• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Got a new lady in my life

bugout75

Loc.
Auburn, ME
I am new to these forums ... and just recently got a bronco again (after 25 years)!
I was wondering what size lift is the biggest you can install without worrying about pinion angle, pitman arms, shocks, and all that?
I would like to have about 5-6" total ... and so I figured I probably couldn't do more than 2 1/2" Suspension and then just add the rest (2-3") in a body lift?
Thanks!

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Hey bugout, welcome to classicbroncos. What Bronco did you get? When you have a chance, post up some pics of it so we can check it out.

Ya still got lots of reading up to do for that much lift. Even with a minimal suspension and more body. Lots of things to consider.
But first, what do you intend to do with it, and how large of a tire are you trying to squeeze in there?

Since you said 25 years, I'm going to go out on a limb and guess you're older and wiser now, with a more finicky feel for what you like on the road? Are you used to driving more modern cars and trucks nowadays, or still drive old stuff?
Reason I say that is, that there is no suspension lift over 1.5" where you don't need to use steering correction parts such as pitman arms and such. Not if you want it to steer and handle like a stock Bronco that is.
The old rule of thumb regarding 2.5" is bogus. It's just so you can justify saving money on extra parts. That or it was coined by people that didn't care how their Broncos handled or only took them on short jaunts in town and then off to the trails.
Any other circumstances (cruising a freeway or riding with family for instance) requires that you correct the steering angles for anything over 2" of suspension lift.

And tire size? If you're hoping to run 36" tires or larger, better get used to it not steering like you remember, or expected it to.
Yes, it can be done. Lots of members here driving on 35 to 42 inch tires and fairly happy with it's street manners. But they didn't just bolt a few things on and call it good either.

So let us know what you're expectations are for your Bronco and see where it goes. Many of us (most of us even?) don't like the look of EB's with 2 or 3 inch body lifts, so stick to stock height or 1" lift body mounts. The 1" integrated body lift is very popular, but more than that and the gaps at the bumpers and under the body just need to be addressed. Not to mention linkages, fan shrouds and such. Less is usually better.

Pinion angles are not such a big deal, as they can be corrected by shims or relocating the perches. Caster is another beast.
Luckily your idea of 2.5" of lift (or at least a moderate lift) makes caster easier to deal with. But it also depends on what you have now, and what you want to end up with when you're done.

So what year is your Bronco?
Is it running and driving, or a box-o-parts at this point? Lots of those types of projects in the works right now.
If driving, you should consider taking it to an alignment shop to simply get a printout of all of your settings right now. This way you know if your caster is sufficient, or will need to be fiddled with, and by how much.
It's a bonus when you do this before you tear the truck apart. At the very least it helps to choose which C-bushings you will want.

Does it already have power steering?

Just a few questions anyway.
When you feel like it, you could add some of that info to your signature line so in the future we don't have to ask or look at past discussions to know what you have.

For your important questions like lift and such, I would start a new thread even. Make it your own and we can try to answer the best we can.

Good luck. Very interested to hear what your intentions and expectations are though. Definitely will help us help you with suggestions and such.

Paul