• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

1972-73 owners-mind your P's and Q's

FRANKO289

Contributor
Bronco enthusiast
Please ask him if you see him Franko. I don't know if my above theory holds any water but it sure seems like a bunch of the earliest '73s were delayed in assembly.

He is a member on CB but seldom online.
I show him this thread no his www box so he can read it for him self !! :cool:

you doing anything w. the 77s ???
bc early in 77 ( dont remember the month ) as they ran out option parts they just rolled the broncos of the assembly line without the ordered option / options to the DSO dealer !!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Viperwolf1

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Here's what we have so far.

Attachments

• untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    29.4 KB · Views: 160
OP
OP
Viperwolf1

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
He is a member on CB but seldom online.
I show him this thread no his www box so he can read it for him self !! :cool:

you doing anything w. the 77s ???
bc early in 77 ( dont remember the month ) as they ran out option parts they just rolled the broncos of the assembly line without the ordered option / options to the DSO dealer !!

I'm pretty sure I have the '77s mostly figured out. They had some odd VIN progression because there almost wasn't enough letters in the alphabet back then.

AZ73

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Here's what we have so far.

My Q235 had the vapor canister (white plastic) behind the DS striker post, and a return line. It also had a charcoal canister under the PS seat on the frame. It had the weird 6 post fuel switch, but I'm not entirely sure that switch was the factory switch that came with it as there seems to be some extra screw holes where it mounted that I haven't figured out. Also had the dash bars and Power Steering, but a 3 speed.

Skiddy

Bronco Guru
I'm pretty sure I have the '77s mostly figured out. They had some odd VIN progression because there almost wasn't enough letters in the alphabet back then.

so someone added more letters to alpabet later;D intersting thread, posted to subscribe;)

Bronco Junkie

So Cal Broncos
I noticed someone else mentioned the evap canister. My truck came with the canister on the passenger side bolted to the frame but I think another 73 Bronco mentioned they had the clear/white canister located in the engine compartment.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
what are the 'dash bars'? significance?

Those were the indicator lights beneath the control knobs that "officially" began in the '73 model year.
Since it was one of the changes that year, it's just another interesting data point to see when the actual change occurred and if they all happened at the same time.

Paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I noticed someone else mentioned the evap canister. My truck came with the canister on the passenger side bolted to the frame but I think another 73 Bronco mentioned they had the clear/white canister located in the engine compartment.

That's an interesting one. I would "assume" that it had been changed at some point, since the only ones I've ever seen before '76 on the Broncos were the steel frame-mounted ones.
But you never know...

Many other vehicles got them a little earlier then the EB's did I think, so it would be interesting to see what year that plastic style started popping up on pickups and cars.

Paul

AZ73

Contributor
Bronco Guru
That's an interesting one. I would "assume" that it had been changed at some point, since the only ones I've ever seen before '76 on the Broncos were the steel frame-mounted ones.
But you never know...

Many other vehicles got them a little earlier then the EB's did I think, so it would be interesting to see what year that plastic style started popping up on pickups and cars.

Paul

See post 44. I had the charcoal canister on the frame under the passenger seat AND the white plastic vapor canister with the 4 lines running into it in the driver's side rear quarter panel behind the driver's door strike post. It wasn't in the engine compartment.

Attachments

• rsz_img_4862.jpg
    rsz_img_4862.jpg
    156.9 KB · Views: 96
  • rsz_img_4989.jpg
    rsz_img_4989.jpg
    220.9 KB · Views: 90

demesauce

Loc.
Shaver Lake, CA
See post 44. I had the charcoal canister on the frame under the passenger seat AND the white plastic vapor canister with the 4 lines running into it in the driver's side rear quarter panel behind the driver's door strike post. It wasn't in the engine compartment.

I thought all broncos had the "hidden" evap canister behind the driver's seat. The charcoal canister is different, on earlier models it is like a old metal coffee can under the passenger side seat, mounted to the frame.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
They went hand in hand. The one behind the seat was a condensing tank so that the too-low mounted steel frame-mounted charcoal canister would not get liquid gas into it. Pre-evap Broncos didn't have either one.
Once they went to the high-mounted plastic charcoal canister in '76, the behind-the-seat tank went away.

Paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru

Ahh, but my comment was in regard to Bronco Junkie's post about one in the engine compartment on a '73.
Nothing about the plastic condensing tank behind the seat.

Thanks

Paul

americanhorses

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Clovis, California
Those were the indicator lights beneath the control knobs that "officially" began in the '73 model year.
Since it was one of the changes that year, it's just another interesting data point to see when the actual change occurred and if they all happened at the same time.

Paul

Thanks!....then update Q502 to with dash bars;D

Bronco Junkie

So Cal Broncos
Ahh, but my comment was in regard to Bronco Junkie's post about one in the engine compartment on a '73.
Nothing about the plastic condensing tank behind the seat.

Thanks

Paul

I looked in another thread to see if I could find where I saw that...but I could not find it. I may remember that wrong.

americanhorses

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Clovis, California
My Q235 had the vapor canister (white plastic) behind the DS striker post, and a return line. It also had a charcoal canister under the PS seat on the frame. It had the weird 6 post fuel switch, but I'm not entirely sure that switch was the factory switch that came with it as there seems to be some extra screw holes where it mounted that I haven't figured out. Also had the dash bars and Power Steering, but a 3 speed.

My 6-post switch started leaking about 15 years ago. When I called all the suppliers and described it...there was silence. The consensus was to put in the 3-post and cut all that stuff out. anyone need a canister?

Blue71

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Hey Viper, I had a '72 with U15GLP89120 .... 3speed column, T Shift with dash bar lights.

Blue71