• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Early 66 People - what is this

BajaBronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Hey all, What are these two little tabs on top of core support for? This is an August '65 build roadster. BUt I've seen many times on my own 66s, these two little tabs that seem to be doing nothing much hanging out there on the top edge core support right by the hood prop rod and battery hold down, which...also vary in whether they poke thru the back or thru the front of the core support. wondering if anyone else has theories?

Attachments

• DSC03145.jpg
    DSC03145.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 690

spap

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Protect the headlight from water, they all have them
Yours is just a little limp being that it is 50 years old Haaa

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
If you read his post, he's not asking about the headlight shield.

He's asking about "these two little tabs that seem to be doing nothing much hanging out there on the top edge core support right by the hood prop rod and battery hold down"

You can see them in the picture by the hood support rod and the bolt sticking through the core support.

West Tn Dawg

BULLDOG
Loc.
Kenton

He's asking about "these two little tabs that seem to be doing nothing much hanging out there on the top edge core support right by the hood prop rod and battery hold down"

You can see them in the picture by the hood support rod and the bolt sticking through the core support.
SORRY! I misunderstood.
Can't answer that, mine doesn't have them.

Waverous

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Aurora, CO

I see what you mean.

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
Sure enough, never noticed them before, and no ideas on their purpose.

20161021_212455_zpsnkcdvtmf.jpg

OP
OP
BajaBronco

BajaBronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Thanks guys. I think it's super strange.. I only see them on 66. Just one more piece of the puzzle we need to figure out. Thanks for all responses. On this particular truck I didn't grind them away - left and painted over them. Truck is almost done.

And for all you watersheild people - yes, I originally took that pic of the watershield, so I definitely understand the responses.

OP
OP
BajaBronco

BajaBronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Same truck now.

Attachments

• IMG_3756.jpg
    IMG_3756.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 263
  • IMG_3757.jpg
    IMG_3757.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 191

SHX669

Bronco Guru
Not sure what your 66s are for but my '68 has two "dimples" in that location where the vertcal /ribbed support attaches to the top lip of the core support..

Classic 4x4

A legacy from the manufacturing process? Needed for tooling?
Both Ford and Budd bodies or just one or the other?

eaglenest66

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Neat discovery Andrew! After thinking I knew all the '66 quirks, this is a new one on me. So decided to check out five of my '66s. Three are roadsters and one is a halfcab.

The first is a Sept.65 build all original roadster, Budd body.

Second pic is a Sept. '65 build roadster, Budd body but no tabs and no evidence of them being ground off either.

Third pic is a Sept. '65 build half cab, Budd body.

Fourth is a Sept.65 build is a roadster, Budd body.

Fifth pic is a July '66 roadster, Ford body.

I have to lean towards agreement with Jim (classic4x4) in that it has to be a manufacturing tab with Budd bodied core supports. Perhaps these tabs simply did not get ground off during the build process?! Neat stuff!

Attachments

• IMG_4930.jpg
    IMG_4930.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 170
  • IMG_4928.jpg
    IMG_4928.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 164
  • IMG_4925.jpg
    IMG_4925.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 178
  • IMG_4927.jpg
    IMG_4927.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 170
  • IMG_4926.jpg
    IMG_4926.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 186

Dbteak

Perhaps they originally designed the prop rod to be mounted through that piece of strap, produced a bunch of core supports with the strap and before production decided to not use them and did a poor job of getting rid of them.

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
One Sept 65' of mine has it, the other Sept doesn't, no signs of being ground off.

Gas Pig

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Yeah I'v seen those tabs only on the early '66s. As I worked on #51 truck I'v made a few oddities discoveres(change of plans) even for the normal '66 quirks. It's my strong belief that these tabs where intended for the use hood prop. I bet after they found the original design didn't provide enough spring tension to hold the hood prop in place. So Ford's guys cut the strap/loop off and hand drilled for the current location. Think of it it's... the only hand drilled hole (besides head light ground screws) on the whole core support. If the original design of the hood prop was always intended to be where it is then why wasn't in the original stamping process? IMO it was a change in plans, "just it off and drill a hole for it right below." lol