• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Gear Ratio

Bronco Maniac

I have removed my rear end and taken it to the machine shop to replace the ends of the housing. I did not think to look for any tag on the third member and the truck it is at a friends shop on his lift. I took this picture of the markings on the gears. How do you determine gear ratio?

Heck, last week I could not spell mechanic, now I is one. You buy one of these EB and you will learn a lot.

Thanks for any help.

Attachments

• IMG_3900.JPG
    IMG_3900.JPG
    102 KB · Views: 67

Bickster

I believe the 10x35 refers to the teeth on the ring and pinion. So 35 divided by 10 is 3.50.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I believe the 10x35 refers to the teeth on the ring and pinion. So 35 divided by 10 is 3.50.

X2...or you can count the teeth and do the math. They're usually stamped correctly though.

OP
OP
Bronco Maniac

Bronco Maniac

We did count the teeth and there were 35. We figured the ten was the diameter???

spap

Contributor
Bronco Guru
10 teeth on the pinion gear

The ring gear is 9 inches

garberz

Bronco Influencer
Loc.
Conejo Valley, Ca.
I looked into making a small bearing housing into a big bearing. By the time you buy the ends, then pay to have them installed on the housing, it wasn’t a whole lot more to buy the Currie HD from WildHorses. $479 right now.

OP
OP
Bronco Maniac

Bronco Maniac

I looked into making a small bearing housing into a big bearing. By the time you buy the ends, then pay to have them installed on the housing, it wasn’t a whole lot more to buy the Currie HD from WildHorses. $479 right now.

That is not bad. Free shipping. Wow I got the ends for $110 and the machine shop said $150 for the replacement.

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
FWIW, you can get the housing ends from Quick Performance for about $65 plus S&H. I put new ends on my F150 housing going under my EB since they were pitted/rusted and I was planning on reusing the axles with SET20 bearings, so I figured I'd start fresh. I then borrowed a Mittler Bros alignment bar from a hot rod shop down the street and welded it up myself. Easy peasy.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
IF you have not done it yet, try and find an F150 housing with the big banjo and have the ends put on that. I find the small banjo Bronco housings to fatigue badly near the center section after a lot of use.