• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Got Me a New Seven-2

OP
OP
1strodeo

1strodeo

Squirrel Watcher
Loc.
Wisconsin
Thanks Tom! Thanks to you and stevew for texting pics :)

thanks Paul, so I'm guessing WH doesn't sell replacement 2A709 retainer springs?? ;D;D

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
scored some slots today! tires are rollers at best, I'm guessing they'll be going on the 72 (the wheels, not the tires :ROFLMAO: )
Yeah, with the white letters including "Radial" this makes them first gen of the BFG MT's! Probably 30 plus years old.

Nice slots!

OP
OP
1strodeo

1strodeo

Squirrel Watcher
Loc.
Wisconsin
Doing fine and dandy Ken, hope you and your family are well! I've been tinkering with an old abandoned, neglected 4Runner all winter so it will be nice to give some Bronco love again.

Thanks for the scoop, Scoop! Man you guys are so smart I would have never known that fun fact about the tires. I did notice they have a bit wider tread than my BFG's of the same size. Not sure if this is a date stamp on one of the wheels, if it is they may be from 86, which I think is around the time the last of the manufacturers stopped making them?

Does anyone know the best way to clean these, or am I overthinking it? I am just thinking some 0000 steel wool. I think the seller scuffed up the insides after I asked for pics of the stampings

slot1.jpg slot2.jpg

LUBr LuvR

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Nice score on the slots, Jeff. Classic look that never gets old.

I used a product I picked up at Walmart, think it was called Diamond Brite on an aluminum horse trailer. Consistency of milk, Lots of elbow grease, but it did a great job. Have used Mothers and Wenol as well on wheels.

Attachments

• 37343974-015E-4B19-9A74-751361956F07.png
    37343974-015E-4B19-9A74-751361956F07.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 8
  • 40E1D125-DE78-456D-8313-D8559349FA84.png
    40E1D125-DE78-456D-8313-D8559349FA84.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 7
  • B7CEE1EF-C823-4569-A8AC-0A2D1F5FDAD9.png
    B7CEE1EF-C823-4569-A8AC-0A2D1F5FDAD9.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 8
OP
OP
1strodeo

1strodeo

Squirrel Watcher
Loc.
Wisconsin
Thanks Mary, I had a feeling you might chime in...except I thought it would be 4Runner related :giggle:

I've been reading online about cleaning these old magnesium wheels and it sounds like they only stay clean for a short period, as any kind of moisture makes them change back to a dull finish? So it's best to clean them and then seal them with something. What have I gotten myself into? Maybe all the fine folks in the OTL will share some opinions on the subject...:unsure: Maybe I'll just wash them and see what happens. I certainly don't care if they're shiny or not

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
Thanks Mary, I had a feeling you might chime in...except I thought it would be 4Runner related :giggle:

I've been reading online about cleaning these old magnesium wheels and it sounds like they only stay clean for a short period, as any kind of moisture makes them change back to a dull finish? So it's best to clean them and then seal them with something. What have I gotten myself into? Maybe all the fine folks in the OTL will share some opinions on the subject...:unsure: Maybe I'll just wash them and see what happens. I certainly don't care if they're shiny or not
Are they a true magnesium wheel? They look aluminum in the pics.

OP
OP
1strodeo

1strodeo

Squirrel Watcher
Loc.
Wisconsin
Scoop I wouldn't know how to tell for sure, hopefully you are correct and they will just clean up like any other aluminum wheel

Oldtimer

Contributor
Jr. Member with Sr. moments
Loc.
Sunnyvale, CA
I clean mine with etching cleaner, usually each time I get a new set of tires.

2023-04-13_100903.jpg
Been a while, and living in California, probably can't purchase any longer.

LUBr LuvR

Contributor
Bronco Guru

Well, of course I was curious about your project, but didn’t know about diverging from the topic at hand. But it is your thread, so I’ll leave that up to you 😉 - or you can pm pics if you prefer.

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
Scoop I wouldn't know how to tell for sure, hopefully you are correct and they will just clean up like any other aluminum wheel
Easy. Just get a match and an infrared temperature sensor. If it burns a 4000 degrees F, then its magnesium. If it won't burn, it's aluminum. Caution: If you do find out they're magnesium you won't be able to put the fire out, so you'll need to sacrifice one of the wheels. (And hope nothing else catches on fire!)

LOL!

OP
OP
1strodeo

1strodeo

Squirrel Watcher
Loc.
Wisconsin
Easy. Just get a match and an infrared temperature sensor. If it burns a 4000 degrees F, then its magnesium. If it won't burn, it's aluminum. Caution: If you do find out they're magnesium you won't be able to put the fire out, so you'll need to sacrifice one of the wheels. (And hope nothing else catches on fire!)

LOL!
no need to go to all that trouble, I looked on the internet and found out from some seemingly reliable sources that all mag wheels are made of magnesium, and that's why they call 'em mags ;)

OP
OP
1strodeo

1strodeo

Squirrel Watcher
Loc.
Wisconsin
Well, of course I was curious about your project, but didn’t know about diverging from the topic at hand. But it is your thread, so I’ll leave that up to you 😉 - or you can pm pics if you prefer.
Mary like you said this is my thread and it almost sorta qualifies for a build thread, which means anything goes :)

This pic is as-purchased, and it's from a junkyard so I call it my rescue. So far just been working on getting it running, replacing most of the brake lines and pretty much the entire fuel system from firewall back, and restoring the chassis. Going to take the 31's off the 66 and use them on the 4R, since the tires are over 6 years old and have maybe 500 miles on them! I'll send ya an updated pic when I have it DRIVING ;)

Attachments

• IMG_3759.jpg
    IMG_3759.jpg
    286.5 KB · Views: 10

LUBr LuvR

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Very cool, looks to be around 1984ish? There’s several 4Runner forums that are pretty good, with some folks who know them like the gurus on here know Broncos. If you haven’t already, Yoda Jim’s in Colorado is the Bronco Graveyard of the 4Runner and pickup world. Really helpful and the few times I needed and obsolete part he was great to deal with.

Yoda Jim's
(303) 506-5119

OP
OP
1strodeo

1strodeo

Squirrel Watcher
Loc.
Wisconsin
Thanks for the lead Mary, I will definitely check them out! my biggest needs are the front fenders and rear bumper, the latter which is nearly impossible to find it seems. I did find a place called Yota Yard, also in CO, that closed its doors just a couple months ago. Sounds like it was prime real estate for coffee shops and the like :confused:

It's an 86, same front grille as 84-85, so 84ish is pretty accurate! But if you look closely you'll see the brand new at the time IFS, which replaced the solid front axle. It's a Sep 85 build so among the first IFS off the line. It will stay at or near stock height as I've read that putting any kind of lift on IFS can cause issues