• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Fire extinguisher POLL

How many of you have a fire extinguisher onboard

• Yes I have one

Votes: 283 73.9%
  • No I do not

Votes: 25 6.5%
  • I plan on getting one soon

Votes: 73 19.1%
  • never,never needed one

Votes: 2 0.5%

• Total voters

bknbronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
North Metro, MN
I dont really see the need for one unless offroading maybe. I had one in my excursion but thats only because the DOT required it when pulling a trailer. Of the 4 or 5 around the house and garage we never used one in 33 years.

The size most guys use wouldnt put out a cigar, let alone a blazing fire from a gas leak. Most trails and inspections require one so its a must when i decide to go wheeling someday, but i really dont see the need. A little dirt or sand would work better than a tiny extinguisher.

I saw a cop car burn to the ground when it decided to follow some guy into the woods and punched a hole in the gas tank and the exhaust started the gas and grass on fire ingulfing the car. He pulled out his handy extinguisher, two if i remember right, but they wasnt big enough to do shit. He stepped back and let er burn!

Dont brag about your extinguisher unless its a 10 pounder! Maybe a 5.

Oakland Bronco

Loc.
San Francisco, CA
I dont really see the need for one unless offroading maybe.

Many of you know that my rig caught fire recently. That was in stop-and-go traffic, so I disagree with the quote above.

In the end, it took a 5 gal. bucket of water and 3 extinguishers to get the fire out; we were focused on the fire in the engine bay and didn't realize the fire had made its way inside to the dash. I had 1 extinguisher in the rig, and while that didn't get the fire out, it did keep the fire from spreading more rapidly while help was on the way.

If I could make one request/suggestion, that would be to please, please be smart about where you locate the extinguisher(s). I was lazy and had mine stored underneath the passenger seat. This is what happened to me after I realized the Bronco was on fire: Shift to park and turn off the bronco. Run around the Bronco to the passenger side. Realized that the passenger door was locked. Ran back around the Bronco, hopped in, and unlocked the door. Run back around the Bronco.... You get the point. I'm getting two extinguishers next time, and both will be mounted with easy access from the driver's seat.

I carried an extinguisher to pat myself on the back for being more safe. Never thought it would happen to me, but it did. Hope it doesn't happen to you. Carry an extinguisher.

Attachments

• IMG_0321.JPG
    IMG_0321.JPG
    262.8 KB · Views: 96

malonejy

Bronco Guru
I dont really see the need for one unless offroading maybe. I had one in my excursion but thats only because the DOT required it when pulling a trailer. Of the 4 or 5 around the house and garage we never used one in 33 years.

The size most guys use wouldnt put out a cigar, let alone a blazing fire from a gas leak. Most trails and inspections require one so its a must when i decide to go wheeling someday, but i really dont see the need. A little dirt or sand would work better than a tiny extinguisher.

I saw a cop car burn to the ground when it decided to follow some guy into the woods and punched a hole in the gas tank and the exhaust started the gas and grass on fire ingulfing the car. He pulled out his handy extinguisher, two if i remember right, but they wasnt big enough to do shit. He stepped back and let er burn!

Dont brag about your extinguisher unless its a 10 pounder! Maybe a 5.

Good point. I think I'll stop wearing my seat belt. It's only a lap belt so I doubt it will do much good anyway. It's been about 15 years since I've been in an accident anyway. Don't anyone give me any crap either unless you use a full harness %)

OP
OP
half cab

half cab

Contributor
Guru Bronco

Dont brag about your extinguisher unless its a 10 pounder! Maybe a 5:cry:.

Don't brag about your not havining to use a fire extinguisher unless you are ready to use it! Debbie downer;)

bknbronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
North Metro, MN
Don't brag about your not havining to use a fire extinguisher unless you are ready to use it! Debbie downer

Just sayen if your gona have one onboard then make it worth while. If i carry a 10lb CO2 tank then i believe to be fair the fire extinguisher should be of equal or greater size dont ya think?? A tiny 20 oz one is worthless. Most car fires are gona get large and quick.

RIbronco

Loc.
Costa Mesa, CA
Up until recently, I've carried fire extinguishers in my vehicles for years. When I moved recently, the moving company for my house hold goods and vehicle transporters would not move them, so they ended up with my old neighbors. Thanks for the reminder to pick up some new ones.

El Kabong

Contributor
Driving stuff Henry built
It seems like car fires were a lot more common when these Broncos were new. I carry a 9-1/2 pounder.

Years ago I had a little fire extinguisher. I tried to put out a fire under the hood on the side of the freeway, & it gave its little puff with no effect on the fire. I might as well have sneezed on it. The guy's car burned up by the time the fire dept could get there. It was so sad. I bought a big one the next day, & have used it on roadside fires a few times since. Funny thing, although grateful to have their fire put out, no one has ever offered to refill it.

I've never needed one for my own vehicle yet (Knock on wood ;D), but have been there when 2 company trucks caught fire without extinguishers. I was driving a 57 Chevy panel hardware store delivery truck. The cab suddenly filled with smoke. I got lucky. The fire was electrical & went out when I turned off the key. The next week I got to rewire the truck, & we put an extinguisher on board.

The other was my boss's truck (67 Ford maybe?) at a restaurant equipment service company. We tried to smother it out with rags, with no success. At the last second we remembered that it had a CO2 bottle on board related to the work we did. A quick shot of the CO2 snuffed the fire right out. It worked fast & there was no powder to clean up. Since it displaces oxygen you gotta to be careful to not snuff out yourself. I keep a blow gun with my gear on the work truck currently. I wonder if Powertank users could add a blow gun & make their tanks double as an extinguisher.

broncoitis

Bronco Guru
What is the minimum recommended size? I don't have one but its on the to do list. Also what brand or type. Definitely gonna get one though

TheGanzman

Loc.
San Clemente
I've been through two car fires (Corvette & Delta 88) in my 56 years on Earth - neither car was mine, both times we had fire extinguishers. First one we had a BIG honkin' "regular" fire extinguisher - used it UP, fire still burning - got outta there most ricki-tick! Second time - Corvette - Halon extinguisher. Snuffed out the fire, came back - repeat 'til extinguisher empty - run like HELL! Here's what I carry now:

http://www.elise-shop.com/sparco-fi...?language=en&zenid=br6vuuqprubg5lk2pk9fmavus6

Sparco fireater - over 50 seconds of product; believe me, if the fire is still burning after 50 seconds, you don't EVEN want to be in the general vicinity! Here is another variant - watch the attached video in this link:

http://www.mangiafuoco.biz/en/home.asp

To make it easier - here's the youtube videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEcG3k4uom8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YsqxN2-ddUc&feature=related

Punisher

Contributor
Iv always had one on my bronco and I used it the first time I went wheeling.

zonian

Loc.
St. Augustine
Drake quick release.........my 72 caught fire at a stop light, battery had vibrated over and the post terminal made contact with the side of the engine compartment, sparks and flame!

smokinjoe

Bronco Guru
Loc.
New Braunfels, TX
Reminder bump.

Thank-You for bumping this, I read the thread and notice it gets bumped for a reminder every once in awhile and for good reason.

Had an electrical fire in my Mustang a while back, luckily after kiling the power and my cap (I was in uniform that day) I was able to put it out before it did any serious damage, but dangerous none the less.

Then I had a P71 Crown Vic spark up on me as I was draining the fuel tank. I had an electric pump wired up to help drain it and it must have arc'd vapors or something but it's very scary how fast it spreads. Luckily my neighbor ran a pool cleaning business and came running over w/ a huge bag of baking soda. I was about to roll the car in the cul de sac.

Then, having welders in the garage .... %)

I'm committing to buying a couple for the garage, one for the Stang, and someday one in the Bronco. Fires are seriously scary.