• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

1972 Tire Rack / Carrier Assembly

jackwagon

I've search the forum and can't find a picture of the factory tire rack completely assembled.
I am missing the tire rack hanger. The factory spare was held in place with the carriage bolt and the solid round plate, not the notched plate. I dont have one of those either.
According the Jeffs, the notched plate is for outside racks, and the solid plate is for inside racks.

I've looked at the LMC exploded view, but it doesn't show how the hanger is mounted and it only shows the notched plate. I can't find the assembly in my shop manuals.

So I'd like to get a pic or a link to how the factory rack and tire is mounted.

Thanks

spap

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Carriage bolt, hook holder, spare, round plate and nut on the end
Just google early bronco tire rack diagram

OP
OP
J

jackwagon

I did that but havent found the version of for my Bronco.
I dont have the notched plate, just the round one.
If I use the tire hook holder, I believe I would need to buy the notched plate.
https://shop.broncograveyard.com/Tire-Rack/products/60/
I have the 15315, I think if you have the hook you need the 15316.
I have seen pics with people who have the hook and you can see the wear or rust on the loop where it was mounted, my loop doesnt have any wear like that.
Is it possible the 1972 and earlier didnt have the hook?
And will the hook protrude through the hole in the center of the wheel or does it just contact the rim?
I can make it work with the parts I have, but it doesnt appear supported very well. Its just the tension of the bolt holding it in place.

75MIKE

Loc.
NE Washington
I guess it's possible that it never came with the hook/hanger, but that's a lot of stress put on just a carriage bolt. Yes, the hanger protrudes through the center hole far enough where a lock can be placed in the hanger hole and the flanges on the outside mount wing nut.

House

Minutia Militia
The tire carrier piece and notched plate came out in 1968 and were used on all of the factory installed ones as far as I know. Does yours have any signs of it coming with the inside spare and either the dealer or previous owner converting it over to an outside carrier short a few parts?

OP
OP
J

jackwagon

There's all kinds of other mismatched parts on this bronco.
I know what parts I need to get it set up right.
Thanks for the info.
Does the hook bolt to the horizontal plate bracket on the swing away loop? As in, is there a nut to tighten it down? Or does just the carriage bolt hold it in place and it hang on the loop.

75MIKE

Loc.
NE Washington
Carriage bolt holds it in place once everything is tightened down. The hanger also locks the swing stop cable so the tire can't swing all the way around and hit the side.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
The latter. The hanger just "hangs" on the top tube of the carrier and the carriage bolt through it and the round wheel retainer hold things in place.
And yes, the notched plate is for this, s the notch fits around the hanger when it's placed through the center of the wheel.

At least that's what I remember. I'll see if I have any pics.

Paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
And just to be sure, are you certain that what you have is a factory carrier?
There were many aftermarket alternatives so yours could be a mix of parts. Does it look like what you've seen in pictures? Are the hinges the big cast-steel thingies sticking way out the side, or are they stamped and bent steel?

Paul

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
I've search the forum and can't find a picture of the factory tire rack completely assembled.
I am missing the tire rack hanger. The factory spare was held in place with the carriage bolt and the solid round plate, not the notched plate. I dont have one of those either.
According the Jeffs, the notched plate is for outside racks, and the solid plate is for inside racks.

I've looked at the LMC exploded view, but it doesn't show how the hanger is mounted and it only shows the notched plate. I can't find the assembly in my shop manuals.

So I'd like to get a pic or a link to how the factory rack and tire is mounted.

Thought I'd seen that recently, will think about where I seen it and share it if I can

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
And just to be sure, are you certain that what you have is a factory carrier?
There were many aftermarket alternatives so yours could be a mix of parts. Does it look like what you've seen in pictures? Are the hinges the big cast-steel thingies sticking way out the side, or are they stamped and bent steel?

Paul

Yeah, share a pic of your set up

OP
OP
J

jackwagon

Cast brackets. Pretty sure it's factory, just missing the hook and the notched plate. Stored outside in Michigan for a time, assume things rusted away or were lost.
I'll get some pics later today.