• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

New Name Build Thread: from "Obscure Machine" to "Bayou Hazard"

OP
OP
ObscureMachine

ObscureMachine

Seatbelt Orifice Officer
Loc.
World Headquarters
Sorry for the lack of pictures. I've just been doing small uninteresting stuff.

Removing the inner rocker
Cleaning all the surfaces that will be welded
Trying to avoid pulling the outer rocker by just doing some patching
Looking for half my tools
Patching a few sheet metal pieces that needed to be replaced (rust)
Plus buying more and more parts.

That's where I am today, which a work the real job day so I'm not sure I'll get to the bronco today. sigh - jim

OP
OP
ObscureMachine

ObscureMachine

Seatbelt Orifice Officer
Loc.
World Headquarters
So since I'm trying to work on this and have it as an occasional (getting more and more often) daily driver, I've broken it down into several phases of work, that I can do without it being down for too long.

Phase I (current):
Interior Sheet Metal
Passenger Rocker
Bed Liner
Roll Cage
Soft Top
Re-route fuel line
LED marker and tail / brake lights

Phase II:
Bumpers (painted or powder-coated)
LED light bar on bumper
Inset LED lights IN bumpers
LED head lights

Phase IV:
Complete Rewire
Custom Fuse / Relay panel for extras
Custom designed and cut Dash
Custom switches,
No glove box
speakers in Dash and elsewhere

Phase V:
Front End Body Work
Replace inner wheel wells

Phase VI:
Front Springs, new bushings and new shocks all around

Phase VII:
Engine Build and possible Trans 4R70W Rebuild and install

Phase VIII:
Paint.

Phase IX
Purchase a Factory Five Cobra Replica Kit

OP
OP
ObscureMachine

ObscureMachine

Seatbelt Orifice Officer
Loc.
World Headquarters
I've been gone and missed everyone. Work got out of hand and the bronco sat for months, getting started and let run every two weeks. Oh, Say hi in the comments so I feel the Bronco Brotherhood love again!

Here's where I am:
Well, I finally gave in and decided to do a semi-frame off. The body is disconnected except for the windshield and the body mounts. It's being picked up this week and going to a place that's going to do all the interior sheet metal, patch some places, blast it, epoxy primer it, undercoat and return it straight. Then to Line-X

While the tub is gone: clean and paint the frame, move the elec fuel pump from the outside frame rail, and new fuel lines (run two anticipating EFI in the future), new springs, shocks and bushings. Serpentine Conversion. New radiator. Build and wire custom dash. Possibly new cam and timing chain. Possibly Holley EFI. Oh, and A/C!

Then, new wiring harness and put back together. No actual body work nor painting yet. I have to see where the budget is after all this.

Finally, some building progress and not "fixing buttstank."

Oh, and Mrs. Obscure has rebuilt both doors with all new parts and new removable hinges.

Good to be back at it!

Attachments

• IMG_6140.jpg
    IMG_6140.jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_6216.jpg
    IMG_6216.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_6141.jpg
    IMG_6141.jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 67

Skiddy

Bronco Guru
Good to have you back again have to stop disappearing on us like that. Makes us worry bout you ;)

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
I guess when you get back in it, you jump in full force. Good to hear your back.

Bronco Junkie

So Cal Broncos
Wow, now that is a tear down. Looks like you have a good plan. Be patient! Glad to see you post up!

OP
OP
ObscureMachine

ObscureMachine

Seatbelt Orifice Officer
Loc.
World Headquarters
On the gulf coast they are typically called a "BY - YO". And since my house is essentially around the corner from Bernard Bayou, and I'm going to paint it some kind of "radiator coolant" green - "Bayou Hazard" seems like a good name.

Update: While the body is gone...
  • A guy is picking up the rusted bronco body and some parts on Saturday.
  • Frame is ready to be cleaned, steel brushed and painted
  • Moving the electric fuel pump to a better location
  • Running new fuel lines including a return for when I go to injection
  • New emergency brake cables
  • New Springs, shocks and bushings (all here)
  • Clean and paint as much as I can on steering and axles
  • Serpentine Conversion
  • Blast, Paint and install bumpers.
  • Return parts to Tom's to exchange body panels I don't need for - blemished seats, windshield frame, fenders, and more.

Essentially getting the chassis ready but not rebuilding axles and gears.

Starts tomorrow.

OP
OP
ObscureMachine

ObscureMachine

Seatbelt Orifice Officer
Loc.
World Headquarters
Rusty Bronco beast has gone away, and put a deposit on a Bronco Design Fiberglass Tub (shout out to Corey!). So, now, the guy who just wanted a simple daily driver and was adamant about not doing a frame off......................................is doing a frame off. Starting today with Chassis and drive train.

This has turned into a "replace every bolt" project. But at least I'm starting to build and passed fixing the buttstank. All the while getting ready for a cross country move.

pictures upcoming

Oh yeah, I went to Tom's to return metal I don't need and picked up
8 pt. Family Cage
Premium Seats
Windshield Frame
Emergency brake parts
New Fenders.

Boom!

-jim

Attachments

• IMG_6525.jpg
    IMG_6525.jpg
    193.4 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_6519.jpg
    IMG_6519.jpg
    168.1 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_6522.jpg
    IMG_6522.jpg
    126.5 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
These rides like to piss us off regularly don't they..

I like the name

half cab

Contributor
Guru Bronco
What did you do with the grille with chrome trim ...Jim?

Never mind I see it sold.

OP
OP
ObscureMachine

ObscureMachine

Seatbelt Orifice Officer
Loc.
World Headquarters

I like the name

In my neck of the Mississippi, we pro-nounce it Bi-yo. So, Bi-yo Hazard. :p ;D :cool:

Gene - I actually trade it, dash and original seats, plus all the metal I purchased with Tom's. And then spent more money there!;D

77RHINO

I grew up on Bayou Bernard, two bends north of Bayou Bluff Tennis Club! Lots of great memories there. If you plan to take a boat around there often, I'd recommend taking some winter rides when the tide is low so you can see and learn where all the stumps are. During the summer, they are just below the surface even at low tide.

OP
OP
ObscureMachine

ObscureMachine

Seatbelt Orifice Officer
Loc.
World Headquarters

I like the name

I grew up on Bayou Bernard, two bends north of Bayou Bluff Tennis Club! Lots of great memories there. If you plan to take a boat around there often, I'd recommend taking some winter rides when the tide is low so you can see and learn where all the stumps are. During the summer, they are just below the surface even at low tide.

That's awesome! I'm going to be living on 52nd street just down from Bernard Bayou!

half cab

Contributor
Guru Bronco
In my neck of the Mississippi, we pro-nounce it Bi-yo. So, Bi-yo Hazard. :p ;D :cool:

Gene - I actually trade it, dash and original seats, plus all the metal I purchased with Tom's. And then spent more money there!;D

Ten four n understand ;)

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL

LOL, yes sir.. :)