• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Project Duece Wagon - Explorer EFI Install

71BroncoSport

Great write-up, thanks.

Question on the year of the Explorer engine. I'm looking for a donor now, and my thought was to get a 96-97 in hopes that I can use the headers/full exhaust I already have on my 71 302.

I know the 98-01 have a different head.

What did you do for exhaust?

Ironically, I'm finding cheaper 98's, but have been avoiding them because of the P head.

Thanks.

OP
OP
EBGeek

EBGeek

You're correct about the header use on the newer models, there just seems to be some disparity about exactly when the change was made. Best thing would be to look at the head and if you see plugs that enter the head at 90deg, you're going to have to do some grinding to enable you to use your manifolds.

I went with a pre-bent system from Duff's. I didn't save much money over getting a local muffler shop to install a set for me, but I honestly didn't want to hassle with trailering a non-running rig to the shop. The exhaust system worked out great, I'm hoping to get some pictures today and get them posted.

71BroncoSport

You're correct about the header use on the newer models, there just seems to be some disparity about exactly when the change was made. Best thing would be to look at the head and if you see plugs that enter the head at 90deg, you're going to have to do some grinding to enable you to use your manifolds.

I went with a pre-bent system from Duff's. I didn't save much money over getting a local muffler shop to install a set for me, but I honestly didn't want to hassle with trailering a non-running rig to the shop. The exhaust system worked out great, I'm hoping to get some pictures today and get them posted.

Are you saying Duffs has a set of headers for the GT-40P? Or complete exhaust for a 98+ EFI swap? Their site isn't too search friendly.

I actually thought there was a header design that the 98+ motors needed to run correctly. The stock off the Expy has 2 exhaust ports going in to each other before exiting. I thought that was because of a change in the firing order, but not sure.

Ironic that you broke bolts removing the water pump. When I did a 5.0 conversion from a 1992 Thunderbird Sport to my 69 Mustang, I changed the water pump because it's the smart thing to do, even tho the engine only had 51,000 miles. Sure enough I broke a bolt. PITA. I'm almost thinking I WON'T do that even though these motors have around 150,000 miles. I'm sure I'll talk myself into a new pump...

Exhaust pics would be outstanding! Thanks.

OP
OP
EBGeek

EBGeek

I think what you're referring to on the 98 headers is the same on the others as well. The stock headers are a hot mess, with some exhaust ports going to others before going to the collector. Not to mention the insane crimping of the headers for some apparent reason. I assume someone with a college education had a reason for it, but it looked absolutely ridiculous and I'm certain it was drag on performance. I wish I had a picture of them handy. Some of the crimps looked so tight you couldn't fit a finger through it.

OP
OP
EBGeek

EBGeek

Here are the pictures of my exhaust:

7kh4rvE.jpg

aXBNLeT.jpg

QQNmeFQ.jpg

azAeWuA.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
EBGeek

EBGeek

71BroncoSport

Are those the exhaust manifolds from your stock 302?

Curious why you had to grind? Clearance for???

OP
OP
EBGeek

EBGeek

Yes, stock manifolds. I didn't have to grind anything, as I don't have the P-heads. I was just saying if you ended up with set of P-heads in your scenario, you could make the stock manifolds work, it would just require some grinding due to the spark plug clearance.

71BroncoSport

Yes, stock manifolds. I didn't have to grind anything, as I don't have the P-heads. I was just saying if you ended up with set of P-heads in your scenario, you could make the stock manifolds work, it would just require some grinding due to the spark plug clearance.

My mistake... I thought you had a 98 motor... I've looked at so many threads/builds, I can't keep them all straight!

So I think it's safe to assume I can bolt up my entire working exhaust from my original 302 to a 96-97 motor??

12191627_10205110131899251_476363505549684540_n.jpg

OP
OP
EBGeek

EBGeek

No worries. Yep, assuming you can find a non-P motor (96-97.5), they'll bolt right back onto the new motor.

71BroncoSport

Interesting on the half year in 1997... Thanks for the heads up. Looking at a 97 tonight and a 96 tomorrow. Both with a little under 150,000 miles.

Thank you again for this thread and all the detailed pics.

No worries. Yep, assuming you can find a non-P motor (96-97.5), they'll bolt right back onto the new motor.

doghows72

Bronco Guru
The only headers I've found are made by Sanderson and sold by Bronco Hut. If you need them for the P heads that is. You can look on the front of the head and if there are three hash marks it is NOT a P head, if there are four marks it is a P head.
I bought the Bronco Hut headers and they fit both the P and non P heads so my exhaust is done already. I'm swapping they engines this spring.

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
The switch to P heads was in Jan. or Feb. of '97
(even Ford seems to be unsure exactly when)

If you can see the sparkplugs; on the P heads they stick straight out to the side, on all previous small block Ford heads there is an angle to them.

OP
OP
EBGeek

EBGeek

Yep, EFIGuy did that as part of my engine harness. I haven't had a chance to hook anything up to it yet, but I'd like to get one of the Bluetooth devices that'll transmit live engine info to my phone for troubleshooting and such.

71BroncoSport

Thanks. You have the check engine light, which I've already purchased thanks to your link. "IF" you throw a CEL, you're covered obviously. Bluetooth would be nice, but how often would you really need it? Hopefully you're not throwing that many codes.

Very sad what EFIGuy and his family are going through.

Hopefully I can figure out the wiring. Thanks again for the reply.

OP
OP
EBGeek

EBGeek

No codes yet, thankfully. I just think live monitoring would be a 'nice to have', giving me the ability to geek-out by playing with my engine through my phone.

I also don't have a tach, and have no intention of putting one in. But I'm genuinely curious what my cruising/idling RPMs are, so the ability to see that would be nice.

If I had one thing I'd change, it'd be to give my engine a lower idle RPM with a quicker return to idle from startup/warmup/etc. My I might get Garry to adjust it one of these days, just seems like such a trivial thing and I don't want to bother him at this point.

Good luck on the wiring, 71BroncoSport...