• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

1977 Bronco Vin Decoding Help

1getbored

I just bought a 77' EB but I am having trouble figuring out the vin number...

It was previously registered as U15GLCXXXXX on the title but when I inspected the vin plate, it looks to be either U15GL0XXXXX or U15GLOXXXXX. Every other number matches, and I know that the 6th digit signifies the build date. The Broncohio page does not give any info on whether it is a O or a 0.

I don't want to register it until I fix the mistake, any ideas?

http://www.broncohio.com/tech/ebvins.html

FRANKO289

Contributor
Bronco enthusiast
i would go with the letter "O" ... never seen one with a number after 1967

Dude seriously

Loc.
Everett
What is interesting though is that the sixth digit (first character denoting the build month) started with "A" towards the end of the 1966 year and worked through the alphabet until rolling over and restarting with the letter "A" again in 1976.

The two things I noticed are:

1. 1972 went from using the letter "N" to the letter "P" skipping right over the letter "O".
  2. If the letter "A" was re-started in 1976, it is not likely they would have reached the letter "O" only one year later.

But aside from that observation, I have no real solution to offer.

OP
OP
1getbored

1getbored

You hit it right on the head. I noticed the same thing.

What is interesting though is that the sixth digit (first character denoting the build month) started with "A" towards the end of the 1966 year and worked through the alphabet until rolling over and restarting with the letter "A" again in 1976.

The two things I noticed are:

1. 1972 went from using the letter "N" to the letter "P" skipping right over the letter "O".
  2. If the letter "A" was re-started in 1976, it is not likely they would have reached the letter "O" only one year later.

But aside from that observation, I have no real solution to offer.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
There was no "I" used in '70 either. Probably because it looked too much like a "1". I'd say they started using the "O" in '77 (and the other previously unused letters) because if they had continued using the consecutive letter after '76 you would not be able to distinguish a '77 from a '69 Bronco from the VIN. The '76 and '68 VIN's can't match because the engine character is different. After '68 the engine character changed to "G", the same as the '77 would have. No point in re-inventing the VIN in '77 because the Bronco was already slated to go away.

FRANKO289

Contributor
Bronco enthusiast
is it O / 0 / 0 / o ??

ok and what the letters for jan / feb / march .... aso for all 77 made in 77 ??

Attachments

• !Bl(ru0Q!2k~$(KGrHqYH-DIEtH(BY+hYBLbbw5iYc!~~_3.jpg
    !Bl(ru0Q!2k~$(KGrHqYH-DIEtH(BY+hYBLbbw5iYc!~~_3.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 347
  • !BpL3v8!Bmk~$(KGrHqMOKjkEu,Y6OlrWBLqS2QU77w~~_3.jpg
    !BpL3v8!Bmk~$(KGrHqMOKjkEu,Y6OlrWBLqS2QU77w~~_3.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 332

d.c.parris

Loc.
cumming ga.
check the build date 8 76 =006097th bronco built for 77 model year the letters are jan X feb thru june Y july & aug Z

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
is it O / 0 / 0 / o ??

ok and what the letters for jan / feb / march .... aso for all 77 made in 77 ??

The first decal doesn't look original and the VIN doesn't fall in line with the date. You can see that the O is bigger than the 0 in both however.

evil69

fawkin classy
Loc.
Athens, GA
I just went through the headache of having the letter O in my 77's VIN. Yes by god is a freakin O.

FRANKO289

Contributor
Bronco enthusiast
so we are clear on that .....
the 6th digit is the letter O and not the number 0 in all 77 built in 76 !!!

Jan 77 is X 8xxxxx - X 9xxxxx
Feb 77 is Y 0xxxxx - Y 1xxxxx
Mar 77 is Y 2xxxxx - Y 3xxxxx

aso ?!!??!?!

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
so we are clear on that .....
the 6th digit is the letter O and not the number 0 in all 77 built in 76 !!!

Jan 77 is X 8xxxxx - X 9xxxxx
Feb 77 is Y 0xxxxx - Y 1xxxxx
Mar 77 is Y 2xxxxx - Y 3xxxxx

aso ?!!??!?!

According to my research the above statement is correct, plus the following.

Apr 77 is Y4xxxx-Y5xxxx
May 77 is Y6xxxx-Y7xxxx
Jun 77 is Y8xxxx-Y9xxxx
Jul 77 is Z0xxxx- Z1xxxx
Aug 77 is Z2xxxx-Z9xxxx

d.c.parris

Loc.
cumming ga.
according to the ford factory shop manuals there are no letter o in the vin for 77 only zeros but what difference does it make you cant tell the o from the 0 on the vin plate anyway so if your bronco runs better with a o then use o if it runs better with a 0 use 0.
i just checked my data plate on my 77 and the letter and build date dont agree the build date is 1/77 and the vin is u152glyoxxxx which should be feb or march i think ford just did whatever came along at the time. i bought my 77 in march of 77 so who knows

Kbpony

Ok, I would like to know the build date on my '77. Vin is U15GL084xxx. If I understand the previous posts in this thread, it must have been built in '76. What month, and is it possible to know the day or at least beginning/end of the month?

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Ok, I would like to know the build date on my '77. Vin is U15GL084xxx. If I understand the previous posts in this thread, it must have been built in '76. What month, and is it possible to know the day or at least beginning/end of the month?

Looks like Dec '76. Closer to the beginning of the month. And that's an O not a 0.

Kbpony

Thanks, viperwolf. I have owned this for 15 years, how interesting to find it born same month as me?! I have emailed Ford to see if they will get me a build sheet yet. We'll see what shows up.

Crawdad

Bronco Guru
Thanks, viperwolf. I have owned this for 15 years, how interesting to find it born same month as me?! I have emailed Ford to see if they will get me a build sheet yet. We'll see what shows up.

Any luck on that build sheet? Who at Ford did you contact?