• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

air conditioning for 1977

dsooner

I am purchasing a 1977 Bronco. Looking to put a/c in it. I also need to change the gear ratio to fit more of a daily driver. Not being a car guy, can someone tell me what kind of costs would I be looking at? Any help would be appreciated.

OP
OP
D

dsooner

Also, it has 31" tires with a dana 44 Narrow front axle and Ford 9" 28-spline narrow rear axle. James Duff auto adjust 70/30 suspension system. 3 on the tree... Would I need to change any of that out for it to be a daily driver?

Broncobowsher

Total hack
My generic rule of thumb is labor is about the same as parts. I would expect a $1000 AC kit to cost about $1000 in labor.

Where are you located at? The reason I ask is it is easy to get a bastard butchered job. Someplace that does everything, but doesn't know the oddities of a Bronco. If you are in one of the locations that there is a big Bronco shop that would probably be your best bet at getting stuff done right instead of just done and maybe a bit wrong and you not know it. You admit you are not a car person, the key is to find a place that can take care of you and not just take you to the cleaners.

OP
OP
D

dsooner

Thank you for your response. I am in Edmond, Oklahoma. don't know of a bronco shop here. do those a/c work well?
What about my other questions... any help is greatly appreciated!

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
A/C working well is dependent on how well the Bronco is sealed. If the weather stripping is gone or damaged, holes drilled everywhere from previous owners, rusted floor pans with holes, no carpeting, all will allow cool air to leak out and the A/C to seem like it's not cooling as much as it should.

31" tires would be fine with 3.50 gears and three on a tree in my opinion. Some would suggest going to 4.11 which will give it more get up and go.

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
I like the basic Vintage Air A/C unit. It's made so most home mechanic can install it easily. If you're not an A/C person though, you will be taking it to a pro for charging.
Gears? Ha!
Lots of speculation there.
My advice is to do the rear first. After all, most of our cars aren't the 10% off-the-road like we think.
There are lots of gear sets for these. Not just the more common 3.50, 4.11, 4.88, and 5.13, but also 3.73, 3.90 and 4.30.
Don't let anyone even try to tell you what your car needs. It's an individual's feeling here that matters.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Thank you for your response. I am in Edmond, Oklahoma. don't know of a bronco shop here. do those a/c work well?
What about my other questions... any help is greatly appreciated!

Give Gordon Bailie a call.. Bailie Bilt :)