• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Ax15 vs nv3550

Tiko433

Contributor
I know just enough to be dangerous
Loc.
South West Florida
I'm still researching which transmission to go with. The NV3550 and AX15 seem close to each other. For the guys have driven both which one to you like. The AX15 has a little higher First gear. My truck is street driven most of the time. Also it looks like the shifter is placed a little further back in the tunnel.

chuckji

Contributor
Loc.
SE Michigan
Thanks for posting the question. I'm going to be making the change from my 3 speed and also considering these two transmissions.
I heard the NV3550 has a 'sporty' feel, I wonder if the AX15 is as 'sporty'.
Also, I believe the NV3550 is no longer in production so you can't get a new one and parts availability in the future...?

WILDHORSES

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
USA
One thing to consider is do you want new, used or rebuilt. Our preference is new. We switched over to the AX15 when the new 3550s dried up. Before that we had no reason to consider the AX. Since the switch we have had some of our shops that we sell to frequently comment that they prefer the AX to the 3550. For what it's worth Kevin over at Advanced Adapter (lead engineer) also says the AX edges out the 3550. The differences are very subtle and maybe no big deal. Also the shifters do come out in the same place. Either of these transmissions will be a night and day improvement over a stock three speed.

Jim

RADO

Loc.
Phoenix
Both transmissions feel very similar. I've driven both and currently have the AX15 in the Bronco with a B&M short shifter. Neither the AX15 or NV3550 are HD truck transmissions, which makes them feel a bit "sportier" I suppose. The AX15 is a bit more common and easier to find nowadays. I made a call and found a fresh rebuilt AX15 locally for $700.

I don't think you can go wrong with either choice and I've been really happy with the AX15 so far.

Nothing Special

I have an NV3550 and would not call it "sporty." I suppose it is compared to a T-18 or NP435, or possibly compared to a NV4500 or ZF5 (neither of which I've driven so I'm only speculating). But it doesn't shift as fast or as smooth as the floor-shifted RAT three speed that my Bronco had when I bought it. It's not bad, and has a nice, light feel. But it will grind if you try to hurry it.

Mine supposedly has 80K miles on it. Maybe a freshly rebuilt one would be better. But that's my experience (I've never driven an AX15 to compare it.)

Bako Bronco

Loc.
Bakersfield
I am currently in the same situation. Converting mine from an automatic to a manual. I have found a used (non rebuilt) NV3550 for $500 locally. It'll sit behind the 351W i have in my bronco. still trying to determine which tranny to go with. I see WH has a deal on their complete AX15 setup right now...hmm..

Godwick

Loc.
Santa Barbara, CA
I made the switch to NV3550 about a year ago. If I could do it over again, I would have gone AX15. From the research that I've done and considering that this is a mostly street-driven bronco, the AX15 is less noisy (the nv3550 will grumble when cold) and is still being made by Aisin and parts will be plentiful. The new Ax's are also more robust than their previous iterations. So you have less noise and an abundance of parts for the future.
However, I think you'll be pleased with either. Do NOT buy used - I got burned buying used and went through the expense of pulling it all over again and buying remanufactured anyway.
Lastly, regarding the "sportiness" of the tranny - if you're only used to car trannys it will disappoint you. Sure it is quicker than most truck transmissions, but you won't be banging through the gears. I went with a core-shifters/Hurst setup in mine. I love it, but still - a car tranny it is not.
HTH

Crush

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Greenbottom, WV
dont sell the M5OD short either. I went with that and am very happy. I also went with the core shifter but with a modified duff lever and wood knob to match my twin sticks. It has benefits over the AX and 3550 tranes. One piece bell housing and trans/hydro clutch and not really any harder to install than the others. biggest benefit is its a factory ford part and pieces so if I break down anywhere chances are the local parts house will have something to repair it with

jmangi62

Bronco Guru
I'm gonna throw in a vote for the 3550. I have one and I love it. I haven't driven it too much tho cuz I'm still building the rig, but what little I have driven it I love the way it shifts. Mine is also brand new not rebuilt, but the parts should still be plentiful. The NV3550 was in Liberty's, wranglers and some trucks. It was a huge improvement over the 3 on the tree lol. Good Luck. ;)

Attachments

• IMG_0480.jpg
    IMG_0480.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 71

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
Tiko433,
One thing I've found is that on these forums, some owners would rather rationalize their mistakes than admit their boo-boos. ?:?
Some things you'll have to decide by yourself. ;)

Actually, they're both good trannys but have slightly different gearing.

AX-15
3.83/2.33/1.44/1.00/0.79 with 4.22 reverse

NV3550
4.04/2.33/1.38/1.00/0.78 with 3.75 reverse

I have the NV3550 because that's what was available in the kit. It works great, and fun to drive. I did replace the shifter with a shorter throw though.

But I really can't give a full testimonial yet because I've only put about 5000 miles on it.
Longevity is the real test of any product.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
Tiko433

Tiko433

Contributor
I know just enough to be dangerous
Loc.
South West Florida
Tiko433,
One thing I've found is that on these forums, owners will support their investment even though it's inferior.
Owners would really rather give bad advice than admit their boo-boos. ?:?
Some things you'll have to decide by yourself. ;)

Actually, they're both good trannys but have slightly different gearing.

Very fair statement.... I'm getting that they both seem to be close to each other . There is some good information here.