• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

DIY paint

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
If your going to paint one panel at a time I find best for me to take all of my paint and thin it for spraying. I buy a gallon and a half of paint for all of the lower body inside and out and mix it all in a 5 gallon pail with the appropriate amount of the factory specified amount of reducer. BUT DON'T MIX IN THE HARDENER, mix paint and reducer really well and quickly pour it all off into quart cans about 3/4 full and seal them.

I put a clear plastic bag between the lid and the can before I seal it all up. Makes the can easy to open later especially if you get sloppy. Once you mix in the hardener you have to use it all. Mix the small cans really well since they are thinned already they will settle allot over time.

Now when your ready mix in the proper hardener in each batch and your good to go. Doing it this way each batch will be extremely matched and you only open and mix what you need. if your doing a small amount mix up half a can. Just remember to mix up the can really well and then mix in the hardener really well.

rmk57

Buy a really good respirator for painting and sanding. Chemicals they have in the paint / primers nowadays is pretty nasty stuff.

OP
OP
J

Jakedog

Thanks for all the advice. I'm going to continue doing body work while I figure out if I'll do it myself.
Definitely not going to be a mall crawler. So I'm not looking for perfection.

NC-Fordguy

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Bethel/Greenville NC
For your first paint job use a solid one color paint with a hardener. I would not use a clear coat on top. If you get runs and you probably will they can be fixed with a solid color paint with hardener. just wait at least 4 months before you go trying to sand off the runs. there are tricks to dealing with that problem. Metallic s will look like crap if you go sanding on them and if you end up having to repaint a metallic as a novice you will wish you had it sprayed.

Great advice.

If you plan on wheeling your Bronco, a solid color is easy to repair things like tree pin striping and rock rash.