• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

upgrading DANA 44 ring and pinion gear with a Heep JK rear r&p

OP
OP
B

bknbronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
North Metro, MN
The standard clearance hole size for a 3/8 inch bolt is much smaller than 7/16 inch.
Do you expect that much misalignment?

ya my machine guy told me the same thing. I think its best to open it up so i dont have to do so much die grinding. My cover and axle dont even come close to matching. Maybe the bit didnt chase down the centers exactly when i redrilled and taped for the 3/8"? Anyways it fits about as well as stock exhaust manifolds%)

just another reason why im not keen on using a allen head bolt. They have little shoulder, where as the bolts linked to above have a nice shoulder washer built in to cover these larger holes and take some force.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

bknbronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
North Metro, MN
he had to make the holes .468 for the c bore tool pilot

hopefully i can get this load bolt welded up in the next few days and move on to finish the gear setup. I went to harbor freight and got a weed burner to preheat the housing to 400-450, got a degital lazer thermometer, welding blanket to wrap axle for cool down, and a mini air needle scaler for the weld peening.

Last edited:

Dlish

subscribed.

Have a spare 44 that I was going to clean up and build to put under my rig, for those of us who want to keep the stock width this really looks like the way to go.

OP
OP
B

bknbronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
North Metro, MN
subscribed.

Have a spare 44 that I was going to clean up and build to put under my rig, for those of us who want to keep the stock width this really looks like the way to go.

the Heep JK ring and pinion mod is simple as a oil change. The load bolt is rather involved im learning.

OP
OP
B

bknbronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
North Metro, MN
hahahaah....throw them away. just like the huge $150 1 1/8" tap or whatever i bought for cleaning up the ball joint threaded insert area. Or the tapered reamer i bought for my chebby one ton steering. not sure. why you need it? the kit doensnt come with the guide pin anymore cause you really dont use or need it....just use the included bolt instead. but the aluminum plate that bolts to the carrier and install bushing is priceless. i think the install kit is the same as for any dana axle so it would work for a guy doing a d60 as well

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
Yeah, I'm interested, they can be used more than one time.
Not in a big hurry for them yet, still working on the engine.