• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Another cautionary tale, with an ending.

BluebroncoNC

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Asheville, NC
A friend of mine moved out of their home state to another warmer state and decided to bring their "'74" Bronco they have owned since 1986. Upon arrival at the new state the DMV informed them that upon inspection the Bronco had 2 different VIN 's (glove box was different than the frame).The frame VIN is from a 1977 Bronco and worse this Bronco was reported stolen. Fortunately or not depending upon your point of view, the insurance company that paid off the stolen vehicle is no longer in business. Therefore my friend is entitled to keep the Bronco and was issued a new VIN.

Just another cautionary tale.

Wyflyer

Bronco Guru
I hope it wasn't stolen from one of our Bronco brothers on this site;(
And this is why I throw a big fit every time I see someone here casually trying to buy a VIN tag and title.

rydog1130

Bronco Guru
I hope it wasn't stolen from one of our Bronco brothers on this site;(
And this is why I throw a big fit every time I see someone here casually trying to buy a VIN tag and title.

I understand your point but what if someone wants to get a new frame from jeffs and all they have is the tags and title? Vehicle laws are different in every state so things could be used for malicious or good purposes, ying and yang....

Wyflyer

Bronco Guru
I understand your point but what if someone wants to get a new frame from jeffs and all they have is the tags and title? Vehicle laws are different in every state so things could be used for malicious or good purposes, ying and yang....

So do you reckon that's the rule or the exception? I tend to think these vin plates and titles are most often used to legitimize another frame, or a project without a title.
In all my time here i've yet to see someone say "Need a vin plate and title for my new project, i'll be using a Jeff's frame"...
Just my .02, not worth much more than that;D

rydog1130

Bronco Guru
So do you reckon that's the rule or the exception? I tend to think these vin plates and titles are most often used to legitimize another frame, or a project without a title.
In all my time here i've yet to see someone say "Need a vin plate and title for my new project, i'll be using a Jeff's frame"...
Just my .02, not worth much more than that;D

I have a tags and title for 69 that I plan getting around to it, the frame was scrapped so I know theres no other vin #'s floating around....so there ya go you heard it here first! I'll never sell it just because I don't trust anyone else on what they'll do with it. I understand your point but there are some good people out there still

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
It can be tough.
My eb is completely legit but I left it untitled for quite a few years. The DMV put me through the wringer getting it re-titled. Had to take a piece of paper and a pencil and rub the pencil across the paper over the frame VIN right in front of them.
Of course that didn't work the first time, so I cleaned up that area of the frame and went back.
It worked pretty well. Their inspection mirror worked pretty good too but the old lady that was with me didn't want to see the mirror.
She wanted that pencil rub.
I showed her the glove box and she had me rub it too.

The long time without a title and the fact that I had confused a 1 for an I in the vin started it all.
It sucked but I wasn't panicking because I knew I was legit. Can't imagine going through all of that (27 at the time) not knowing if my shit was legit or not.

67RT

Bronco Guru
Bad news . Same issue cost me time and money. Mine had been stolen and recovered in1978 but not sure why it got registered with glovebox title as the frame title is correct for my car per marti. Ford was sgupid with these glove tag

rydog1130

Bronco Guru
there was a guy on Facebook trying to sell a 67 frame and a title w/ tags for a 69. I asked him do you have the title for the 67 frame and he says yeah I'm using it for my 67 body thats sitting on the 69 frame....%):eek: i tried to explain how thats going to cause major problems down the road. I told him he should swap frames or at least the vin tags on the bodies so things match and everything is legit but last i saw on his post he was taking the 67 frame to the scrap yard....

76 bronco J

Bronco Guru
>>> Ford could have helped a long time ago.... several other Ford vehicles back then had "not for title or registration purposes" printed on the WARRANTY TAG
80-img_20130527_191617_383_b72c0fdd9c64a98b9adeaa8409cabb1dfce2e03e.jpg
1965_00093_09.jpg

BajaBronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Bad news . Same issue cost me time and money. Mine had been stolen and recovered in1978 but not sure why it got registered with glovebox title as the frame title is correct for my car per marti. Ford was sgupid with these glove tag

I remember when your Bronco was for sale out here near me. In California - it's really really hard to get a title for something if you dont have any paperwork. Probably the case with your Bronco - but interesting to know you learned of a theft in it's past... Other than having no paperwork, I can't think of another reason someone would change gloveboxes... I've seen frame discrepancies between forward VIN and rearward VIn stamping, but never seen a data plate that was off. If it was, it would be from another same year Bronco I would guess.

Bottom line - keep your trucks numbers matching. Sure it's a hassle to get corrected or paperwork, but its like paying taxes...illegal not to.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Ownership with no paperwork. Did that a few times, never again if I can help it. I have titles on all my junk.
My case was a boat. Dealing with the marine theft division was probably easier then dealing with the DMV. In my case I was dealing with 1 person the whole time. Took months, certified letters, and a prior owner sending back the letter stating they release all ownership of said vessel. As the officer who was doing the paperwork stated, it is easy if it is stolen. But if you can't find any record, there is another database you need to search, and another, and another. At some point you either find the paperwork, or you give up. And they don't want to give up without searching every possible option.

The other one I knew was clean, but still no paperwork. Have an old F150 truck bed trailer. Made in Kansas in the 90s, no title needed. Zero paperwork, the title was in the glove box when it was scrapped. Finally decided to get a legal AZ title on it. Down to the MVD and in a minute was diverted to a level two inspection. They wanted to hoist it and look for an old VIN on the frame. Humorous part was he was worried about my ability to back the trailer. I pointed to the VIN on top of the exposed frame rail and asked if that was what he wanted. He looked shocked. That one I had an assigned state VIN sticker inside of 15 minutes. Have a title and legal plates for that now as well.

Also had my fathers old homemade trailer with an AZ assigned VIN plate. He HAD a title for it from the 60s. Again in Kansas no registration on little trailers. I got it and simply filled an affidavit to the lost paperwork and they kept the old VIN plate.

I've had good luck so long as it comes up clean. And the stuff I got (except the boat) I knew had a clean history. Just took time. The boat we just got lucky with. Could have been in jail real fast with that one. But got the proper paperwork and at that point it could be used and later sold for a profit.

TheGanzman

Loc.
San Clemente
Here in CA, when titling a vehicle, "Matching frame/glovebox/clear title" is worth its weight in GOLD! I've titled several vehicles here in CA since moving here in 2003; on the two Broncos that I've registered here, BOTH times the DMV agent went outside and crawled under the Bronco, VERIFYING that the frame # matched the glovebox #. When I bought my (current) '69 Bronco, I paid a premium for a nice, "tight" title, all #'s matching, and nice VISIBLE frame #'s...

I imported a '65 GTO from Vancouver Canada to NC back in ~1998. There was some kind of discrepancy when the car was brought over the CA/USA border AFTER it came through. ~6 weeks after it was delivered to me in NC, I got a visit from the Highway Patrol - there was a Bench Warrant out for my arrest for receiving a stolen car! That was a GOAT F*CK to get cleared up - NO MORE!