• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Got offered 25k for my EB

Readhead

I got harassed at a gas station the guy would not back off kept telling him it’s not for sale finally had to get rude and asked him if he was stupid and did not understand English

Bronco Maniac

I sold one about five years ago. It was a 74 that I bought for 7500 and put about 7000 into it after I rubbed on it for a year. Guy saw it, "slammed on brakes and turned around", his words. He asked if it was for sale. I told him it was not for sale, but it could be bought. He did not really look it over at all. It was a good looking rig though. He kept asking what I would take and I would tell him to make an offer. He said they go for about 17-25 on the internet. I said yep. He again asked what I would take for it and I told him to make an offer. He said 25 and I said OK. Guy had more money than he knew what to do with it. I do not plan to sell another.

BroncoChicken

Mine is not that nice by any stretch. But it was my granddad’s and it would take far more than it’s worth for me to even consider selling it. I was having this discussion with someone last week and he asked what number would I start to consider it. I told him $75k. He looked at me like I was crazy, so I clarified that I know it isn’t worth anything close to that, but that’s what it would take to pry it away from me.

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
... MAN I WISH SOMEONE WOULD OFFER ME 20k for my Diesel Bronco.
No i'M LIKE MOST OF YOU I don't want to sell it But I think I could replace mine for 20 & Have a better one than I have now.
.... Last time I price mine was about 6 years ago at 13K.. THE GUY WALKED AROUND IT LIKE HE WAS ABOUT TO BUY IT. I Was saying don't you dare buy my Diesel.
...... HE FINALLY SAID. I don't think it's worth that.. I laughed & said . Not really But remember I don't want to get shed of it. & You Build one & find all this stuff & Call me & tell me what you have in yours.
Game Over.

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
I have what I think is a really nice 68 almost rust free body setting in my shop. ..It's been setting for about 5 years while I gather up parts.
.. Yes It needs everything ... But I've got lots of stuff.
... I've priced it 3 times lately for 5K. & REALLY A LITTLE Surprised no one has bought it. But I've price it to working men. Not Town Cowboys.

pipeline010

I've learned a few things regarding the slick willies here in NJ.

First of all around here this truck is damn rare. Peoples eyes pop out every single time I drive by. I know we've got members/owners in my area, even randomly passed one of you last summer (and we both stopped, ignoring cars behind us in both directions to chat), but everyone wants to talk about buying.

Second, it's easier to toss a number than to say not for sale. Scurries them away faster.

Third, about 50% of the time when you toss a number you get the guy that wants to continue playing that he's Scrooge McDuck and money means nothing to him. This guy will stroll around the truck and start pointing out flaws. "Look. you've got some rot right there!" ... it's a 3 inch spot on a tailhousing dude....this truck is older than pop rocks.

Finally, my throw out number has begun jumping. I really don't want to sell, but I have a couple known heavy hitters in town (my town is full of obscene wealth) that didn't flinch at my 25k.

I'm now throwing 35k and trying to remember that when the truck has me completely pissed off cause I just CANT FIND THAT DAMN VACUUM LEAK AND CANT TAKE IT ANYMORE!! ....somebody give me 15k and get me out of this!!!.....

Then I swap a hose and it's all kosher again and I'm happily cruising down the street thinking it would take 100k to get me out of this truck.

WheelHorse

Bronco Guru
Hassle has prevented me from selling when I had an offer.

Here was the kicker for me, having to claim the money as income.

Anything over 14999 and unless you have an extensive receipt list, not including your own free labor, you have to claim the overage as income.

Cash is too easily mimicked nowadays and even the markers can't detect a washed bill, because it's the same paper.

I've yet to have anyone in person say, hey come with me to the bank and I'll withdraw the funds in front of you and hand you the stack.

BrettKoenecke

I don't throw out a number, I assume most are kidding to start at least. If they get more aggressive I usually say, "Go find your own f@#$(&* Bronco like I did." I appreciate this thread though, I might use some of this material.

thesnake

Bronco Guru
While I've been dealing with heart problems I've not been active with any of the herd. I've had rubberneckers drive by and practically want me to give them away.

They seem to like my 66 half cab and 72 Empi GT (empi kit pieces are still in the EMPI boxes) the best. I sold my first 66 half cab and always regretted it. I never thought I'd have another and was lucky to get one. It may be a rusted out bomber, but there is no price I'd sell it for.

Now if only the health issues would cut me a break lol!!!

JD

1strodeo

Squirrel Watcher
Loc.
Wisconsin
very good read, post a pic of yours if you can...by the way your 66 'rusted out bomber' is one of the coolest I've ever seen! ;)

migs

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Cool article, I wish I hadn't sold my Beetle, I put a lot into it including a set of reproduction BRM wheels.
I haven't been approached yet by anyone regarding my Bronco....I'm still waiting for the right offer to come along:p

Attachments

• bug.jpg
    bug.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 58

Rob1962

Bronco Guru
A few years back I listed mine for sale, and eventually got an offer I thought I couldn't refuse. Of course, that was right before the EB world went crazy. I got a good price for mine, and I made the poor guy wait about 3 months before I'd finally say yes. Now I wish I'd never sold it. Hope he's still enjoying it and hasn't wrecked it or anything.

The prices today, in my opinion, are just plain stupid. I'm a picky/particular buyer, and there's a few I've seen that I've had real interest in. But I'm not going to pay $40k for a rig that's never been updated or restored that might be worth $20-25k max. I don't blame folks for taking that kind of money if they can get it, as they say... "there's one born every second."

I miss my EB, but I'm not that desperate.

Bronco Maniac

Cash is too easily mimicked nowadays and even the markers can't detect a washed bill, because it's the same paper.

I've yet to have anyone in person say, hey come with me to the bank and I'll withdraw the funds in front of you and hand you the stack.

When I sold mine, I told the dude cash. He said what about a cashiers check. I said I would take a CC if the bank handed the check to me. They did and then they cashed it. Walked out with 25k in my pocket.

Wolverine

When I get asked "how much would you take?" My answer is "it is insured for $40K, what are you offering?" (due to low cost to insure an 'antique' truck in Texas, I insured for $40K in case something 'bad' happens). That ends the conversation without the "are you crazy" comments/arguments. Is my bronco worth $40K? most would argue no way, but also like most have stated, try to build a 'nice' one today (money + time). Also, I made the mistake of selling my 1st EB in 1984, I don't plan on making the same mistake. But if someone calls my bluff and shows up with $40K, I'll consider :)