• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Bronco #1 has been revealed!

Broncitis

MEB Founder
Are there any other Pre-Prods known to survive? Possibly some of the first Broncos Stroppe got were and do some of them survive?

I don't think Stroppe got into these until a bit later when they were well into production.

Todd, Andrew?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

JGbronc

Bronco Maniac
Are there any other Pre-Prods known to survive?

Known, no. But I've always wondered if there were any out there somewhere that the owner simply did not know what they had. Same goes for the possibility of Broncos between 000 and 006. Someone's hunting rig or yard ornament may be the first built at the truck plant or another prototype. You never know.

I think it was 055 that showed up on Ebay a little while back and the owner didn't have a clue until someone told them.

House

Minutia Militia
So much for respecting the new AND previous owners wishes to "wait"on more pics and info....... as was mentioned on THIS forum in another thread.

That pic was posted by the previous owners son on social media. Fair game! LOL

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
I don't think Stroppe got into these until a bit later when they were well into production.

Todd, Andrew?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I don't believe we've ever found any specific physical evidence that pre-production trucks were used as racers. Unser has a '66 model year VIN on it. Our racer has #1 '68 VIN on it (which Marti claims doesn't exist in his records).

Willie Stroppe has told the story numerous times of how he went back to Michigan with his dad to get wrecked pre-production trucks to build into race trucks (quantities vary depending on which day the story is told) and that's how those stories have been told.

Todd Z.

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
It is currently believed the 289, beltline and rocker trim were installed by FoMoCo for use as a test mule of items released later in 66 and 67, but it is possible these were done at the Ranch by Shelby and crew. I think more research is need to confirm conclusively.

That's been my guess since I first learned of the truck many years ago but I haven't been able to conclusively prove it one way or another and I'm not sure how anyone would prove it.

I just hope that a group? of knowledgable folks can go over that rig with a fine tooth comb before it comes apart for restoration.

Todd Z.

FRANKO289

Contributor
Bronco enthusiast
That's been my guess since I first learned of the truck many years ago but I haven't been able to conclusively prove it one way or another and I'm not sure how anyone would prove it.

Todd Z.

well you never know who got pix of what and is still alive to tell !!

anyway ....

congrats to the new owner and the seller !

1, is the front clip inc. grill original to the bronco or all front parts late 60s early 70s ?

2, any actual paperwork that is was owned my C. Shelby ?

just asking since the ranch it lived on for its first decate was owned by 4 guys :
Bill Neale, Dave Witts, The Director of Promotions for Ford & C. Shelby ..... D. Witts sold the bronco in the late 70s ! ( I believe 78 !?)

edit: John Bowers was the Director of advertising and sales promotions from 1964-1966 @ Ford !

Last edited:

kb6677

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Owners son posted the picture! I just brought it over here.
Thank You
I saw it on the book of faces as well-including the "brag" on what they paid for it originally- sure he is telling everyone what they sold it to a "sucker" for which I am sure since you are in the know, you know that as well-not. The joke will be on them when it is restored and makes the appropriate rounds with documentation etc.....

Anyway to your deal- "over here" is where the other thread specifically mentioned no more pics etc. The new owner had plans etc.

I am reminded of junior high when we could not wait to spill the beans on something we saw or heard because it was the cool thing everyone was talking about and we wanted to be cool.
Thank you

Last edited:

JGbronc

Bronco Maniac
Wow, am I on Pirate?

Lot more people on Facebook than on here, just saying. The new owner's dream of a paparazzi filled "first sighting" unveil went out the window when the pics went to Facebook, which was done by the PO's son as already mentioned. A large majority of the members here are on Facebook anyways.

At the end of the day, its just a Bronco. As hypocritical as that may sound of me its not worth a forum fight.

Slowleak

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Georgia
I'm sure the fact that we saw some pictures of it is not gonna hurt anyone. The earth will continue to spin.......

Thanks for posting it Dawg!

GSP9

Loc.
State College
Anyone notice the date of the seller's son's picture.........looks like he posted it on October 28th. So it's been out there awhile.

migs

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Should be focusing on the real issue here.... that Russia is probably behind the leak:p;D%)

OP
OP
West Tn Dawg

West Tn Dawg

BULLDOG
Loc.
Kenton
Thanks jgbronc. Don't worry, I dont know who pissed in his wheaties, but I won't let him bother me enough to lower myself to the jr. high banter.
Thanks again.

BigToe

Cool truck, cool story, but doesn't look any different than a thousand other half cabs runnin' around out there, I wouldn't get too bent over a couple pics leaking out if I were them.%)

Broncitis

MEB Founder
I saw it on the book of faces as well-including the "brag" on what they paid for it originally- sure he is telling everyone what they sold it to a "sucker" for which I am sure since you are in the know, you know that as well-not. The joke will be on them when it is restored and makes the appropriate rounds with documentation etc.....

Anyway to your deal- "over here" is where the other thread specifically mentioned no more pics etc. The new owner had plans etc.

I am reminded of junior high when we could not wait to spill the beans on something we saw or heard because it was the cool thing everyone was talking about and we wanted to be cool.
Thank you

I'm on several, but not all of the Bronco groups on Facebook. Did the sellers son post it to one of them, or just on his personal page? I looked at his page, and did not see mention of a price his dad bought or sold it for and he did not seem to be a "Bronco guy" per say. I know what it was bought for and have a good idea of the range it was sold for, but that is not mine to discuss either.

When it comes to rare and interesting finds, especially when they surely cost someone a bunch of coin and likely set a record for a barn find sale price, it is always just respectful to let them reveal what they want in the own time.

There are at least two people on here who have known of its location and had photos of it for 18 years, but out of respect for privacy as requested by the previous owner, they never posted them. The sellers son was not much more part of that deal than I was just because he was standing there and I was on the other end of the phone when Seth was looking at it. I'm sure if Seth knew the son would post it, he would have had him specifically agree not to.

It is just common courtesy and respect for other peoples business (especially the new owners) when they want to let the cat out of the bag on their own terms.

Slowleak is correct, the world will not stop spinning, but some common courtesy goes a long way. There will be plenty of info out there in days, weeks and months to come I am sure, so I will have to agree with Karl, a little patience would not have hurt anyone.

If you have some real inside scoop, then share that too if you are going to put it out there, if you just happen to stumble on some pics with no insight to the story or history, that is really not the scoop, just some pics.

I've shared all I can, including the VIN pic since many of us have seen the rubbing for 16-18 years now as well a a few other comments now related to the photos that were posted.

This will likely be researched and documented enough during its restoration that someone could probably wright a book about it when it is all said and done.

OP
OP
West Tn Dawg

West Tn Dawg

BULLDOG
Loc.
Kenton
Back to the Bronco........
I,m like half cab. Not sure what I had in my mind what the first Bronco would look like, but this was not it. ��
It is pretty sweet tho!

Fastwest

It's a truck, picks got leaked...big deal....I'm sure it's a great story. Hope everyone involved gets rich. Anyway