• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

wangotango 74 eb build pics

Bukin 67

Bronco Abuser
Wow that was a lot to read Mark! Glad you got it sorted out. Efiguy is building a good rep on here. Wango Tango is looking awesome. Hope to be wheeling with you soon.

Monster Mike

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
thanks for giving us more brain damage Mark ;D

Looking great! awesome as usual :cool:

ZOSO

EFIguy/Garry is an awesome guy. It's great having him local. He'll get you sorted out and that thing will run like it should.

Amazing build!!!!

EFI Guy

Sponsor/Vendor
TheEFIguy@gmail
Loc.
BFE
I'm finally getting Wango Tango to make some power--- gees. Here's an update nine months later after a miserable start with the truck that could of been called and did the roadblock special!:-[ I'm posting this for mainly a anxiety release and entertainment as looking back it's a wonder i'm not totally brain dead from all of the chaos;D I'm calling this EFI 101---DOH!

Yah I'm a rookie and made a choice in the day approximately 6 years ago to build a bronco and have it fuel injected. I had some input but it was very intimidating due to my computer skills. So I took it upon myself to listen to people who had the same thing going on and seemed to know what they were talking about. Well that was a big mistake, what I ended up with was a self learning system from Mass Flo efi, now Pro-M racing.What was I thinking, listening to the same caliber as myself? By the way there is no issue or problem with those guys!

The engine build was of sorts undecided, my motor guy had it all figured out but I kept throwing a wrench in his spokes about more and bigger, consequently I had to follow up with the efi program which resulted in numerous upgrades to the efi system which meant getting the mass air meter and injectors upgraded, meaning calibration for the meter and bigger injectors. I just listened to massflo and we did the upgrade multiple times. The only cost factor was for shipping by the way. When the motor was finally being put together with all of the changes I had no idea where the whole program was at with the efi! With years gone by the motor got to a point of being more than what was the last representation to massflo, consequently the dilemma was, is it going to run.

When we went to dyno the motor my expectations weren't that big of a deal with the efi deal, as I only knew carburetors worked, but the efi thing was a different deal. When on the dyno the results were devastating the motor wouldn't run (I mean it wouldn't make full power) and I knew it was from the efi, luckily we didn't smoke anything. Once the motor was in the truck I continued with the build to finally get the thing drivable. I wasn't disappointed but I knew it wasn't the potential it had.

After getting the thing going I was quite intimidated, the torque and power was good at best and the 4-wheeling cability was scary for this greenhorn, but one problem, the motor would quit running after 30 minutes of running, then refire after 30 minutes of wait time. That was a battle for an 11 month period. During this time I talked to Chris Richards at massflo and proceeded to throw tfi modules and pip pickups at it with no avail, because the systems glitch could not be produced by the eec he said. Right before the Az stampede I got hooked up with a guy who built efi systems for a company here in tucson, and got him to take a look at the problem. Right out of the box he states it's this or that then starts checking stuff with his multi-meter and says it's the eec relay---whoa I was impressed and of course asked him if he could fix it for me and how much. He said OK gave me a price and said he wouldn't be using the existing style of relay as they were way to small, and also said he would change out the fuel pump relay as well. He told me he would use the automotive style just like all the ones on the rest of the trucks systems. So that enabled me to drive the damn thing without fear of being a roadblock anymore:)

I got to the Stampede scared to death--- following all of the experienced guys and had a blast. Even at one point on a 3.5 obstacle which I had to have spotters guide me because I didn't even want to do it because of possible body damage the results were good. The spotter kept saying you're loading and unloading the suspension to much and I told him the damn thing just wants to go, we finished the obstacle and that's when I realized I was in 4-high LOL. Maybe that's why the tranny got to 250 degrees while all weekend it ran 180. DOH;D. Wango Tango did everything I could wish for except totally blow the tires off the thing---I know that's not what everyone's thought is but when you've got it and it's not happening there's a problem.

The problem really started to irk me when I met Monster Mike from Washington drive it on a night run. And the only complaint he had was that gas pedal was to light for him. On the way back to the stampede on a stretch of blacktop he asked if he could stand on it and I said sure Mike but it won't run, he gave it a go and said WTF.

It gets even better, the morning of the group picture I headed out of camp to go to the picture taking site and I get flagged down for liquid poring out of the back of the bronco----geezzz. It ended up being the Mallory fuel pump, which came with the efi system. Upon disassembling it I found it to be making metal which then caused the seal to transfer rubber and leak. Of course Mallory doesn't want anyone to be able to fix this chit as seal was glued in but I out smarted the problem by machining the seal out and machining a little grove for a ring clip to hold the new seal in. With the pump making metal I knew this would be an easy seal to change now. As for the pump making metal it has to be from it being miss machined and after looking at the problem, and it's a gear rotor style pump the making problem should go away after it clearances itself, no issues with pressure.

Fast forward---I looked at other options like going back to a carb and a possible new system, but the more I thought about the more I got pissed off----I just so wanted to haze the 39.5s at 7500----It's just a gear head thing! During the prior months I had been lurking around all of the efi threads here on clbs looking for something that would give me a clue but I didn't find anything as far as what were my issues. I did pick up on someone here called the EFIGUY though, and decided to P.M. him with the explanation of my problems, what could it hurt--- he'll either answer or blow me off. Well low and behold the EFIGUY jumped in head first with help and then realized he was just as big of a gear head as me!

The EFIGUY went to my garage here and checked out the pics and started asking about the moter and setup, his first request was for me to send him the eec chip and to replace the 42lb injectors with 60lbs, so I did that. Check this out since the injectors were getting changed and of course since the fuel pump is making metal. I picked up a fuel filter element to replace the one in secondary 5 micron Mallory that came with the system, and here we go again:-X the f-in filter housing DID NOT HAVE A ELEMENT in it----really----and yes the 42s were full of metal go figure.

Ok back to the efi stuff, once he got the chip and checked it out there were numerous programming issues like 350ci, it's a 408, total timing in the twentys from what I remember, it needs more 35 and goofy stuff that I can't remember. Another big concern of his was why the use of a chebby maf sensor which uses frequency, and the ford system uses hertz? He has heard of this massflo system in the tuning world, but this was his first hands on experience with it. He changed the tune on the chip, sent it back to me and I gave it a go, but to no avail---same chit. I called to tell him about it and he proceeded to tell me he'd been doing some research and it wasn't good. Stuff like the sensor interface with the frequency and hertz thing was a hindrance, the sensor itself wouldn't support anything over 5 grd rpm and the list goes on technically speaking.

Well that really sucked to here so at that point he said we needed to come up with something would work with my deal, as it's a strange one being the sensor is in the air cleaner. Definitely an air flow issue with the sensor and more! While talking with him about the mess, I told him I was concerned about what the meter would flow because it really look like it would suck, so I decided to throw it on the flow bench. The throttle body and the 1" spacer together did 1160 cfm, kinda figured it would because the TB was a 1000 cfm deal and the spacers good for about 100 so that jived. Now the real issue---flowed it with everything on it and wow 730 cfm! I proceeded to forward the info to the EFIGUY. Two days later I got a call from Garry as by now we were definitely friends saying he had an idea on a possible solution which was to build a 4"id sensor tube at least 6" long, having a 5" inlet and outlet. So i bought a piece of 5.5 x .75 wall th. x 7" long aluminum tube and proceeded to machine it with Garry's and my motor guys advice. The motor guys heavy into the air flow thing, which was a big plus for this experiment. I machined the TB end first then the sensor port and then got kinda excited when I found a 5" turbo bellmouth to modify to fit on the inlet end which made for a really gucci inlet airflow path. When I finished machining the housing I flowed it to make sure it worked the way it was supposed to and it did, very stable flow which we were hopeing for as unstable air isn't good for the slot sensor.

Garry then took over and we flowed the setup with the harness powered up and proceeded to map a tune using maf voltage points (30 of them) corresponding to actual cfm#s then converted to kg/hr and saved to the chip. Once we got done Garry did his calculations and said something wasn't right, even though the fuel curve looked good the fuel #s looked to be about doubled what they should be. Well we decided to try it anyway and sure enough it was way fat. We then went over my math that I was feeding Garry during the flow bench #s crunch, that apparently I screwed up with decimal points being in the wrong place with my numbers that I was feeding him.

We chose to go strait to data logging for the tune as I was running out of time. there was a 2 day time period to get it right before I left town to go to the unevent in Oregon. I forgot to mention that Garry was so cool, the quarterhorse chip that we were using was on loan from him. So then a tuning glitch struck (couldn't data log) and we couldn't finish the tune. Even though the thing was fat I experienced scary power for this green horn. The Unevent was awesome all thanks to the EFIGUY. Since being back from Oregon Garry has checked in to the glitch and it's looking like it's on my end, Garry said no way is this thing going to a carb;D

EFIguy/Garry is an awesome guy. It's great having him local. He'll get you sorted out and that thing will run like it should.

Amazing build!!!!

Thanks for the kind words guys. I'm a little excited to finish getting this monster dialed in. I wanna see vids of 4 tires roasting. ;D

OP
OP
Letsgocrawling

Letsgocrawling

Contributor
Loc.
Tucson Az.
Thanks to all of you guys that keep this EB craze going---- from stock to mild, then mild to wild. It's all good in my eyes. I'm still looking to be a 2 bronco owner-----still looking to pull the trigger when it's right. I'm glad nobody barfed with my essay on chronic whining but it was fun to post the mess anyway;);D

OP
OP
Letsgocrawling

Letsgocrawling

Contributor
Loc.
Tucson Az.
I finally got around to installing a Innovate Motorsports air fuel ratio gauge to keep me up to date with the tune up. All of this is happening of course with the help of the EFI Guy, who definitely has got patience working with this greenhorn:-[ Look closely at the hole where the cable goes through the tranny tunnel it's a customized 12 gauge slug penetration! Can't make this chit up;D

Attachments

• DCP_2397.jpg
    DCP_2397.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 97
  • DCP_2398.jpg
    DCP_2398.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 88
  • DCP_2399.jpg
    DCP_2399.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 104
  • DCP_2400.jpg
    DCP_2400.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 110
Last edited:
OP
OP
Letsgocrawling

Letsgocrawling

Contributor
Loc.
Tucson Az.
After looking at the rock skis for 2 months i finally got around to getting them mounted.

Attachments

• DCP_2434.jpg
    DCP_2434.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 84
  • DCP_2435.jpg
    DCP_2435.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 83
  • DCP_2433.jpg
    DCP_2433.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 75
  • DCP_2432.jpg
    DCP_2432.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 67
  • DCP_2428.jpg
    DCP_2428.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 67
  • DCP_2427.jpg
    DCP_2427.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 66
  • DCP_2426.jpg
    DCP_2426.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 69
  • DCP_2441.jpg
    DCP_2441.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 73
OP
OP
Letsgocrawling

Letsgocrawling

Contributor
Loc.
Tucson Az.
more pics

Attachments

• DCP_2440.jpg
    DCP_2440.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 79
  • DCP_2439.jpg
    DCP_2439.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 68
  • DCP_2438.jpg
    DCP_2438.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 77
  • DCP_2436.jpg
    DCP_2436.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 74
  • DCP_2437.jpg
    DCP_2437.jpg
    117.5 KB · Views: 82
OP
OP
Letsgocrawling

Letsgocrawling

Contributor
Loc.
Tucson Az.
Harold after talking to you when you installed yours i new it was going to be a pita that's why it took so long for me to do mine---but finally got to it. Thanks for getting it done first mister, i know mine don't have end caps like your's but it was a cold mother trucker--but there basically finished. I'll work on getting them up to your speed later:-*

OP
OP
Letsgocrawling

Letsgocrawling

Contributor
Loc.
Tucson Az.
Well it's been awhile since posting or having any fun here on classic due to a miserable divorce...and yes i thought i was going to lose the bronco in the process...and yes it hasn't been touched since Moab's bronco safari, i figured i would get a head start with the new year coming up to get out of my funk with the past and start fresh reconnecting with my eb brothers and sisters. Hanging out here will be all that i need to get the fire started once again as there's always something to do to wango tango lol...I never posted any pics with the top off other than changing my avatar with one...so i'm throwing some up. also a mod moving the tfi module to a cooler place. My next mod which i hope to start asap is dropping the transfer case and adapter for breather work, i'm done with more environmental cleanup than i care to lol. After experiencing the dunes at year before lasts unevent in Oregon, iv'e been bit by the sand bug lol and had some paddles made for wango tango...so we'll see how that goes. I look forward to saying hi to all my friends here and as usual look to sharing any of my brain damage;D lol Mark

Attachments

• DCP_2450.jpg
    DCP_2450.jpg
    125.6 KB · Views: 62
  • DCP_2451.jpg
    DCP_2451.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 67
  • DCP_2452.jpg
    DCP_2452.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 72
  • DCP_2454.jpg
    DCP_2454.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 74
  • DCP_2448.jpg
    DCP_2448.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 131
  • DCP_2446.jpg
    DCP_2446.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 88
  • DCP_2444.jpg
    DCP_2444.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 94
  • DCP_2442.jpg
    DCP_2442.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 87
  • DCP_2449.jpg
    DCP_2449.jpg
    117.4 KB · Views: 69
  • 20150613_093522[1].jpg
    20150613_093522[1].jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 71

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Mark! Glad to see you back.
Sorry you had to go through so much to get back here though. But hey, at least you kept Wango and a little "lol" to boot.;D

Hard to keep that last bit after some of what life dishes out. So glad it's still there.
Good idear on the remote TFI. Helped lots of Bronco owners, and with you being down in the desert, probably the best idea yet.

Seeya around the place.

Paul

OP
OP
Letsgocrawling

Letsgocrawling

Contributor
Loc.
Tucson Az.
Mark! Glad to see you back.
Sorry you had to go through so much to get back here though. But hey, at least you kept Wango and a little "lol" to boot.;D

Hard to keep that last bit after some of what life dishes out. So glad it's still there.
Good idear on the remote TFI. Helped lots of Bronco owners, and with you being down in the desert, probably the best idea yet.

Seeya around the place.

Paul

Hi Paul, again thank you for the kind words and push, with the holidays i figured this was the best time to get some eb comfort... and no better place like classic to do that for sure. The tmi module move actually came from frantic issues with the efi system...chasing gremlins as they say, Gary the EFI guy got everything worked out thank god, but like you said being down here in the southwest i should never have a problem with heat soak again just one less problem to deal with...not even sure if that's it's final home. lol Take care Mark

JefeAZ

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tucson
I was wondering why everyone was calling Mark Wango Tango last weekend and now I know. Amazing fab work in this thread!

Wango Tango is alive and well! It looks like yours also started out as a limestone green poly '74 which is what mine was as well as Dan74Bronc's. We had three assembly line brothers back together 43 years after leaving the plant

Attachments

• 20171007_082722.jpg
    20171007_082722.jpg
    172.4 KB · Views: 56
  • 20171007_082732.jpg
    20171007_082732.jpg
    172.1 KB · Views: 63