• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Fireball's '76 build thread - "Piece by Piece" - PAINTED, ASSEMBLED & ON THE ROAD!

allenfahey

Bronco Guru
Get in touch with Broncitis here on CB. He lives in York and has alot of parts.

FRANKO289

Contributor
Bronco enthusiast
Also, am I correct is assuming the black switch to the left of the radio was cut in there, but that otherwise all switches are stock and it's an otherwise uncut dash?

Thanks!

1, CONGRATS sweet EB !!

2, its Not "cut in" .... yours is just Not a stock/original switch. ( see pic)

Attachments

• broncodashradio.jpg
    broncodashradio.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 215
OP
OP
Fireball05

Fireball05

Bronco Guru
Allen - thanks for the message. I've traded a few messages with Drew and hope to make it out his way to say hello in the next week or two. He also mentioned he knows a really good painter down towards Baltimore :)

Franko - what does that switch do? The black plastic switch in that location on my truck appears to do absolutely nothing!

Blue Bastard

Bronco Guru
Looks pretty solid. I would get after the bottom side with a wire wheel/brushes and get some chassie saver/por 15 on it. It is labor intensive but dosnet require much skill and wont cost much $. It has been a southern truck that probally has not seen much moisture. Once you start useing it around you in the upper north east it will start rusting faster. Once done the bottom will be sealed up and you could start with the body. Mabey you could tape off the seams and grind/ blast out the seems then paint a stripe or something temporaily that looks decent till you are ready to spend the $,$$$ to paint. Good luck to ya and have fun, thats what is about right?

Last edited:

tasker

Contributor
all knowing of nothing
Loc.
NH
nice rig! congrats on getting it and the affair that will soon follow. There are no dumb questions, it's the only way anybody learns....i know i am!

Sporto

Welcome to the EB addiction...Great looking rig, you did very well for yourself. Also great to see another PA person on here. Ditto on the getting in touch with Drew, and also Ransil on here. These guys live and breathe Broncos and are always willing to offer their advice and expertise.

I know that you probably have heard about MEB (MidAtlantic Early Broncos), but I strongly suggest that you join, and come to an event or two. You will not only learn a lot about your Bronco, but you will also meet some really great people to share your passion with.

Good luck with it!

Rich

:cool:

OP
OP
Fireball05

Fireball05

Bronco Guru
Looks pretty solid. I would get after the bottom side with a wire wheel/brushes and get some chassie saver/por 15 on it. It is labor intensive but dosnet require much skill and wont cost much $. It has been a southern truck that probally has not seen much moisture. Once you start useing it around you in the upper north east it will start rusting faster. Once done the bottom will be sealed up and you could start with the body. Mabey you could tape off the seams and grind/ blast out the seems then paint a stripe or something temporaily that looks decent till you are ready to spend the $,$$$ to paint. Good luck to ya and have fun, thats what is about right?

Thanks for the info. Which areas in particular did you see that looked really bad? Also, not a bad idea on the stripe. I don't need it to look perfect, but the primer/bondo/halfway through doing some body work look isn't too appealing either!

This is our 3rd car and will likely be more of a weekend cruiser, fun car. My wife's legacy wagon will pull snow duty for us, so hopefully the EB won't be too exposed to the elements.

FRANKO289

Contributor
Bronco enthusiast
Franko - what does that switch do? The black plastic switch in that location on my truck appears to do absolutely nothing!

cigar lighter

Attachments

• Dash%20layout%20only.jpg
    Dash%20layout%20only.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 164

Blue Bastard

Bronco Guru
Thanks for the info. Which areas in particular did you see that looked really bad? Also, not a bad idea on the stripe. I don't need it to look perfect, but the primer/bondo/halfway through doing some body work look isn't too appealing either!

This is our 3rd car and will likely be more of a weekend cruiser, fun car. My wife's legacy wagon will pull snow duty for us, so hopefully the EB won't be too exposed to the elements.

Nothing jumped out at me as bad, It would just help preserve and tidy it up under there. You had mentioned that you wanted to attack the rust.

OP
OP
Fireball05

Fireball05

Bronco Guru
Thanks guys, the fun continues! Removed the heater box tonight to start replacing a leaking heater core, and upgrade the blower fan and motor.

Only found 3 more things I have to buy! One missing hood support rubber bumper, one rubber grommet for the license plate wiring harness, and a new firewall insulation kit. Oh, and a pair of stainless nuts and bolts for the liftgate handle. Getting things sorted out one piece at a time :)

JohnJohn

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Richmond
Congrats!!!
"Only found 3 more things I have to buy! " :)
I want to warn you that your bank account and credit cards are about to be taken by your Bronco. :)

Join MEB and come to one our the events so we can see your new ride.
MEB Web Site:http://www.earlybroncos.com/

OP
OP
Fireball05

Fireball05

Bronco Guru
JohnJohn - definitely planning to join the club in the new year. Might try to make it to the Rausch Creek get together in February. Might not be ready for any trails at that point in time, but will hopefully have a working heater by that time!

Got the heater box pulled out, taken apart and all the stuff together for the chevy blower motor upgrade:

Was also able to get the hood struts mounted this morning. Thought that was going to be a quick and easy job, but ended up needing to put the fender brackets in the vise and give them a pretty serious bend. Was worried it was going to crack the powdercoating, but luckily it was OK. Here is a picture of the gap before they were bent.

Also ran into some confusion on where to drill the holes in the hood for the mounts. The diagram scale was completely off. Was able to get it sorted out, so now have working hood struts. That was today's major victory.

That and the Bronco successfully completed its second 16mile round trip to my friends shop!

OP
OP
Fireball05

Fireball05

Bronco Guru
Again in keeping with the theme of 3s, I found 3 more things I need to buy: new ignition switch, heater control valve and new oil pressure sending unit. It'll be my cheapest total yet from bronco graveyard!

broncoitis

Bronco Guru
Again in keeping with the theme of 3s, I found 3 more things I need to buy: new ignition switch, heater control valve and new oil pressure sending unit. It'll be my cheapest total yet from bronco graveyard!

Welcome to the site! Greatest site on the net bar none. Everyone on here is awesome and always willing to lend encouragement and advice if needed.

Good luck with the mods and just have fun with it! Hopefully I will get to see it this coming year at one of the events. Gotta get out with mine more this coming year. ;D

OP
OP
Fireball05

Fireball05

Bronco Guru
Guys, I got the new tires mounted up this morning. Looks much better! Also wanted to ask another round of newbie questions about the gauge cluster:

1. where is the temp sensor pickup in the engine bay? I hooked up my gauges the other day, oil pressure sender unit is bad but I have that ordered and will be replacing soon. Can't seem to find the temp.

2. The voltage gauge just seems to stay around 0 and bounces up and down quite a bit. Is that normal?

3. Lastly, does the gas gauge somehow indicate a total in both tanks? I've only got the original rear tank, aux tank was removed. Filled it up when I first got the truck, gauge went to about 2/3rds full. Have driven maybe 90 miles, and gauge was going down as per normal, filled it up on my way home and put in about 7 gallons. Does this sound correct?

This is with the engine running at a stop light this morning:

I had asked the tire guys to mount the weights all on the inside because I don't want to see weights once I reinstall the hubcaps. When I came to pick it up they said it would've required lots of weights as they were pretty hard to balance. Looks like the wheel weight fairie throw up all over my wheels:

I can't imagine generic steel wheels would be hard to balance???? It did drive really nice at 55-60mph down the highway heading home, so I'm pretty happy about that.

I'd like to buy new lug nuts. Checked the McGard website which says 1/2" - 20 is the correct size. Can someone confirm this? It also says these lugs aren't for use on steel wheels? Any reason why not? http://www.mcgard.com/component/hik...&ymm_year=1976&ymm_make=Ford&ymm_model=Bronco

Thanks to all again for the warm welcome and dealing with my idle chatter and silly questions!

tasker

Contributor
all knowing of nothing
Loc.
NH
1/2" 20 is correct, acorn seat for those wheels. Temp sender is on left front of the intake manifold.

allenfahey

Bronco Guru
You can get a ignition switch, oil, and temp switch at your local parts place. The voltage gauge you refered to is actually the amp gauge. Many of them don't work.