• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

1966 EB OK to pull T-case if stuck in 4H?

Tonyduc

Hi

I am planning on doing an engine rebuild on my 170 inline 6 during the winter. Want to remove the T case and tranny before pulling the engine. The shop manual says to put the tranny in 1st (holding it in with that special fabbed tool) and the transfer case in neutral . However, my transfer case is stuck in drive (4H), anyone know if this will complicate the removal of the t-case? I tried some suggested tricks like rocking the truck and trying to shift, but no luck, and tried many times while it was running. Unfortunately it looks like I'll have to see what the problem is after I pull it.

Tony

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I'm pretty sure those directions want you to do that to ease installation. It does not matter which position the shifters are in when you pull it, other than ease of rotating shafts...

66 1/2 cab

Hi i have the same problem get sloppy then i can find the 2h then drive . I was suggested that the bushings where shorty and that you need to make longer ones

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
As much as I do read instructions, I don't think I've ever bothered to put the t-case in neutral to remove it. Or to install it either for that matter!

Keeping the stock manual trans locked in first can be critical, but thinking that not so much for the transfer case position.
Some people even get lucky (and careful) when separating the trans and transfer case and do not pull the output shaft too far out when pulling the boxes apart. But way more end up with all the roller bearings falling to the bottom of the transmission.
So it's still a good idea to keep the trans locked in first. Just don't think it matters much about the transfer case.

And besides, it sounds like your decision has been made for you already by the equipment! Not that you could not fight it into neutral if you had to, but it's probably not necessary.

Now maybe one of the t-case gurus will check in and correct me if I'm wrong. Hopefully before you attempt it!

Good luck. Let us know how it goes either way.

Paul

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
I'm pretty sure those directions want you to do that to ease installation. It does not matter which position the shifters are in when you pull it, other than ease of rotating shafts...

Agreed with the others...