• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

71 Cali Bronco Build

71 CA Bronco

OK, I think I figured out how to post, so am ready to start my build thread.

History, I had a 72 Bronco about 25 years ago while I was dating my wife. We both loved it and always wished we still had it. Now my kids are starting to drive, so like the knucklehead that I am I bought a 71 that was mostly complete and drivable but needs (like most) rust repair.

My son and I plan a moderate build. Mostly stock mainly because he will be driving it. It will be a frame off but most of the work will be body and paint. We do plan to clean up the mechanical and paint the frame. Pictures to come.

OP
OP
71 CA Bronco

71 CA Bronco

Motor: 302
Trans: 3 speed on tree
Dana 30 in front

In true snow ball fashion the build now consists of:

5.0/4R70W Conversion
Atlas II
Dana 44 and 9 inch
Vintage Air with raised cowl
And a bunch of other upgrades.

Last edited:
OP
OP
71 CA Bronco

71 CA Bronco

Vin

Vin#.JPG

Checked Vin on Frame. Looks like the original motor, axles and color. Everything matches.

OP
OP
71 CA Bronco

71 CA Bronco

Ter4.JPG

Not sure why the pictures are turned sideways.

This is the wholly krap what did I get myself into this time pic. ;D

suckerpunched

great project, I am working on one with my son. we are farther along, but with all the progress you made in a day, I think you will pass us by next weekend. look forward to seeing it take shape.

OP
OP
71 CA Bronco

71 CA Bronco

great project, I am working on one with my son. we are farther along, but with all the progress you made in a day, I think you will pass us by next weekend. look forward to seeing it take shape.

Well we actually started a couple of months ago and are moving slow. I found this site and have already received help (more like bailed me out) from Ben Ferrari and Bronco Paul. They encouraged me to start a build thread. It won't be as crazy as some builds but should be nice once completed.

Unfortunately, I wasn't planning a build thread earlier so didn't take as many pictures as I should have. I'll try to get current pictures tomorrow.

OP
OP
71 CA Bronco

71 CA Bronco

Did you do a build thread? It would be cool to so what you guys did.

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
Looks like you're off to a good start, fun build with your son! My 71' is a December 70' build and has dana 44. Yours is a Jan 71' build, I would have thought they would have been all 44's by then.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
That's nice Rob. Congrats on the purchase and good luck w/the build.

One step at a time :)

Mar1ne

Loc.
Sierra Foothills, CA
I fixed my "sideways picture" problem by creating a folder on the desktop and dragging them out of the Photos program and into it. No matter what rotation I tried setting them to in Photos, they would always be sideways. Assuming you're using a Mac.

OP
OP
71 CA Bronco

71 CA Bronco

More tear down pics. The PO had tried to fix the floor boards by cutting everything out even up the tunnel and just caulking and sheet metal screwing the floors in. I think this weakened the tub to the point the floor braces cracked. I was originally planning to just replace panels and go forward. Then I took the easy way out and purchased the Dynacorn complete floor assembly.

TE1.JPG

TE2.JPG

TE3.JPG

OP
OP
71 CA Bronco

71 CA Bronco

Looks like you're off to a good start, fun build with your son! My 71' is a December 70' build and has dana 44. Yours is a Jan 71' build, I would have thought they would have been all 44's by then.

Would be nice to have a Dana 44. I have to keep reminding myself this is for the kid not me. I did have an issue with the front end. It had 4.11 gears in front and 3.50s in back. Good thing I checked before using 4x4.

I came across a guy in Riverside doing crazy resto-mod. He wasn't keeping anything stock. He sold me a truck load of original bronco parts; seats, front axle, roll bar, dash, vent system, heater box, and a complete running 302. And, a bunch of other stuff I really don't need. He just wanted them out of his garage.

I now have two tops, two motors, two dana 30s,ect ,ect.... If anyone needs
parts let me know. I need some of it out of my garage as well.

OP
OP
71 CA Bronco

71 CA Bronco

I fixed my "sideways picture" problem by creating a folder on the desktop and dragging them out of the Photos program and into it. No matter what rotation I tried setting them to in Photos, they would always be sideways. Assuming you're using a Mac.

Nope not a MAC. The sideways think is going to drive me crazy.

OP
OP
71 CA Bronco

71 CA Bronco

So I swapped the axles. Not the best gear ratio. Back to stock 3.50s but will at least match and be fine for now.

IMG_0963.JPG

IMG_0964.JPG

IMG_0969.JPG