• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

1972 Baja Barn Find (Barney)

BajaBronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Was hard to let go and was not sold. Will start a thread in about a month on the other bronco involved!!! Excited for both broncos futures!

BajaBronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Also. Was not a stripped 3sp Baja. Was a marketing truck retained at pico Rivera for possibly demo or exec use and sold as a used car later. No dealer in Marti.

6677ebman

Bronco Guru
Awesome! Not too many Stroppes made it to the Southeast, to my knowledge. My '71 somehow wound up with a Stroppe steering wheel though! That's as close as I've came to owning one. One on eBay now bringing a good price

notorious

Loc.
Nashvegas
How does this even happen anymore???
Great find even has the original Commando tires and blue wheel. Incredible.

BajaBronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Awesome! Not too many Stroppes made it to the Southeast, to my knowledge. My '71 somehow wound up with a Stroppe steering wheel though! That's as close as I've came to owning one. One on eBay now bringing a good price

Yeah gotta watch out for the dealer converted BajA like the one on eBay right now. Note white flares, nearly no options, all black hood, unpainted flares. It's a BajA by the numbers yes, but the evidence of its history to great to ignore. So cal dealer plucked from stroppes inventory and did "conversion" in their own service dept. I have a small handful of ones like this well documented as such in my registry.

Andy's barn find is a legit, stroppe converted BajA, as many of you can tell by the photos.
Andrew

OP
OP
andyp

andyp

Contributor
The shipper showed up today. The 72 is heading for my brother's place in Missouri. He's taking on the project of cleaning and making it road worthy. Can't wait to see the results.

akafrankcastle

Loc.
Kansas City
The shipper showed up today. The 72 is heading for my brother's place in Missouri. He's taking on the project of cleaning and making it road worthy. Can't wait to see the results.

Lemme know where in MO your brother is. If ya want. My '72 Stroppe modified would love to meet a brother from the same class year.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
If it's a "P" or a "Q" in the VIN, post it up over on Viper's "P's & Q's" thread.

Be nice to figure out a way to keep it registered in CA (not as nice as MO, but with the history intact) so you can keep the plates. I'd try to keep the plates anyway, just for the nostalgia aspect.

Speaking of which... Even if you update certain things like the suspension and other things to make it more friendly, I'd still hang on to all the old original stuff. If it ever gets restored to it's original glory, it'd be nice if it was all original.
Frankly, like the others, I'm for keeping it completely as-is too. It's in too good of shape right now.

Have fun with it.

Paul

BajaBronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
What a great Baja. I'm glad it's in good hands, but I will miss it. I wouldn't have given it up if I hadn't been able to get this back AND be sure Barney was going to a good home with andyp and his brother :

Attachments

• flarecomparison.jpg
    flarecomparison.jpg
    116.7 KB · Views: 185
  • UnserMint1.jpg
    UnserMint1.jpg
    217.4 KB · Views: 179
  • racer113paintBWO.jpg
    racer113paintBWO.jpg
    173.5 KB · Views: 203
OP
OP
andyp

andyp

Contributor
If it's a "P" or a "Q" in the VIN, post it up over on Viper's "P's & Q's" thread.

Be nice to figure out a way to keep it registered in CA (not as nice as MO, but with the history intact) so you can keep the plates. I'd try to keep the plates anyway, just for the nostalgia aspect.

Speaking of which... Even if you update certain things like the suspension and other things to make it more friendly, I'd still hang on to all the old original stuff. If it ever gets restored to it's original glory, it'd be nice if it was all original.
Frankly, like the others, I'm for keeping it completely as-is too. It's in too good of shape right now.

Have fun with it.

Paul
It's registered to me so it stays a California truck just visiting Missouri ;D

BajaBronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Bill's working his magic! Nice work on the top!!

Andy, you should link to his former work on the 70.

tirewater

Contributor
Loc.
San Francisco Bay Area
Bill's working his magic! Nice work on the top!!

Andy, you should link to his former work on the 70.

Yes, please link. :) I need to clean my paint and would like the best method. Clay doesn't seem to get the black marks out from bird droppings.

Nice Bronco btw, look forward to seeing it clean.

(edit: or better yet, since it's in California, who's cleaning...doh just realized it's in MO now... :p )