• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

66 build rocker replacement

kholding

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Las Vegas, NV
My question is how big of a project do you want? This one looks like it could need a bit of work (but it could also be a diamond in the rough...). As most have pointed out, replacing most of the body panels is the easiest solution but that starts to add up quickly. I would agree with the 4-5k valuation. Good luck and let us know how it goes!

OP
OP
mattyq17

mattyq17

Bronco Guru
So I went and talked to him, I actually know him, he is a couple years older than me. It runs strong, brakes were okay, almost like they need to be bled again from putting on the new master cylinder. The biggest issue is rust that I see, but it is driveable the way it sits. It is currently Non-OPed, in his name and the Vin has been verified by the DMV. He has two replacement rockers, the original rims, (no hubcaps), intake, carb, it has a 66 speedo, and the mirror below. The tranny leak looks like its coming around the pan, as I couldn't find any fluid higher up so maybe its a gasket problem?? He said he would go 7K, I told him I was more in the $4500 range. He has 6 more people coming to look at it over the weekend. He said he will let me know.

Attachments

• mirror.jpg
    mirror.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 110

BriansBronco

Loc.
Clearwater
Bought mine for close to that....if it is solid and you like it for the year and style as a start don't mess around...see if 6500 would do it and be happy...you don't have to dive into the project head first, especially if it runs now...my 70 is very solid but needs work...floor pans are going in soon just like this needs...don't miss a good opportunity, these have been going up and up...doubt deals will get better as time goes....50 years old...just my thoughts.

Too bad the grill isn't original and the fenders are cut...but if you like cut fenders no problem.

BriansBronco

Loc.
Clearwater
Also, just get yourself a hammer and dolly set, got a decent one at Harbor Freight...watch some videos...I have already taken care of dents I thought I couldn't handle...watch a lot of videos first....

rjrobin2002

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Its gonna sell in Cali to one of those other guys if its runs and drives well with just a slight pan leak. Just don't kick yourself too hard.

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
Why do you think the grille isn't original?

That is bad rusty for California.

Maybe he's thinking it's supposed to have an eyebrow.

I couldn't have passed up a running first month v8 66' for $7k.

OP
OP
mattyq17

mattyq17

Bronco Guru
I couldn't have passed up a running first month v8 66' for $7k.

Okie, if I looked at the vin decoder correctly it's a March or April build correct?
That was the first month they put a 289 in them?

He came back with 6500 and it's mine.........

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
Okie, if I looked at the vin decoder correctly it's a March or April build correct?
That was the first month they put a 289 in them?

He came back with 6500 and it's mine.........

Yes March build, and first month of the 289. Well done and congrats :)

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
.. sINCE YOUR IN CALIF .. I'd think thats about the correct price. I'd think 3000 here in my area might get it.
... I kind of like someones advice to just buy new metal rather than having the old stuff fixed.
.. Body shop labor is just gotten to expensive.

Jaxgtc

Always agonozing to buy a vehicle, at $6500 or $65,000, you did well, gongratulations!

OP
OP
mattyq17

mattyq17

Bronco Guru
Does that mean you bought it?

Ya I didn't word that very well, I am going to go look at again this weekend, and most likely will be buying it. They are damn near impossible to find around here for under $20,000 and even at that price I know there are things that I want to do to them to make them more my style. So this seems like a good starting point, I can drive it and fix, make upgrades as I go. My son is 11 and this will be a fun project with him.

OP
OP
mattyq17

mattyq17

Bronco Guru
Well, I brought it home yesterday. Some will say I paid too much, others might say I got a good deal. I paid $6500. Who knows I could die tomorrow but at least I can say I had a running bronco! I am happy with my purchase and even better is that the wife is happy too! It is a drivable bronco that I can work on as I go and only have it down for a weekend or so and then be able to drive it again. I am more than happy!! I have to go back after the 4th to get the rest of the parts, he has for it. Here are some more pictures, and a question. What is the black push button in the left side of the dash? I will get a better look at it this weekend and figure out what my first purchase for it will be.

Attachments

• Speedo1.jpg
    Speedo1.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 138
  • Speedo.jpg
    Speedo.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 117
  • speaker grille.jpg
    speaker grille.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 120
  • rearviewmirror1.jpg
    rearviewmirror1.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 123
  • Rearviewmirror.jpg
    Rearviewmirror.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 127
  • Rearbumper1.jpg
    Rearbumper1.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 117
  • Rearbumper.jpg
    Rearbumper.jpg
    185.8 KB · Views: 117
  • Ontrailer.jpg
    Ontrailer.jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 137
  • Tcasepattern.jpg
    Tcasepattern.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 125

JaxLax

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Jacksonville, FL
I would happily take that for $6500 here in FL.

Looks like a great starter and running just makes it that much better!

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
I like it congrats! The black button is the passenger seat ejection button..............lol kidding. It's the washer fluid button.

jim3326

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Appleturkey
Don't let the transfer case shift pattern fool you, there is 4H between N and 4L.
Welcome to the '66 club!

66broncoCT

Contributor
Loc.
Torrington, CT
Don't let the transfer case shift pattern fool you, there is 4H between N and 4L.
Welcome to the '66 club!

Isn't it 2L in between N and 4L? I know my early 66 has a different decal that actually shows 2L and states not to drive it in the 2L position.