave.

OP
OP
B

Bart

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Buffalo Gap, Texas
OP
OP
B

Bart

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Buffalo Gap, Texas
Well, here's ANOTHER nail in the commifornia coffin. "I just read" that in addition of just raising the fuel tax ANOTHER .15 gas/.20 diesel the communist leaders in this ^&* state want to make folks (most like pay for at their own expense) install a meter to report the number of miles driving and are charged for each mile. What the F$% is the highest gas tax in the country suppose to be for??? Legal support for illegal aliens???? Did you people in other states know that commifornia pasted a law requiring grocery stores to charge ten cents for each plastic bag a customer needs to carry out their groceries? Of course, welfare (ebt card holders) are exempt from that. WTF.
I do believe I'll be looking around come this spring/summer. As we go places with Bronco tucked inside the 5th wheel and going to events we'll take some more time and look beyond the trail.
Now if we find a state that's conservative, with no taxes, low property costs, low fuel prices, great weather year 'round. Notice which was first on my list. Then they could give the west coast of commifornia back to mexico. Of course we'd have to pay them for that.
This is from the ultra communist city of Frisco (they hate it that we don't use the whole name).
http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2017/12/11/california-considers-mileage-tax/

Last edited:

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
Well, here's ANOTHER nail in the commifornia coffin. "I just read" that in addition of just raising the fuel tax ANOTHER .15 gas/.20 diesel the communist leaders in this ^&* state want to make folks (most like pay for at their own expense) install a meter to report the number of miles driving and are charged for each mile. What the F$% is the highest gas tax in the country suppose to be for??? Legal support for illegal aliens???? Did you people in other states know that commifornia pasted a law requiring grocery stores to charge ten cents for each plastic bag a customer needs to carry out their groceries? Of course, welfare (ebt card holders) are exempt from that. WTF.
I do believe I'll be looking around come this spring/summer. As we go places with Bronco tucked inside the 5th wheel and going to events we'll take some more time and look beyond the trail.
Now if we find a state that's conservative, with no taxes, low property costs, low fuel prices, great weather year 'round. Notice which was first on my list. Then they could give the west coast of commifornia back to mexico. Of course we'd have to pay them for that.
This is from the ultra communist city of Frisco (they hate it that we don't use the whole name).
http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2017/12/11/california-considers-mileage-tax/

Certainly I'm not in favor of adding additional taxes, but...
if you think about it, toll charges like that for roads and bridges are the least socialized way to pay for them. Why should someone pay taxes for a bridge or road that they will never use?
I'm in favor of these tolls over taxing everyone. I say charge the ones who actually us it.
I know people without a car at all who pay for this stuff in their taxes. That's not right.

edmedlin

Loc.
Republic Missouri
I have lived in the SE, upper MW and my younger years in CA. I live in the Ozarks of MO now. We moved here from Milwaukee, WI area back in the mid '80s. We bought a new ranch style, 1700 sq ft home on 2.5 acres for $60,000 back in the early '90s. State income tax is low and property taxes low also. You can still find great real estate deals here. There is a ton of state and national forest land. Climate is very nice with 4 seasons and no super hot summers or really cold winters. I have a 30 x 50ft shop and 2 car attached garage. I am in my late '60s and still in pretty good health. I don't do as much off-roading as I used to, but like shows etc with some light off roading. SW Missouri does have some tornadoes. We have had a couple near us in the EF-4 and 5 the past 7-8 years. Wherever you go, you will have to put up with some negatives.

AZ73

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Certainly I'm not in favor of adding additional taxes, but...
if you think about it, toll charges like that for roads and bridges are the least socialized way to pay for them. Why should someone pay taxes for a bridge or road that they will never use?
I'm in favor of these tolls over taxing everyone. I say charge the ones who actually us it.
I know people without a car at all who pay for this stuff in their taxes. That's not right.

A little off topic, but the money to build and maintain all roads is only supplied by fuel taxes and vehicle registration fees now. So if you don't use a bridge or a road while in a vehicle, you're not paying for them. BUT you get to use them for FREE if you're walking or riding a bike, and barely pay for them at all with an electric car. Meanwhile, fuel taxes are being used for all kinds of things not related to roads and bridges - bike paths, paying off debt, parks, schools, medicaid. Why should the people paying for their roads have the money taken to pay for other people's stuff? That's not right.

Texas spends 25% of its fuel-tax revenue on education programs. Kansas has allocated some of its gas-tax revenue to pay for Medicaid and schools. Nationwide, making interest payments on debt used to fund existing infrastructure projects is one of the biggest state expenditures. California is spending it on everything under the sun. They shift it to the general fund and spend it on bullet trains, light rail, healthcare for illegals, parks, etc.

Last edited:

Slowleak

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Georgia
Here is a good analogy for why California is broke and Texas isn’t......

The other day, the Governor of California was jogging along a park road with his dog. Suddenly a coyote jumped out and attacked the dog. At first the Governor was going to come to the aid of his dog, but instead, he let the coyote kill the dog because, after all, the coyote was only doing what was natural. After running away and getting back to his office, the Governor had the entire park closed for evaluation. He commissioned a study of the park and its coyote population which cost $1mm. He then hired a consultant to develop an educational program on coyote awareness, which cost another $1mm. Before reopening the park, the Governor wanted to help the coyotes which were being encroached upon by humans, so he created "coyote safe zones" where people were not allowed to go and where the coyotes would be able to hunt. Over half the park became off limits to people. This closure and the related fencing and signage work that had to be done cost the state $3 million. Total cost: $5 million.

In Texas, the Governor was jogging with his dog and a coyote jumped out and attacked the dog. The Governor, always strapped, pulled his .38 revolver and shot the coyote. Cost: $0.50 for the bullet. The buzzards removed the coyotes carcass. Cost: $0. The Governor and his dog continued their jog.

And that is why California is broke and Texas isn't.

OP
OP
B

Bart

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Buffalo Gap, Texas

The other day, the Governor of California was jogging along a park road with his dog. Suddenly a coyote jumped out and attacked the dog. At first the Governor was going to come to the aid of his dog, but instead, he let the coyote kill the dog because, after all, the coyote was only doing what was natural. After running away and getting back to his office, the Governor had the entire park closed for evaluation. He commissioned a study of the park and its coyote population which cost $1mm. He then hired a consultant to develop an educational program on coyote awareness, which cost another $1mm. Before reopening the park, the Governor wanted to help the coyotes which were being encroached upon by humans, so he created "coyote safe zones" where people were not allowed to go and where the coyotes would be able to hunt. Over half the park became off limits to people. This closure and the related fencing and signage work that had to be done cost the state $3 million. Total cost: $5 million.

In Texas, the Governor was jogging with his dog and a coyote jumped out and attacked the dog. The Governor, always strapped, pulled his .38 revolver and shot the coyote. Cost: $0.50 for the bullet. The buzzards removed the coyotes carcass. Cost: $0. The Governor and his dog continued their jog.

Gotta LOVE it!! Luckily, I do live in San Bernardino County. Our sheriff John Mahon is in favor of all good folks having CCWs (Concealed Carry Weapons). Give who have one him at all times?

Galt72

Contributor

You nailed it!!!

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
67 RT...we get 8" of rain and I can drive to those mountains btw us and Seattle that stop it all in just a few minutes...but that's why they are all moving here, telecommuting or just living over that M-F and come home on weekends...

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
I’m with Dave on this one. Down size to a smaller house with a big garage (done) in the Midwest (already there). Use it for a base camp, then travel the states in a motor with the Bronco in tow. This is my plan, just need to reach retirement, 5-8 more years.

I would do the Tiny house thing, but then would need something to pull the bronco too

unless of course I did the long trailer w/camper, bronco on back of it

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
We seriously thought about the long trailer thing or the long TOY hauler for living quarters w/Bronco space but...they are HUGE...many of the places we like to go you can't get into because of the dirt roads or off camper...heck, even some Nat.l parks don't let them in because as we all know, many people can't safely operate or negotiate something that long around corners so they just legislate them out...so now you can't go to the Park with your monster Toy hauler or gooseneck with trailer and Bronco on it...:(

Tough choices we have... course we could live somewhere else in the world, lets say 90% of the rest of the world and we'd never retire, never own a Bronco-much less a car, not be sure where our next meal would come from, likely to disappear (shot, hacked to death, raped, gutted) if we believed or practiced a different religion or voiced our opinion on a public forum like this... guess what I'm saying is WE ARE FREAKIN' LUCKY to live where we are!!

Count our blessings guys! : )

Great discussion...

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
I’m with Dave on this one. Down size to a smaller house with a big garage (done) in the Midwest (already there). Use it for a base camp, then travel the states in a motor with the Bronco in tow. This is my plan, just need to reach retirement, 5-8 more years.

I would do the Tiny house thing, but then would need something to pull the bronco too

unless of course I did the long trailer w/camper, bronco on back of it

A tiny house with a good sized detached garage/shop would be they way I would go.
So the question is where in the country?

BGBronco

Contributor
N A S H V I L L E
Loc.
Tennessee
Lots of great places to live. Wherever you go, you will have to put up with neighbors. Choose wisely!

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Yes sir.. Amen..

got to search a little more to find the space for the longer RV/Trailer combo

Ultimate goal for me is a Class A RV within next 2 years, we are starting with a 5th wheel, test it for a year before investing in a nice Class A

We seriously thought about the long trailer thing or the long TOY hauler for living quarters w/Bronco space but...they are HUGE...many of the places we like to go you can't get into because of the dirt roads or off camper...heck, even some Nat.l parks don't let them in because as we all know, many people can't safely operate or negotiate something that long around corners so they just legislate them out...so now you can't go to the Park with your monster Toy hauler or gooseneck with trailer and Bronco on it...:(

Tough choices we have... course we could live somewhere else in the world, lets say 90% of the rest of the world and we'd never retire, never own a Bronco-much less a car, not be sure where our next meal would come from, likely to disappear (shot, hacked to death, raped, gutted) if we believed or practiced a different religion or voiced our opinion on a public forum like this... guess what I'm saying is WE ARE FREAKIN' LUCKY to live where we are!!

Count our blessings guys! : )

Great discussion...

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Answer is, If you're mobile Wherever the hell suits ya...

Go w/the weather ;D;D:cool::cool::p:p

A tiny house with a good sized detached garage/shop would be they way I would go.
So the question is where in the country?