• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Where would you live??

67RT

Bronco Guru
Not really "free" healthcare, college or so on when you pay for it.
We are looking at Southern TN for retirement. You can buy a 40 acre farm for what you are talking about spending on a few acres in CA.
You can go to college right now in Germany for free. 180 english spoken progrAms. Some feel health and educaton are rights and not privilege.

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
Drive the forest as much as you like, but once you park, you need a forest pass.

That's why I said you need to spend $30 to go into the Forest as we get nailed here in WA if you are driving, not even stopping on State land... sucks since they are shutting roads/trails down as fast a possible... USFS has formulas stating how many miles of road per section of land are permissible..doesn't matter what the conditions are or area... just a number in the book... I go to all the mtgs and we have kept two roads open AND CAUGHT THE DF&W using inaccurate data to shut down the LAST access road to the hills in the winter... DF&W got drawn and quartered in Olympia and were forbidden to shut ANY roads down for 5 years because they got caught...they'll just be smarter next time...frustrating at best...

No Hay

Bronco Guru
That's why I said you need to spend $30 to go into the Forest as we get nailed here in WA if you are driving, not even stopping on State land... sucks since they are shutting roads/trails down as fast a possible... USFS has formulas stating how many miles of road per section of land are permissible..doesn't matter what the conditions are or area... just a number in the book... I go to all the mtgs and we have kept two roads open AND CAUGHT THE DF&W using inaccurate data to shut down the LAST access road to the hills in the winter... DF&W got drawn and quartered in Olympia and were forbidden to shut ANY roads down for 5 years because they got caught...they'll just be smarter next time...frustrating at best...

Good to hear. Nice work keeping them in line!

No Hay

Bronco Guru
How much rain?

Too damn much! 40" per year and gray skies for 8 months (on the West side of the Cascades).

We're heading to Tucson in April. Probably come back to Oregon in the summers, and tour the country on the Goldwing. Eventually, in 5-10 years, when I'm done riding bicycles, motorcycles, quads and the Bronco, the plan is sell the Tucson house and maybe live on a warm beach somewhere.

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
InI'm in j
How much rain?

What's rain?
No actually we moved from a hot arid climate.
So, We picked another climate we could enjoy more.
But back to the question...We get more rain than Seattle.
Because of that rain, we get green wooded areas everywhere, great salmon fishing, and low power rates.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
B

Bart

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Buffalo Gap, Texas
How much rain?

A lot! My son lives just south in the Portland/Beaveton area. If it doesn't rain the they(not son) think they did something wrong to piss off the gods of rain. They go out and kill a fatted calf. I hear that some locals are even starting to get webbed feet.;D

broncosam

Contributor
Bronco Guru
For me it would be simply Wyoming or possibly Texas. If I could have talked the boss into it I would have moved to Wyoming years ago. I love it out there,especially up around Sheridan.

67RT

Bronco Guru
Love the NW but all the grey and rain is depressing. Not sure what the answer will be for us. I am 51 with an 11 year old so have a ways to go. Regardless, I would like to
Move somewhere more temperate than dc metro. We just get extremes.

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
I am enjoying this thread... It has re-enforced some of the things one needs to look for:
a major Airport, Good health care, favorable taxes and fees, things to do, good people, etc.
I am 56 and tired of what is going on in CA... It just seems that every 6 months there is another Bond measure, Tax increase, Fee, something that raises the cost to live here. We could talk about attitudes, traffic, the lack of water (drought noises again), housing issues, etc. I also agree that no matter where you go, in 30 years that place will change not necessarily for the better. My youngest is a Freshman, so I have 4 years to go before we can do anything. My better half does not do cold, so that limits us... I have Family in the Treasure valley area of ID and her Family is in the Tampa Bay area of FL. We have extended family in WA and AZ, but not the kind where I feel the burning desire to be near them, if you know what I mean...
I don't plan to import Californizm to where ever I go, which is why most places dislike Californian's in general.
So for the time being I will grin and bear it, and keep looking around at what is out there.

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
DO NOT come to AZ!

Snakes!! Big ones, poisonous, they hunt you down in your house.

Lizards!! Big ones, poisonous, they hunt you down in your house.
Spiders!! Big ones, poisonous, they hunt you down in your house.
Scorpians!! Big ones, poisonous, they hunt you down in your house.
Wild Boar!! Big ones, poisonous, they hunt you down in your house.
Deer!! Big ones, poisonous, they hunt you down in your house.
Trout!! Big ones, poisonous, they hunt you down in your house.

It's 1,400 degrees in the shade in summer. You must drive with oven mitts on. But avoid Boise, half the license plates are from .... you get the idea.

That and half the license plates I see at a stop light are from kalifornia.

Idaho, thats where I am going, least for summer to not have to drive with oven mitts.

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
I am enjoying this thread... It has re-enforced some of the things one needs to look for:
a major Airport, Good health care, favorable taxes and fees, things to do, good people, etc.
I am 56 and tired of what is going on in CA... It just seems that every 6 months there is another Bond measure, Tax increase, Fee, something that raises the cost to live here. We could talk about attitudes, traffic, the lack of water (drought noises again), housing issues, etc. I also agree that no matter where you go, in 30 years that place will change not necessarily for the better. My youngest is a Freshman, so I have 4 years to go before we can do anything. My better half does not do cold, so that limits us... I have Family in the Treasure valley area of ID and her Family is in the Tampa Bay area of FL. We have extended family in WA and AZ, but not the kind where I feel the burning desire to be near them, if you know what I mean...
I don't plan to import Californizm to where ever I go, which is why most places dislike Californian's in general.
So for the time being I will grin and bear it, and keep looking around at what is out there.

We'll Doug, as you know, I spend a lot of tome in your hood. Morgan Hill is pretty nice. You shouldn't have any trouble "toughing it out."
You do have the Silicone Valley rat race coming through twice a day, but it's still a very nice area.

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
We'll Doug, as you know, I spend a lot of tome in your hood. Morgan Hill is pretty nice. You shouldn't have any trouble "toughing it out."
You do have the Silicone Valley rat race coming through twice a day, but it's still a very nice area.

True Mark... I have it better than some.
But the place has changed a lot in 28 years, doubled in size. All the open fields around us have housing tracks on them. We have everyone and their Brother driving all the parallel roads in town to avoid Hwy 101 traffic.

There is only so much chit that you can stuff into a 5 lb bag.

Boss Hugg

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Sounds dumb but that's all I see on the tube (homes and property destroyed by tornadoes and hurricanes). Please feel free to comment on that.

Im just starting on this thread, but I’ll certainly comment for perspective...

When I look at at Commifornia on tv all I see is liberals, wildfires and landslides. Thank goodness I know a few conservatives there who try to balance my thoughts toward the state...tho we all know they are outnumbered.

The southeast certainly deals with weather, but every part of the country has something. I’m in Northeast TX and I know of several folks that came here from there. They are still wealthy after having nothing there, selling a half acre with a trailer house, and buying 40 acre tracts and putting multiple homes on them. In the right location here you very well could build an underground garage. I’ve spotted a place on the south side of I 30 east of Mt Vernon that I believe is an underground home, but I’m too busy flying low in alert mode to look real hard when I come thru there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk