• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Fire extinguisher POLL

How many of you have a fire extinguisher onboard

• Yes I have one

Votes: 283 73.9%
  • No I do not

Votes: 25 6.5%
  • I plan on getting one soon

Votes: 73 19.1%
  • never,never needed one

Votes: 2 0.5%

• Total voters

NicksTrix

Bronco Guru
i'd like to se a poll on where your extinguisher is mounted. that would be interesting to me. how about to anyone else?

Master Chief

Contributor
Bronco Guru
i'd like to se a poll on where your extinguisher is mounted. that would be interesting to me. how about to anyone else?

Nick mine is mounted behind the driver seat, fastened to the roll bar. I use the Rugged Ridge web mount and keep the straps loose enough to remove the bottle yet tight enough to keep it firmly mounted to the bar. Here is a photo one.

Roger

Attachments

• rugged ridge fire extinguisher holder.jpg
    rugged ridge fire extinguisher holder.jpg
    13.8 KB · Views: 26

ransil

Bronco Guru
Make sure you mount them so you can reach and release them while belted in.

chuzie

Bronco Guru
One on left side of driver's seat and one on rear hoop of roll bar.

jw0747

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Antonio, TX
2...mounted on vertical roll bar behind driver and right side passenger. My mounts are snap-in, snap-out type that came from a local fire extinguisher company and held in place by radiator hose clamps.

savage

Contributor
Bronco Nut
Loc.
Renton
Yes, all ways carry one in all vehicles, I think its because being a truck driver for 30 plus years its habit.

malonejy

Bronco Guru
You can see the two mounted with quick releases on my rear half of my cage. Easy access from outside (either side of the vehicle). A third will be going inside the cab somewhere for easy from the driver seat.

FYI, my Scott Drake mount works great. Doesn't even rattle. My generic one rattles. I'm sure I could find a few different ways to tighten it up, but if I had to do it again, I would just spend the few extra bucks for another Drake.

Attachments

• P1050934.jpg
    P1050934.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 54
  • P1040743.jpg
    P1040743.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 50
  • P1050572.jpg
    P1050572.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 59

matt w

Bronco Guru
Well I have carried one for almost 20 years and never needed it. About 6 weeks ago I was following my wife to return her van that we had had a new engine installed about 4 month prior because we had ac issues. Well I followed her on the freeway for about 40 mins and about 2 blocks later I notice smoke coming out of the back of it. Anyhow it caught on fire & if I did not have my fire extinguisher in the Bronco that puppy would have burnt to the ground! This was just 6 weeks ago! Needless to say I already replaced the small one I used!;D

Tom Dummer

Loc.
Scappoose, Or
I'm a procrastinator. I believe if my Bronco needs the extinguisher that I don't have with me then maybe I'll get around to building the next one with all the right upgrades I've been putting off, like oil changes and stuff.

lonesouth

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Jeez Gary, didn't realize you had nine vehicles...we need to get you a lift!

BluebroncoNC

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Asheville, NC

1 of my 2.5's is mounted between the drivers seat and the door, just under my left thigh, the other is on the roll bar behind me.

Fits right nice between the seat and the door.

bknbronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
North Metro, MN
So all you guys patting yourself on the back for having a extinguisher.....how big is it? If your favorite liquor comes in a bigger bottle than your fire extinguisher then you need to rethink your priorities. That little watterbottle sized extinguisher ant gona do shit when the time comes to put it to use. Hopefully that handle of morgan is within reach. (either to help put out the fire or to swig off of while you watch your rig burn down because that little puff from your tiny extinguisher didn't do shit.)

Seriously though....when I get around to installing a extinguisher its gona be a 10 pounder. We don't blink a eye about carring a 10lb CO2 tank for airing up tires, so why not a 10lb extinguisher.

We have 4 of them tiny extinguishers at my parents house and im sure there over 10 years old maybe more. Since they should probably be replaced anyways im gona do a test this spring and see how much they actually would put out. Maybe they have more punch than I give them credit for. Ill come back to this thread and post videos when I get around to it.

coachbarnes

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Franktown/Breck, CO
I've been through two car fires (Corvette & Delta 88) in my 56 years on Earth - neither car was mine, both times we had fire extinguishers. First one we had a BIG honkin' "regular" fire extinguisher - used it UP, fire still burning - got outta there most ricki-tick! Second time - Corvette - Halon extinguisher. Snuffed out the fire, came back - repeat 'til extinguisher empty - run like HELL! Here's what I carry now:

http://www.elise-shop.com/sparco-fi...?language=en&zenid=br6vuuqprubg5lk2pk9fmavus6

Sparco fireater - over 50 seconds of product; believe me, if the fire is still burning after 50 seconds, you don't EVEN want to be in the general vicinity! Here is another variant - watch the attached video in this link:

http://www.mangiafuoco.biz/en/home.asp

To make it easier - here's the youtube videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEcG3k4uom8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YsqxN2-ddUc&feature=related

I'm surprised no one else replied to this post -- this thing is awesome! I don't quite understand what's in it or how it works, but the videos sure sold me! Almost a full minute compared to 10-15 seconds with my 2.5lb abc seems like a no brainer. What the heck am I missing?

Ksm

Bronco Guru
I'm surprised no one else replied to this post -- this thing is awesome! I don't quite understand what's in it or how it works, but the videos sure sold me! Almost a full minute compared to 10-15 seconds with my 2.5lb abc seems like a no brainer. What the heck am I missing?

Yea, tell us where you bought it? I only see it on UK sites.

bknbronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
North Metro, MN
Yuck it up half cab:p! (im glad me and you have this debby downer relationship)

Im just saying its like going hunting with only one bullet. Sure its enough to fill your tag, but we all take more than one right. What happened when that tiny extinguisher goes puff and the fire continues to grow? Then your gona wish you brought the whole box of ammo. Lets not pride ourselves on going to war with a red ryder!

And no I don't live with my parents....although it would be nice sometimes to get away from the GF and her 3 daughters! And my parents would love having me closer to them. Just because you own your own house don't make you better than anybody else. There will come a time when the youth of this shitty country wont be able to afford to move out! The fact that we Americans feel the need to work 5 days a week is just ridiculous. Im happy with working about 25 hours a week myself, and right now my mailbox money (unemployment) is perfect! Just because I own a bronco don't mean I make over 25K a year!

Id love to see some pics of guys with extinguishers mounted in there bronco that are bigger than the $10 walmart cigar putter-outers. If it fits in your cup holder its too small.

Last edited: