• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

4.6, t18, d20

fatboy

Contributor
Glad to be here.
Loc.
New Hampshire
First off, Welcome to the site, you will get your answers here. Second, a suggestion; you should edit your first post a bit, one word really as this is a family site. You need to head over to off topic to use that language and still you don't see that word very often.

Now on to your dilemma, I have seen at least one other truck in person running a 4.6 and he was happy with it and a fabricator by trade. Adaptors will be necessary regardless of what you run if they are not stock. Even stock had some different transmission to transfer case parts depending on what transmission you were running and the year.

Wasn't there a 9" under it already or was it sitting in the woods with no axles under it?

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
And don't expect big mileage gains with the 4.6 and a T18 for all your work I would not think.
I could be way off with that, but I do believe that no matter that it's a modern EFI engine (you going to run the full modern setup? Or a variation?) or not, most are not seeing huge gains.
That said, I bet an Explorer 5.0 could get over 20 on the highway with the right gearing and not too big a tire. I get almost 20 with mine. But it's back down to 11 or so in the city.

Are you planning lift and big tires as well?

Paul

OP
OP
C

CoMoFo

Loc.
Nashville
I have a full size 9" from a 74 f100. But I honestly don't want to pay to have it done by a fab shop. And too afraid I'd do a hachet job. But yeah it no rear end under it. Figured my uncle put it under his 72. But I'm hoping the axles i found under the gjc will work. I know I'm gonna have to do some fab work myself. I don't undertake anything i know that I can't do correct. But at this point I'm just needing the adapter for the bell housing to fit with the 4.6. Then the t18 adapter to the d20. Both the adapters are gonna run me me500-700. Is there a tcas e that mates directly with the t18? And I really appreciate all of your responses. I can certainly tell this is an amazing bronco community. When I'm finished with my EB hope to meet everyone at the roundups. But any and all.advice, opinions, and insight are wanted. And considered. I know all of you have as many years experience than I've been on this earth.

BroncoDesignTN

Sponsor/Vendor
Check with Van @ Tumblin Automotive in SC. He I know he has designed a few custom adapters. I'm not sure if he has done the T18 to D20 though. He was one of the first to put a 4.6 in a Bronco for the guys at Bronco Driver Magazine. Their Screamin Demon Bronco is the build I am referring to.

OP
OP
C

CoMoFo

Loc.
Nashville
I'm waiting and watching for someone to put in the new 3.8 eco boost with over 400go and tq. Ridiculous.