• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Seam sealing

hankjr

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Me seems to recall this seam was sealed but not smooth to the body. Correct?

212a0c00b3b20f3c51815f9877ae9017.jpg

Thx

Hank

langester

Contributor
MASTER OF MADNESS
Hank,
Nice to see all the progress you made! All the ones I remember were just seam sealed like the horizontal quarter panel line. Hope someone else chimes in as well just to make sure.
Have a Good One!

Master Chief

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Correct Hank ... and I seem to remember Art and I had a lot of fun cleaning out the old sealer from that crevice.

Roger

OP
OP
hankjr

hankjr

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Thx guys.

Mostly taped off now. Still the seams on top of the cowl and then I’ll be ready I start squeezing out sealer

Hank

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
Yes the factory sealed that seam. Tape both sides of the crevice and inject seam sealer into the crevice. The better you work the seam sealer in there the better protection you will have. Try to hit the backside too. I like the cartridge systems so you can force the tip on the sheet metal and squirt into the crevice rather than just wiping it on top. after injecting wipe the excess and pull the tape for a real clean job.

OP
OP
hankjr

hankjr

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Yes the factory sealed that seam. Tape both sides of the crevice and inject seam sealer into the crevice. The better you work the seam sealer in there the better protection you will have. Try to hit the backside too. I like the cartridge systems so you can force the tip on the sheet metal and squirt into the crevice rather than just wiping it on top. after injecting wipe the excess and pull the tape for a real clean job.

This is pretty much exactly what I was planning, thx for confirmation. It’s all taped off now. I picked up some caulking tools to help force into there. Will start with a finer pointed tool and then a radiused tool for the finish

Hank

CraigS

Anyone ever weld that joint and smooth it that wants to say how difficult it was?

Master Chief

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Anyone ever weld that joint and smooth it that wants to say how difficult it was?

Cannot imagine welding that joint for one simple reason ... replacing the tail light housing. Found mine destroyed and masterfully repaired with plastic body filler when I stripped the paint. Needless to say, I replaced it during the build.

markw

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Welding it would be easy, look like hell and make it impossible to replace the taillight housing as noted by Chief.

langester

Contributor
MASTER OF MADNESS
I welded mine up. the main reason was because I used 65 for truck bed sides for the rear quarters. I like the way it came out. I would agree that it will make changing a rear corner more challenging. It is easy to weld up, just take your time and don't try to rush it if you do try it.

CraigS

Yeah, I can imagine it would look like hell if you didn't know what you were doing, but a smooth side would be pretty cool.