• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

FOMOCO crooks

tatersalad

Bronco Guru
My last oil change at the local GMC dealer the service advisor told me on my next visit a few items will need to be serviced on my 2500 hd Duramax with around 40k on it. I questioned her about it and she backed off on half of the service as recommended and that the rest will be required by GM. lol... I told her GM doesn't own my truck and can't require me to do anything. The only item on her list that I was going to have done was the fuel filter cause it's in such an awkward spot that I would rather pay them than do it myself.. Probably going to upgrade to a better filter and location soon and that will be that.

jperry1290

My local Jimmy Vasser Toyota in Napa, Ca tried to sell me a “certified” Tundra that had been salvaged. I later bought a brand new truck after some legal threats and other issues. When the oil pan started leaking at 5k miles the service dept said they would not replace it under warranty as it was just a minor drip. One bad email survey later and the dealership was kissing my a$$ and fixed it.

flip

Loc.
Jasper, IN
I would like to add my .02. I am a Ford dealer and take great offense when other dealers pull this crapola. Ford straight up says to follow the recommended maintenance guide either in the owner's manual or on (our) FMCdealer.

This is not trivial, if the brakes are 3mm or below they should be replaced. If the rotors are undersize or would be after turning they should be replaced. If a dealer has a common practice of turning rotors undersize that is most likely a safety violation. If you as a customer want pads "slapped" we will do it with the understanding if you had a chatter before you will probably still have it. If you have rough or cracked rotors you are advised you may get a brake noise or rough brake feel.

Fluids are done by mileage intervals according to the manual with the exception of contamination. Contamination is water or some other fluid that shouldn't be in that system. Using the wrong coolant in a vehicle will cause problems, especially the diesels. This goes for the BG/Wynn's trans/power steering/brake system flush. None of these services are approved or recommended by FMC. Again, if they aren't recommending service per the owner's manual or Ford's service interval guide you probably don't need it.

Air filter is subjective, our guys check history to see when we did the last one and if it is "good enough for their personal vehicle" we blow it out. Torn seals or filters that don't fit in the box correctly are also replaced pending customer approval.

There are NO intake services, fuel system cleaning or any of that other crap unless there is a specific problem that indicates a contaminated fuel system. If an injector isn't operating correctly it is either due to a bad injector OR other fuel system problem. Example, miss fire first thing in the morning. This happened on some Taurus and F150s caused by an injector bleeding off.

I guess my point is don't condemn or label all of us as "stealer-ships". There are a bunch of crappy/shady dealers and chain shops out there and all I can do is apologize for a shitty experience. If the advisors are paid based on sales dollars, what do you think they are going to do? It is a shitty practice and does more to alienate your customer's than to build trust.

For the life of me I don't understand why service facilities don't look at the long term value of a relationship. Ford holds our feet to the fire over sales and service loyalty and survey scores. Crappy survey scores=withheld incentives so there is no benefit to the dealer to piss a customer off but they still do it for the quick dollar in front of them.

Do we screw up at times? Yup. Do we look at every situation and try to fix or learn from it? Yup.

I'm going to show my bias here by saying for the most part, it is better to have your vehicle serviced by the dealer. Check online reviews and talk to people about their service experience and relationship with their dealers. You will find two groups, people that love their dealer and tell 10 friends and people that hate their dealer and tell 100 friends.

For the record I condemn any dealer or independent that engages in this type of business. These guys know what they are doing is shady, manipulative and don't care how it hurts the rest of the industry. Customer service is not rocket science....

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
It is like the old joke: It's the 99% of them that give the rest a bad name.

Back around 1989 or 1990 a friend and I went to the local Ford dealer and asked the service department about changing the Ford 9 inch third member in his Bronco. The manager called the lead mechanic to the counter, took him aside and asked him about it. I was standing out of the way and overheard the mechanic tell the manager to say it was 5 1/2 hours book labor and would take him 1 1/2 hours.

My friend did the change in the driveway without air tools in less than an hour and a half.

pipeline010

Sounds like the quick lube dealership guys are following the lube and wash places behavior.

I live where it's cold in the winter, so I do use them (wash and oil for 40 bucks really can't be beat). But I learned something very important...I speak to one of them directly before they touch my car and say "Absolutely DO NOT touch anything other than the oil change, do you understand?"

Had my wifes car done a few years back, they stretched the radiator hose onto the manifold in order to rip the air filter out to show it to me....how they did this I still don't understand...but several miles down the road and the radiator hose melted through.

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I would like to add my .02. I am a Ford dealer and take great offense when other dealers pull this crapola. Ford straight up says to follow the recommended maintenance guide either in the owner's manual or on (our) FMCdealer.

This is not trivial, if the brakes are 3mm or below they should be replaced. If the rotors are undersize or would be after turning they should be replaced. If a dealer has a common practice of turning rotors undersize that is most likely a safety violation. If you as a customer want pads "slapped" we will do it with the understanding if you had a chatter before you will probably still have it. If you have rough or cracked rotors you are advised you may get a brake noise or rough brake feel.

Fluids are done by mileage intervals according to the manual with the exception of contamination. Contamination is water or some other fluid that shouldn't be in that system. Using the wrong coolant in a vehicle will cause problems, especially the diesels. This goes for the BG/Wynn's trans/power steering/brake system flush. None of these services are approved or recommended by FMC. Again, if they aren't recommending service per the owner's manual or Ford's service interval guide you probably don't need it.

Air filter is subjective, our guys check history to see when we did the last one and if it is "good enough for their personal vehicle" we blow it out. Torn seals or filters that don't fit in the box correctly are also replaced pending customer approval.

There are NO intake services, fuel system cleaning or any of that other crap unless there is a specific problem that indicates a contaminated fuel system. If an injector isn't operating correctly it is either due to a bad injector OR other fuel system problem. Example, miss fire first thing in the morning. This happened on some Taurus and F150s caused by an injector bleeding off.

I guess my point is don't condemn or label all of us as "stealer-ships". There are a bunch of crappy/shady dealers and chain shops out there and all I can do is apologize for a shitty experience. If the advisors are paid based on sales dollars, what do you think they are going to do? It is a shitty practice and does more to alienate your customer's than to build trust.

For the life of me I don't understand why service facilities don't look at the long term value of a relationship. Ford holds our feet to the fire over sales and service loyalty and survey scores. Crappy survey scores=withheld incentives so there is no benefit to the dealer to piss a customer off but they still do it for the quick dollar in front of them.

Do we screw up at times? Yup. Do we look at every situation and try to fix or learn from it? Yup.

I'm going to show my bias here by saying for the most part, it is better to have your vehicle serviced by the dealer. Check online reviews and talk to people about their service experience and relationship with their dealers. You will find two groups, people that love their dealer and tell 10 friends and people that hate their dealer and tell 100 friends.

For the record I condemn any dealer or independent that engages in this type of business. These guys know what they are doing is shady, manipulative and don't care how it hurts the rest of the industry. Customer service is not rocket science....

:thumbup: Fortunately, I've been treated very well by enough Ford dealers to keep me coming back to Ford.;) The one in Raleigh-Durham that took such good care care of my daughter while she was in grad school there was practically like dealing with family by the end.

Kbpony

I took the 2015 GMC 2500 company truck I drive to my local GMC dealership last Thursday morning to fix a “service trailer brake system” warning that went off sporadically with or without a trailer behind. I have known the service manager for 20+ years, and his dad owns the place. I asked for a loaner, and they gave me a 1/2 ton to drive. They called Thursday afternoon to ask if they could replace a $300 module that was problematic on them. I told them sure, I pull a trailer regularly and need brakes to work. A coup,e hours later, another call. Module installed, didn’t fix the problem. No charge for module, will keep looking. Friday noonish I get another call. Pin in the plug, fixed and ready. I pick it up, and Saturday morning, warning starts going off again. Called them this morning, bring it back when it works. Dropped it off and got a 2018 loaner with 2450 Miles on it. They still have mine, maybe tomorrow. I put close to 400 Miles on the first loaner. My bill was only $178. There is no way they can be making any profit at this point. Yes, I’ll return the loaner with a full tank. I’m a Ford guy, but I’ve been thinking about the next time I’m up for a new truck, I may just stay GMC. I’m impressed so far.

half cab

Contributor
Guru Bronco
Service managers can make or Break a Dealer for return customers.

flip

Loc.
Jasper, IN
Service managers can make or Break a Dealer for return customers.

This ^^^. And a pay plan that encourages an advisor/manager to upsell, needed or not, in order to make a paycheck. Incentives for above average customer satisfaction scores, technician efficiency or keeping expenses in check is one thing. Turning an advisor or technician into a crook to make a living is BS and only helps the higher-ups bottom line. Henry Ford said, "sell them what they need when they need it", this is not an overly complicated ideal.

tasker

Contributor
all knowing of nothing
Loc.
NH
^^^ this man speaks the truth! Been here for a long time and hopefully will be a lot longer. I have been at my Ford dealer for 30 years....3rd guy in seniority in my department! you don't have that longevity if you are not good at what you do. Sorry for the bad experience but like flip says...it doesn't cover everyone.

half cab

Contributor
Guru Bronco
This ^^^. And a pay plan that encourages an advisor/manager to upsell, needed or not, in order to make a paycheck. Incentives for above average customer satisfaction scores, technician efficiency or keeping expenses in check is one thing. Turning an advisor or technician into a crook to make a living is BS and only helps the higher-ups bottom line. Henry Ford said, "sell them what they need when they need it", this is not an overly complicated ideal.

Another thing is, Salesman on the inside making fun of people on the lot outside and the person outside close kin over hears salesmen while she's sitting in an open door office... about to sign car papers.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
^^^ this man speaks the truth! Been here for a long time and hopefully will be a lot longer. I have been at my Ford dealer for 30 years....3rd guy in seniority in my department! you don't have that longevity if you are not good at what you do. Sorry for the bad experience but like flip says...it doesn't cover everyone.

it doesn't..

You have those certain locations w/guys like randy that will treat ya right