• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Weight difference steel vs glass

1owner66

Loc.
Georgetown Texas
Anyone have a good idea what the weight difference is between all steel tub, fenders, grilll, hood, roof, tailgate, and doors vs fiberglass as much as possible and steel?

I was looking for weights on some vendors sites and all I see is truck shipment and crating fees unless I missed it.

71Broncitis

Over all, I don't think there is a significant weight difference between fiberglass and steel bodies.

Call Corey at Bronco Design, I'm sure he can tell you how much their body weighs.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I remember decades ago one of the old school glass body companies offered the same body in standard and lightweight "competition" versions.

BroncoDesignTN

Sponsor/Vendor
There is not much of a difference weight wise between our tubs and a steel one. Our tub weighs roughly 450 pounds. The inner steel framework weighs 120 pounds alone. The competitions tub would probably weigh 100 pounds or more less than ours as they do not have the inner steel structure. They only have steel backing plates.

If you went completely glass you may save 100-200 pounds (rough guess) with our complete body vs steel.

When we truck ship our tubs with the crate and all it'll weigh 900-1000 pounds depending on what other body parts are in the crate as well.

OP
OP
1owner66

1owner66

Loc.
Georgetown Texas
Thanks for the info, Corey.

I was wondering this because I have the 6 cyl and thought weight savings would help with the low horsepower.

How hard is it to fix a fiberglass tub in case of accident or rock crawling damage? I know rock crawling with a 6 cyl manual transmission isn't gonna be severe but I'm mainly concerned I guess with tire stuffing on a luber.

BroncoDesignTN

Sponsor/Vendor
You're welcome!

Fixing fiberglass is relatively easy. Especially if you have messed with it before. For us it is easier than replacing sheet metal panels on a damaged steel tub. For someone who is a metal fabricator it is probably harder. It all depends on your experience and comfort level.

As far as fixing a crack in the quarter panel or front fender you would add more fiberglass to the back side, for reinforcement, and then fill the crack, from the outside, paint and be good to roll again.

Any good body shop (that will work with fiberglass) or boat repair shop could make the repairs for you, as well. We can make replacement panels for almost any part of the tub you would need.