• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Project Duece Wagon - Explorer EFI Install

OP
OP
EBGeek

EBGeek

Gambling209 - I've been told the answer to that is an emphatic yes, although I've personally never ran one. Its been said the explorer TC is better as it has a higher stall speed so it doesn't pull at idle. I currently have my idle set all the way down to 550 (I believe) and it still jumps a little bit when putting into gear with my 1972 C4 TC.

These threads seem to have some great info on the subject:

http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=269137

http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=270424

gambling209

thanks for the links. from what I read on them, they are still using a c4 converter. they just went to one with a little stall to it. the trans that came in the explorer is a 4r70w. it is a lockup torque converter. the c4 is not. think the input shafts are different on each trans. have one of each in the garage, so I could look. but I'm at work. think you will find out if you try to go this route it will not work. by the way, going the route that you went. explorer motor, c4, 33's, and 4.11's.

OP
OP
EBGeek

EBGeek

That makes sense actually - the fact that its a lockup converter would make it entirely different. Good luck with your build, Gambling. If you were closer, I'd sell you a really low mileage C4 for a steal. I need another gear in my transmission...

gambling209

I know what you mean about the other gear. But if you change for the other gear you're probably going to have to change the gears in your front and rear differentials. If not your RPMs will be too low and your motor would lug long

maup

Thanks again EB Geek.

As usual the junkyard list grows by the hour!

OP
OP
EBGeek

EBGeek

I hear ya, Gambling. Guess I need to use some Google-fu and see what the others are running.

I don't have a tach, but my ODB tool says that I'm running over 4k at interstate speed (70ish - I didn't write it down). I had no idea it was turning that fast, so I've started dialing it back and letting the old man in me come out, trying to stay around 65 or under (which is difficult to do around Atlanta).

OP
OP
EBGeek

EBGeek

Ok - I got some researching to do now. I knew I had looked this up when I was building my rig and didn't remember the RPM's being estimated that high. I just went and checked the online RPM / gear calculator and it says that at 70mph with 4.11 gears and 33in tires, I should only be turning 3k.

So, either someone changed my front/rear gearsets and its taller than 4.11, or my ODB tool is lying. I put the final drive output at 1.00, which should be correct for the C4, right?

Anyone see where I'm missing something?

gambling209

How about 3,000 is what my Bronco I used to have did with the exact same setup. Turn the tires Count drive shaft turns see what you have

OP
OP
EBGeek

EBGeek

Got to spend some quality time going back and updating all my pictures as I made the mistake of using Photobucket when I set up my thread. Going to throw some current pics out while I'm updating my thread...

HIZiidP.jpg

IwduoLT.jpg

ls0Mk8I.jpg

nuyyn9h.jpg

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Pretty color.. Just kind of pops at ya makes you look twice