• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

"The Nightmare" - '73 Explorer Father & Son Build Thread!

fordfan

Contributor
Bronco Guru
JGbronc; The crank said:
I think we were mentioning the concept of "Doing it right the first time" once already in this thread. It seems some people nowdays have lost their feeling of pride in their work; they just want to "Get it out" so they can collect! Maybe this wasn't the deal on this though.?.....What happened...??:?

OP
OP
JGbronc

JGbronc

Bronco Maniac
OH!!! I did not see the previous post.....CRAP!!

Yeah....Due to my lack of knowledge, I'll consider it partially my fault. But I'm not so sure I'm gonna take all the blame. I just hope everything else turns out okay. :-[

Live and learn, I guess. Professionals built the Titanic, an amateur built the Ark! :cool:

OP
OP
JGbronc

JGbronc

Bronco Maniac
That would be an amateur with the best possible guidance;D

Good talking with you last night. Keep the posts coming!

Yes, very true. And if I do say so myself, I have some pretty good guidance on Bronco stuff right here on CB!

Same to you. I'll be sure to keep posting and including plenty of pics!

OP
OP
JGbronc

JGbronc

Bronco Maniac
Today, Dad worked on the rotisserie, while I painted a few things.

I painted the pulleys, balancer, and I finished the intake plate.

Neat story about the intake plate- My Dad's friend who passed away years ago was a pretty big Bronco guy. His neighbor's son was killed in a Mustang, and told him he would give him the remains of the car if he would put the engine in a Bronco. He did it, and put the EFI on with it. This was possibly the first EFI Early Bronco Dad ever saw. After the guy passed away, my uncle bought most of his Bronco stuff including the EFI Bronco. He ended up swapping it to carb, so he removed the intake stuff. He later sold the Bronco. I got the plate from him the other night, and spiffed it up a bit. So something from Dad's friend's EFI swap, likely the first one he saw, is going on his first EFI Bronco! Maybe it's silly, but I think it's pretty neat. :cool:

I plan to pick the engine parts back up tomorrow, along with some new gaskets and re-rebuild the engine. Hopefully it will be ok this time. %)

Attachments

• 100_0796.jpg
    100_0796.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 55
  • 100_0795.jpg
    100_0795.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 60
  • 100_0797.jpg
    100_0797.jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 78
OP
OP
JGbronc

JGbronc

Bronco Maniac
Dad worked on the rotisserie and got some of the welding done while I started back on the engine. I got the crank and 6 of the pistons in when my ring compressor broke. We will have to get another one.

I'm much more confident in it this time. Things are going much better. :cool:

OP
OP
JGbronc

JGbronc

Bronco Maniac
Today, I got most of the long block built. It all went much better this time, and I'm much more confident.

I also ordered a Flowkooler water pump from Summit, and a 1" body lift kit from Wild Horses. We decided to run a little body lift for extra hood clearance. I just hope we have enough.

Also, we went to Harbor Freight yesterday and bought lockable wheels with swivels for the rotisserie. Dad went and bought some tubing for it today as well.

Attachments

• 54dad73.jpg
    54dad73.jpg
    122.3 KB · Views: 71
  • 55dad73.jpg
    55dad73.jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 71
  • 56dad73.jpg
    56dad73.jpg
    120.5 KB · Views: 74
  • 57dad73.jpg
    57dad73.jpg
    167.8 KB · Views: 58
OP
OP
JGbronc

JGbronc

Bronco Maniac
I spent a little time on the engine today. The Flowkooler water pump came in from Summit so I put it on. I also installed the rocker arms and
harmonic balancer. The lower intake is just sitting on it.

Dad is making good progress on the rotisserie. It shouldn't be much longer till it's done.

Attachments

• 58dad73.jpg
    58dad73.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 64
  • 59dad73.jpg
    59dad73.jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 62

fordfan

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I Know You Are Going To Be Needing This Soon!

Worked on the "Miracle" today.......It's a "miracle" how long it is taking me to prep the tub for the reinstallation of the floorpans! I thought, that the last time that I worked on it, that in just a hour of two more, I would be into the installation process....!!!! It seems like almost everything takes longer when you actually do it; Funny how that works!

Here are some pics showing the Xmembers all repaired and cleaned, holes welded up, straightened, etc. I also removed parts of the old floor that welds to the inner rocker that the PO should have removed.....but, he didn't! One pic shows a little pile of floor pan sheet metal with the spot welds drilled out. I also plan on installing the floor pans underneath the inner rocker like they were originally. ( Not the easy way of just laying them on top and welding.)

Attachments

• 020.jpg
    020.jpg
    125 KB · Views: 104
  • 019.jpg
    019.jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 122
  • 017.jpg
    017.jpg
    154.3 KB · Views: 100
  • 016.jpg
    016.jpg
    116.4 KB · Views: 99
  • 015.jpg
    015.jpg
    129.7 KB · Views: 98
  • 014.jpg
    014.jpg
    118.7 KB · Views: 103
  • 011.jpg
    011.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 112
  • 010.jpg
    010.jpg
    130.7 KB · Views: 112

fordfan

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Just a few more pics: Xmembers are coated with the 3M Weld Thru 2, and a few more projects in the shop.

Attachments

• 027.jpg
    027.jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 138
  • 026.jpg
    026.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 158
  • 035.jpg
    035.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 106
  • 030.jpg
    030.jpg
    130.2 KB · Views: 110
  • 029.jpg
    029.jpg
    130.8 KB · Views: 118
  • 023.jpg
    023.jpg
    120.6 KB · Views: 103
  • 022.jpg
    022.jpg
    118.7 KB · Views: 115
  • 021.jpg
    021.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 115
OP
OP
JGbronc

JGbronc

Bronco Maniac
Great to see more progress! Looking good!

We have made some progress on the rotisserie.

Attachments

• 60dad73.JPG
    60dad73.JPG
    231.3 KB · Views: 72

JDJ

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Dothan
Speaking of progress......I need to get busy and make some on my project! %)

Looking good Jimmy! When will you get the body from Dennis?

fordfan

Contributor
Bronco Guru
"Maybe I'll be finished with it this week." I think I have said that same thing four times, so far!!!!!

OP
OP
JGbronc

JGbronc

Bronco Maniac
Speaking of progress......I need to get busy and make some on my project! %)

Looking good Jimmy! When will you get the body from Dennis?

Whenever it has the floors installed, we will probably ride down on a Friday or Saturday and pick it up. We also have another parts Bronco to pick up. ;D

The 1" body lift came in from Wild Horses today, and Dad made more progress on the rotisserie. No pics since I got in late.

JDJ

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Dothan
"Maybe I'll be finished with it this week." I think I have said that same thing four times, so far!!!!!

Dennis, don't sweat it. I have been saying I was gonna get my bronco done with in a couple of weeks or so.......and the first time I said that was prob around the end of January or so....... I know what you mean. Take your time and just do a good job (which I know you will). Jimmy will underdstand the time it takes when he gets the body back after the work is done right.

OP
OP
JGbronc

JGbronc

Bronco Maniac
Dennis, you don't have to worry about it. I understand that things happen and you are busy with other stuff. I've had some things come up here lately that has slowed progress down anyway, and will continue to for a while.

The rotisserie is rolling! :D

Attachments

• 100_0820.JPG
    100_0820.JPG
    180.8 KB · Views: 89

fordfan

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Wow!!!:eek: That's looking good! Looks like the ID of those pivot tubes have been bored on a lathe! How are you planning on attaching the body to the rotisserie? Are you catching the first (radiator support) and second (front floor pan) body mounts, or are you using a frame to rotate it on?

OP
OP
JGbronc

JGbronc

Bronco Maniac
Wow!!!:eek: That's looking good! Looks like the ID of those pivot tubes have been bored on a lathe! How are you planning on attaching the body to the rotisserie? Are you catching the first (radiator support) and second (front floor pan) body mounts, or are you using a frame to rotate it on?

It's quite possible that they have been on a lathe! ;D

We are going to mount it to the body mounts, and make some braces to prevent any bending. We will use the ones you mentioned plus the very back ones. It will also be vertically adjustable (Able to raise and lower).