• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Homework for Ford

Jakedog

I've been watching a lot of offroad videos lately. Mainly checking out the trails around Ca. The new 4 door jeeps have sort of grown on me. When they first came out I didn't pay much attention.
I won't ever give up my 69 bronco for one, but if Ford fails us with the new bronco, I just might get a 4 door jeep. The bronco will be for cruising and fishing, the jeep for taking the family camping.
The jeep is going to be a tough one to beat. If ford goes with ifs on the new Bronco it's going to miss the mark big time.
I know ifs can be set up to be fairly strong, but I think the lack of a solid axle will keep the bronco from becoming a true competitor for jeep.

Jeep has a strong following because of it's off the shelf set up. I hope ford has really been doing it's homework on this.

56f100bbw

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tucson / lakeside AZ
A friend of mine works for the border patrol for 30 years and they tortured vehicles worked out of Yuma branch and the worst of the worst was the jeep I don’t think they use them anymore

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
Ford already said their not going to compete with jeep on hard offroad trails. Stay on the dirt roads.

OP
OP
J

Jakedog

Ford already said their not going to compete with jeep on hard offroad trails. Stay on the dirt roads.

I didn't realize they had said that. My hopes were for a true off road capable vehicle. That just sucks ass!!

charlie6976

Loc.
Grand Coulee WA

Along this line of Ford's 'thinking', the 2016 Ford Edge owners manual indicates a towing capacity but don't put the rear wheels in the water. One oops by a jet skier (not me) could ruin something. Sad.:-[

Boss Hugg

Contributor
Bronco Guru

Because what percent of the US population really and truly does offroading? I was playing around with Ford's build and price tool yesterday. The FX4 package is a joke to me for probably 85% of people that get it. They'll never need skidplates nor the "offroad tuned suspension."

This is why I don't think the new Bronco will compete with the jeep. It's gonna be another mall crawler. People will mount the lights and run as big a tire as they can, but it won't get lockers.

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru

I didn't realize they had said that. My hopes were for a true off road capable vehicle. That just sucks ass!!

Because what percent of the US population really and truly does offroading? I was playing around with Ford's build and price tool yesterday. The FX4 package is a joke to me for probably 85% of people that get it. They'll never need skidplates nor the "offroad tuned suspension."

This is why I don't think the new Bronco will compete with the jeep. It's gonna be another mall crawler. People will mount the lights and run as big a tire as they can, but it won't get lockers.

For most buyers a Focus with a rugged looking SUV body on it is going to do everything they will ever want or need.
Since 2011 the Explorer has been an SUV body on a Taurus and they keep on selling.

ep67bro

Contributor
Bronco Junky
Loc.
Easton, MD
All the above is true......but don't forget the Raptor. Ford can and will build a truck/car for the few when it wants to. The Raptor is an off the shelf off road machine and look at the Ford GT.. it is a super car!
All indications are it will be IFS and a 4 door. Remember it is being built on the same line as the new Ranger so it will share a lot with it. But my guess is they will offer an offroad package. Like the FX4 on the pickups with skid plates, rear locker, better shocks and bigger tires. Maybe they will eventually offer a Raptor version of it. But the truth is we don't know what it will be, Ford has been more tight lipped about the bronco than any other car I can remember is recent history. We will find out once they release it. Fingers crossed!!

Last edited:

BRONCOchild

Bronco Guru
There's just more "soccer moms" and "weekend warriors" than there are true-offroaders. And, I include myself on the first list.

Just look at the SUV market and the people that are driving them. Heck, even look at some of the Jeep owners. I see plenty lifted and accessorized Jeeps on the road, but you know they've never seen any real 4-wheelin'. It's all about carrying a certain look, as you drive to your "9 to 5" and your SUV is the only cool looking rig in the parking lot.

If I buy a new Ranger and new Bronco, it won't be for offroading. I got my '73 and future, older rigs to do that with.

74BroncoCO

Bronco Guru
It's always fun to see what they will actually release for the new vehicles and it seems there is more buzz for the bronco, but I have to agree with the others that it will not likely be anything that can conquer more than a dirt road. And even if they Raptor-ize it, my guess is it will still have IFS. Sure, the Raptor is IFS too, but it's meant to go fast. It's not really meant to crawl over large boulders.

I'd consider a new Bronco someday if they put the new 3.0l Powerstoke in it??

hyghlndr

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Hockessin, Delaware
I doubt it will be a serious off-road capable vehicle in stock form. I care more about the looks and street handling, where most of us will actually use them.

If it is a complete miss, we have already agreed to buy a new Jeep....

OP
OP
J

Jakedog

There is still some hope that the new bronco will be more capable than I imagine. I've been hoping for a jeep competitor. It would be nice to have a new bronco that captures the cool factor like the classic has.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL

Prices are way up there these days.. Cost an arm and a dam leg

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
Ford just needs to bring in the Troller and put the turbo 4 in it. The problem with that is they couldn't sell it for 50 grand so they wont do it. They will make a new explorer/ranger with a bitty motor and sell it for 50 grand and then add an upgrade 4x4 package to call it a Bronco and sell it for just under 60 grand.

Take the 4 door jeep and list all the things you like about it. like lift off doors, removable top, roll bar, large tire, 3 speed transfer case ETC and then compare it to the new Bronco and see what you get.

You will get none of it. Just a pretty SUV with a big price tag and a legendary name. No one is going to race it down Baja, cross the Rubicon, run the Dunes at Glamis, Climb the hill at Gravelrama, race up Pikes Peak or run the mint 400. It will be able to take up the handicapped spaces at the mall though. Should come with built in blue plates. Everyone thought the Bronco 2 didn't deserve the name, wait till you see what you get with Bronco 5. You wont even get a 5.0

OP
OP
J

Jakedog

I watched some videos on the Troller last night. I didn't realize it has solid axles. Too bad we can't buy it in the USA.

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
Ford just needs to bring in the Troller and put the turbo 4 in it. The problem with that is they couldn't sell it for 50 grand so they wont do it. They will make a new explorer/ranger with a bitty motor and sell it for 50 grand and then add an upgrade 4x4 package to call it a Bronco and sell it for just under 60 grand.

Take the 4 door jeep and list all the things you like about it. like lift off doors, removable top, roll bar, large tire, 3 speed transfer case ETC and then compare it to the new Bronco and see what you get.

You will get none of it. Just a pretty SUV with a big price tag and a legendary name. No one is going to race it down Baja, cross the Rubicon, run the Dunes at Glamis, Climb the hill at Gravelrama, race up Pikes Peak or run the mint 400. It will be able to take up the handicapped spaces at the mall though. Should come with built in blue plates. Everyone thought the Bronco 2 didn't deserve the name, wait till you see what you get with Bronco 5. You wont even get a 5.0

Lift off roof panels and doors have been mentioned recently.
The 5.0 was "never" on the table for the new Bronco.

While I don't believe it will be the rock crawler that a Jeep is, the Jeep can't follow a Raptor through Baja....i still have some hope.

elan

Loc.
s
Don't hold you breath. Ford has gone sideways in so many directions I don't think they know which way they are headed.
Ford management was mad at the tariffs imposed by the President on furrin' made Fords coming to America. A Ford made in China???? O' ya', that's what I'd want.
Dimwits.

Someone on this conversation mentioned a 4Runner. Yep. Well I didn't buy a 4Runner but a Tundra 4x4. That was after a year of interviewing owners of Toyotas.
I've have it with Ford..... after forty years. Made in China.........humf.

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
The C-Max is made in China for predominately Chinese consumption.
They are also sold here.
But not for long since Ford is killing their US car production other than the Mustang.