• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

1969 4BD1T Diesel & NV4500 conversion on 33's

big a

Loc.
Fort Worth
Yeah never would of guessed in the beginning that it would of been this bad. I would of found a better Bronco if I had known. I should of called this thread the "2016 Bronco"

Oh man, I understand that!!! Same here! But, on a positive note, I've learned a ton in the process of replacing sheetmetal.

-Andy

OP
OP
BradtheWelder

BradtheWelder

Loc.
Moline IL
Been neglecting the Bronco a little. Work has me working night shift. 930-6am. Been really hard getting used to.

Today I worked on getting the wheel well moved and turned out good. Took 2 try's which was really annoying. I was using plumb bob and I didn't have the vehicle level so it was off more than an inch the first time. I don't know what I was thinking.

Attachments

• 267.JPG
    267.JPG
    91.8 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
OP
OP
BradtheWelder

BradtheWelder

Loc.
Moline IL
I started cutting up the other front fender. Should be able to get it on tomorrow hopefully.

Attachments

• 268.JPG
    268.JPG
    104.9 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
OP
OP
BradtheWelder

BradtheWelder

Loc.
Moline IL
Getting some work done today. Cut and crimped the lower quarter and tacked on. Very pleased with how it came out.

Attachments

• 270.JPG
    270.JPG
    138 KB · Views: 7
  • 269.JPG
    269.JPG
    78 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:

fatboy

Contributor
Glad to be here.
Loc.
New Hampshire
Been neglecting the Bronco a little. Work has me working night shift. 930-6am. Been really hard getting used to.

Today I worked on getting the wheel well moved and turned out good. Took 2 try's which was really annoying. I was using plumb bob and I didn't have the vehicle level so it was off more than an inch the first time. I don't know what I was thinking.

Probably a lack of sleep! Looks great. Love the quarter work.

OP
OP
BradtheWelder

BradtheWelder

Loc.
Moline IL
Today I finished the quarter panel on the passenger side. It's all welded solid and ground down.

Attachments

• 271.JPG
    271.JPG
    139.1 KB · Views: 7
  • 273.JPG
    273.JPG
    137 KB · Views: 7
  • 272.JPG
    272.JPG
    79.4 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
OP
OP
BradtheWelder

BradtheWelder

Loc.
Moline IL
Well I'm getting back on the horse again, pun intended. I worked on the passenger side floor support and remade my inner rocker panel. My other inner rocker before this one was fine except when I went to put on inside support for the floor it interfered with one of the body mounts so it wouldn't work. When I remade the inner rocker I beefed it up to 1/8" thick steel because that's where thes bodies fold.

Attachments

• 276.JPG
    276.JPG
    95.1 KB · Views: 14
  • 275.JPG
    275.JPG
    90.8 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
OP
OP
BradtheWelder

BradtheWelder

Loc.
Moline IL
Last night I decided to start on the firewall. First I needed to remove the front clip then I made the top piece by cutting some 14 gauge. I used my method of cutting 1/2" way through the metal to make a bend. I didn't have the cojones to weld it in yet. The middle of this new panel will be clearanced later when I get more things in the engine bay in place.

I have talked about making a exhaust manifold so I can position the turbo lower for hood clearance out of stainless. I think the last pic will basically give you the idea of what I'm thinking. In another thread a couple of guys think that it should be thicker than 1/8" thick. Let me know what you think.

Attachments

• 277.JPG
    277.JPG
    68.9 KB · Views: 14
  • 280.JPG
    280.JPG
    107.7 KB · Views: 15
  • 279.JPG
    279.JPG
    114.8 KB · Views: 13
  • 278.JPG
    278.JPG
    116.4 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
OP
OP
BradtheWelder

BradtheWelder

Loc.
Moline IL
Got all of my exhaust parts last week. Started working of the flanges for the new manifold I'm building. They're made from 304 1/2" stainless. Transfer punches make finding the hole pattern so simple to copy. I can't stress enough if you need make parts bolt together and have an existing part to go off of, transfer punches are the best. The first piece when trying to cut the port holes out I tried to connect the 4 corner holes with my plasma cutter. IT DIDN'T WORK. The cuts didn't go straight down so it left almost no material at the edges. The other 3 I drilled the 4 corner holes and my machinist friend connected then with an end mill.

After that I mocked up where I want the exhaust to go. Hehehe

In the past I have always used the exhaust clamps that are basically U bolts and they deform the exhaust tubing causing the exhaust from ever coming apart. This time I am using a band style clamp. I'm pretty pleased with the fit up with these clamps and they use some 7/16" bolts. Ultra beefy so they hopefully don't break when I need to take them off later after they have been through a few hot and cold cycles.

Attachments

• 287.JPG
    287.JPG
    70.9 KB · Views: 10
  • 283.JPG
    283.JPG
    71.2 KB · Views: 9
  • 286.JPG
    286.JPG
    86.6 KB · Views: 9
  • 281.JPG
    281.JPG
    63.5 KB · Views: 9
  • 282.JPG
    282.JPG
    64.1 KB · Views: 9
  • 284.JPG
    284.JPG
    112.3 KB · Views: 10
  • 285.JPG
    285.JPG
    121 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
OP
OP
BradtheWelder

BradtheWelder

Loc.
Moline IL
I got 3 of the 4 flanges done. Turned out pretty nice. The other piece comes Wednesday so hopefully by this weekend I'll be ready to start making the runners.

Attachments

• 290.JPG
    290.JPG
    114.7 KB · Views: 5
  • 289.JPG
    289.JPG
    105.3 KB · Views: 4
  • 288.JPG
    288.JPG
    107.1 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:

BluebroncoNC

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Asheville, NC
Fascinating, thanks for posting. Actually looking at shoe horning this same engine in my FJ 40 project! I already have the engine. Can't wait to see how this turns out.

OP
OP
BradtheWelder

BradtheWelder

Loc.
Moline IL
I was able to layout and get my first piece cut for the runners on the manifold last night. I used dykem at first and realized that it was kinda of silly becuse its not like the tolarences are going to be that tight for the plasma cutter. %)

I think it came out nice, now I got to make another one for the top side.

4slqHAj.jpg

f9JLOWG.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
BradtheWelder

BradtheWelder

Loc.
Moline IL
My buddy got the other flange to me this weekend. Then I got the other main piece done. Started working on boxing in the runners. I've decided to tack all the pieces on one plate then sandwiching them in. Turning out pretty good I say.

Attachments

• 292.JPG
    292.JPG
    116 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
OP
OP
BradtheWelder

BradtheWelder

Loc.
Moline IL
Starting to come together now. I tacked it to while on the engine so I know it's close to flat. Now I need make an up swoop where the manifold joins with the turbo and add a thermocouple port in the bottom.

Attachments

• 294.JPG
    294.JPG
    113.8 KB · Views: 15
  • 293.JPG
    293.JPG
    100.4 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
OP
OP
BradtheWelder

BradtheWelder

Loc.
Moline IL
Getting close now. The turbo flange is not welded on yet. I wanted to make sure the steering shaft is going to clear which I'm pretty sure it will.

Attachments

• 295.JPG
    295.JPG
    108.9 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
OP
OP
BradtheWelder

BradtheWelder

Loc.
Moline IL
Well I officially started working on the Bronco again. I pretty mad about the older pics in previous post being ruined but I can probably go back and fix it later so anybody who wants to catch up can do so. I will be uploading straight to the site from now on.

I no joke laid under the Bronco for 2 hours trying to decide where I should route the exhaust. I almost went with outside the frame rail on the driver side. I may add rock sliders later though so that wouldn't really be as tucked up under the truck like I would like. There is no room with front driveshaft to go inside the frame rails on the drivers side. So that basically only left the passenger side with crossover pipe going over the bellhousing. I have enough of the exhaust done now to start working on the firewall tomorrow.

Attachments

• IMG_0237.jpg
    IMG_0237.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_0236.jpg
    IMG_0236.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_0235.jpg
    IMG_0235.jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 86