• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

College Essay - Resurgence of Bronco Popularity

1971BroncoSport

My first vehicle - 1977 Black Special Decor @ $4,500. Got it in 1984 when I was 15. Worked on it for a year until I was old enough to drive it, with a license. (Alabama - amazing even at that age rust had already started in driver kick panel). Drove it through most of high school. Had a transmission problem that my Dad was leery of at the time. He decided we should sell it in 1987 @ $5,600.

I was relegated to an '86 Mazda GLC ....

I carried the fever for a long time, but moving around in the Marine Corps for 12 years didn't make it practical to get back into a Bronco project.

In 2007 - I bought a single owner uncut orginal metal no rust 1971 from a "seasoned" owner in Georgia - dipping my toe back into what would become a future obsession. I was at a different place in life (had money) and it became a great project to spend untold hours with my Dad and it was something to bond over - something that distance, time, kids, and work hadn't afforded us from 1989 when I went to college, the military, and new life in the civilian world. But there wasn't enough work to do to the Bronco due to the quality life the PO had kept it in.

Next came a 50K original mile 1973 from a farm in Gillette WY in 2009. While farm kept in good climate - this one gave Dad and me a real project. My inner redneck vision of what we could do with it got us in knee deep. (See garage).

Still wasn't satisfied.

In 2010 I took the plunge with a 1973 Baja - which when @bajabroncos had owned it was a memorable Bronco that had a great story. Unfortunately - the stable of 3 Bajas that I bought it from in NJ had not treated it with great care and the weather had taken its toll. 2.5 years later and untold hours with my Dad working on it - it has been resurrected. It is truly a project that has made us proud. I park the F350 and Explorer outside in favor of the Baja.

If that wasn't enough - I'm now 3+ years into a frame off on a 1974. While buying a new tub would have saved a lot of time - as a prior poster said - there is pride in reviving these Broncos piece by piece - and I've replaced a lot of sheet metal.

So that's my story.

BTW in the midst of all the above my Dad and I (less me) redid a 1970 U14 Sport which is rare among the survivors. My brother, Dad, and me as moral support or via skype did at 1972.

My son will be driver eligible in 2019 - and we are already talking about adding the next generation Bronco to the stable.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
If it wasnt for the internet there would be no resurgence in the Bronco. The Bronco was a fantastic piece of farm equipment adaped to commuter use. If you look at all the survivor Broncos they still have their stock drivetrains. Every other maker and thier users out there wished they had a stock Bronco drivetrain. In stock form you have to try hard to bust it. Even when modifyed beyond design it is still a very heavy duty driveline.

Back in the late 80's parts starting drying up. They were difficult to find unless you knew someone. Then comes the internet with its open connection accross the globe. People were free to share information, parts and modifications. Through the transfer of information it was easier for our few parts suppliers to grow to many suppliers.

Sales draw the demand for replacement and new parts. Dennis Carpenter making a deal with Ford to use Fords old tooling probably widened Fords eyes to the increased demand in resurgence of the Ford Bronco. Then come the off shore parts suppliers. Enough interest comes the Icon comes into the fold rebuilding and upgrading the Ford Bronco into 6 figures.

Then the huge media campains and promotion of the elite Icon brand. It was broad cast to the rich and famous as some upcomming star performer. Broncos are off and running again. With 6 figure builds, that left the $10,000 Broncos allot of room to grow. So rebuild tv jumps in and opens up the sleeping public that old Broncos are the next classic cars that have enough popularity and enough surviving trucks to become a trend and like it or not the Bronco is on the move.

Tiko433

Contributor
I know just enough to be dangerous
Loc.
South West Florida
^^^^^ well stated Rusty Truck! I dream Ford will not loose sight of that with the new Bronco a solid drive train, full removal top is a must. RRRRRR I got sucked in again dam I hope Ford gets it right . The Bronco is a simple fun 4x4 . Stock they are cool Modded they are cool .

Last edited:

BroncoJimbo

Contributor
Long-term owner
Loc.
North GA
I have mine for a lot of the reasons listed here.
One thing I always say to people who offer to take it off my hands.
Bronco's are not bought. They are earned. I won't sell it to someone who just wants his 16 yr. old to have the coolest thing in the parking lot. Broncos are earned by late nights in the garage and dirty hands.

sriha

I fall into the worked on with family category. My dad knew his uncle had one in the junkyard and pulled it out. It was too rusty for a complete rebuild with our time and money but doable to make into a weekend off roader that could still be driven on the street. Once I was older and out of the house it became more of an off roader but still can be sometimes driven on the street. Some day I hope to either bring mine back to a nicer condition or have a second that could almost be a DD at least in summer. What I like about the Bronco is that it is easy to work on, unique, and fully capable. All the SUVs seem to look the same and it got even worse when the CUVs started coming out. The majority of people don't go off road anymore and car manufactures make vehicles so it is less appealing. There are a few trucks and the Jeeps that are ready right off the lot but you see more lifted big tire trucks in the mall parking lot than on the trail. Broncos are an exception. Most owners will wheel what they got take it easier if they have a stock Bronco but they still get out and get after it. There are a few who don't but you can't blame them because they probably spent countless hours and money to get it to its current condition and wouldn't want to have to do it over again.

sriha

What part of NE WI are you? I am originally from the Green Bay area and consider myself a MN transplant. I get back there on occasion to see family yet.

Bronco Junkie

So Cal Broncos
You know, I always thought interest turned to vintage trucks and 4x4's because muscle cars were priced out for the average Joe. But now I see Broncos selling for more than Chevelles on car auctions! :eek:

half cab

Contributor
Guru Bronco
BTW Erin I checked out your gallery and cool '68 half cab you got there.:cool:

OP
OP
E

Erin

Loc.
Northeast Wisconsin
Ok... So for off-road drivers. What is the desire to drive these older 4x4's compared to newer vehicles?

Wheel base? Flexibility? The ease of fixing/replacing parts?

half cab

Contributor
Guru Bronco
I always like the thrill of knowing in the back of my mind when I leave in mine I could brake down any moment but chances are with a few spare parts n tools I carry I will make it back home.

Off road around here mostly means a large mud hole. Logging roads and along the edges of crop fields.

1strodeo

Squirrel Watcher
Loc.
Wisconsin
Ok... So for off-road drivers. What is the desire to drive these older 4x4's compared to newer vehicles?

Oh that's an easy one Erin, because you're more connected to the terrain in an older vehicle! You feel like you're operating a machine rather than just driving a car, a machine that was made to go anywhere and to do anything but float! Hell I bet you could even parallel park an EB easier than most compact cars thanks to the amazing turning radius.

And then there's the cool factor as was mentioned early on...just take a look at this photo, I mean I got a two-tone ugly-blue 50-yr-old rustbucket and for some reason it just POPS in this pic...must be the lighting. %)

Attachments

• BroncoHeep.jpg
    BroncoHeep.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 73

LilMixedUp

Loc.
Bonaire
fell in Love with the Bronco while in the Marines... bought my first one in 1980 and have owned one ever since. Just like the way it looks, drives, and handles. As mentioned above it looks cool "bone stock" or fully customized. Just driving one every day you gets looks from young and old alike. Just look at it; what's not to like?

LilMixedUp

Loc.
Bonaire
PS!!! just remembered saw a Col driving an old 69 one day... beat up and rusty. Had a sticker on back glass "Jeeps so sissy, even Barbie had one" laughed so hard almost wrecked mine!

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru

Yes all the above. But the reallity is the Bronco needs nothing to go out and have fun. Remove the top and take a drive and your hooked. You also get to fall back to simpler times and enjoy the ride the way it was meant to be.

The whole time the feeling of freedom, sticking the finger to government controls forcing you to drive the way they want you to. The car they want built for you. The taxes and fees they want to submit upon you. And the fuels they want to force upon you. Its no different than the struggle the motorcycle guys have with helmet laws. Forcing your head in their bucket to protect you from yourself.

Everyone desiring a move back to simpler times, to lifes freedoms before government over reach and opression of the people. Classic vehicles are just a way to fight back. To redefine your soul.

BajaBronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Erin, Love that you are doing this. My final paper for my major in Film was about Theory of the Photographic image as art, as told through and compared to The Stroppe Broncos. Hahah. I got an A. NE Wisconsin, huh? I summer on Madeline Island, which is just plain N Wi.