• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Not at the mall, I'd guess.....

Tiko433

Contributor
I know just enough to be dangerous
Loc.
South West Florida
Dam. Not for me , that water is moving really fast It would not take much to send you down stream.

McLeod

They actually allow you to drive through a creek or other water in CA?:eek:

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Whatever the size of said balls, they are much smaller and running away from that cold water, just saying.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Deep water crossings are generally frowned upon because of the potential that a very leaky, oily, grungy rig is going to use your future drinking water for taking a bath.
But here at the Fordyce crossings they usually let the water flow dictate the terms. Over a certain GPM flow and you are just not allowed to cross.
Of course, people still try...

Keeping track of the flow is part of the fun. Lots of rigs use that trail. Especially during event times. The water managers upstream will usually reduce the flow to something manageable when there is a known event going on.

Paul

McLeod

I would have guessed water crossings would be restricted to keep the silt from choking out all of the little fishies downstream like they do with construction sites.:eek:

It would be fun having a rig to beat on like that, but knowing myself all to well, I would eventually end up trying to make the "beater" a nice rig.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
They keep us away from any water at all costs on the Rubicon these days. Too many people in Tahoe saying they detect too many petroleum products coming out of the streams in the hills around the lake. Silt too, but I think most of what gets disturbed upstream still gets filtered out before reaching the eyes-that-notice.
The trail has been re-routed to pass farther and farther away from Buck Island Res. and I think the human waste issue was what closed Spyder Lake from camping.

You get a trail popular enough, and after beating a path to it's door the masses still have to crap. And I bet more than just a few have decided to try out their rig's water wings in the lakes every year. Or used to...
I don't know how many people actually travel just the Rubicon and Fordyce trails in one year, but I think it's the sheer numbers that put stuff like this on the radar and the push and shove starts.

You probably have as many or more people off-road in WA I would think (well, maybe not) but they're more spread out too I bet. Around here we tend to concentrate by necessity. And that's when things start to get legitimately bad.
And I don't mean bad for wheelers alone. But yes, actually bad for the fishies too.;D

But put crap in Tahoe and there are a LOT of people that sit up and take notice. Studying the clarity of the lake and finding ways of bringing it back to it's former glory is an actual career choice these days.
Keeping a lower profile in some cases can be the better part of valor.

Paul