• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Front disk brake conversion question

roparsons

I’m looking to upgrade my front drums to disc brakes on a 1975 Bronco. I’m good with tools and can follow clear directions but I’m definitemy not a mechanic by trade. Does anyone have advise on the most straight forward, install ready conversion kit available? Also would a booster be valuable to look at as well?

Thank you in advance for any help or advice you can give me!!

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Your '75 would have a Dana 44 from the factory, so that opens up some options.
If you're not sure yours is still so-equipped though, it would be good to verify.

Most setups in "kit" form are going to be about the same as far as number of parts and installation time and procedures.
You can do it three basic ways:
1. The conversion that most of us vendors offer (fits both the D30 and D44 front ends) using a combination of Ford-based and GM-based parts. Vendors or junkyards.
2. The Ford-only conversion (only fits a 44). Duff or junkyards.
3. The purely aftermarket, such as the Wilwood kits shown on the following page: Wild Horses Front Disc Brake Options along with the GM/Ford hybrid kit.

I personally feel you don't "need" a power assist to make disc brakes work fantastic. But as usual, it depends on what's under your rig and what you are looking for.
I've run non-boosted disc brakes for years and love it. Don't feel the need for it at all. But I also have modest sized tires and (apparently) good pad material.
If you're running 35" tires or larger, or just like the feel of modern brakes over old, then a booster is likely in your future. But at that point took, I think it's pretty well accepted around here that spending the extra on a hydro-boost is worth the upgrade over the vacuum booster.
I have not run one myself, but it's almost universally acknowledged as the more powerful option. If not also more work to install.

If you want to stick with manual, and have 16" or larger wheels, the larger diameter rotors and larger calipers with smaller, but more pistons calipers offered by Wilwood are another option. Or even if boosted anyway, they're still an option for more powerful brakes.

That's a bit of the nutshell version. I may sell be trying to sell our kits of course, but I don't believe there is really much of a difference from a quality/installation/difficulty standpoint between the different hybrid offerings.

Paul

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
Most of the time I will choose to buy from Wild Horses, but for a disc conversion on a Dana 44 I would buy the Duff kit.
The kit from Duff uses a copy of the F150 Super Cab 4x4 steering knuckles.

Bronco Junkie

So Cal Broncos
I’m looking to upgrade my front drums to disc brakes on a 1975 Bronco. I’m good with tools and can follow clear directions but I’m definitemy not a mechanic by trade. Does anyone have advise on the most straight forward, install ready conversion kit available? Also would a booster be valuable to look at as well?

Thank you in advance for any help or advice you can give me!!

Instructions usually suck with anything and I would not count on them only.

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I am currently working on a customer's '68 EB and he purchased the WH "Sooper Deluxe" 3005 kit which includes everything and then some. He also bought the Wilwood option booster/MC assembly.

Pretty impressive kits..both. I've always bought the individual parts and used the Ford F-150 D44 outers....but as those get scarcer, can't beat an all inclusive kit like the one WH has put together.

cannunz546

Contributor
Bronco Owner and Admirer
Loc.
Northwest Suburbs, Chicago
I am the opposite of a mechanic and installed front disc brakes on my 1973 Bronco. I got them from Horsepower Sales on ebay. They are based in Wisconsin. The owner was super helpful and the kit was easy to install.

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
If you have any good junkyards around look for the knuckles out on a 78-79 bronco or f-1504x4. Grab everything from the knuckles out including the knuckles. They will bolt right on your Dana 44. The late 70s f-150 4x4 might have em a few years prior but can't remember. Someone else might know exact years. As for power brakes skip the time and $$ on the vacuum booster and go hydroboost.