• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

New Bronco Vs. New Jeep

WheelHorse

Bronco Guru
I do wish they upgraded the Xterra instead of just axing it. I had an 05 and just sold it to my mom, (she loves it) and was looking at another to be a winter vehicle for me.

As for the belt line, I wonder if it is because they think people will be safer with smaller windows and taller door panels in side impacts even though the smaller window makes it harder to escape from if the vehicle is sinking or if they think that the smaller slanted windows make the vehicle look more sporty?

My wife had an '06 X...No problems up to 94K miles when we traded it in at 10 years of age. We strongly considered the 4-runner, given it's a frame on body construction, but even with 270HP it wasn't near the sport that the X was. The 4.0VQ had a decent low-end torque to it. All these new SUV's with smaller, car-like, high-revving engines do nothing for me. The non-turbo'd Explorer doesn't really start to pull until 4000 rpms.

I have two Hondas in my driveway now. Honda figured out two things, lower the belt line and leave a stick option for the Accord available on dealer lots. DI gave the 4cyl a much needed boost in mid-range torque. I would have had to special order a Fusion and no dealer wanted to dare order a manual Fusion for test drives...I walked away from Ford.

Going back to the Bronco topic of 2dr vs 4dr:

Besides, I believe Jeff from the Bronco Graveyard was in an article recently that said 70% of new Wrangler sales are 4dr...Ya I don't see Ford going against real world numbers there.

englewoodcowboy

Lick Creek Restorations
My wife had an '06 X...No problems up to 94K miles when we traded it in at 10 years of age. We strongly considered the 4-runner, given it's a frame on body construction, but even with 270HP it wasn't near the sport that the X was. The 4.0VQ had a decent low-end torque to it. All these new SUV's with smaller, car-like, high-revving engines do nothing for me. The non-turbo'd Explorer doesn't really start to pull until 4000 rpms.

I have two Hondas in my driveway now. Honda figured out two things, lower the belt line and leave a stick option for the Accord available on dealer lots. DI gave the 4cyl a much needed boost in mid-range torque. I would have had to special order a Fusion and no dealer wanted to dare order a manual Fusion for test drives...I walked away from Ford.

Going back to the Bronco topic of 2dr vs 4dr:

Besides, I believe Jeff from the Bronco Graveyard was in an article recently that said 70% of new Wrangler sales are 4dr...Ya I don't see Ford going against real world numbers there.

The manual or auto war will forever go on I think however with sales numbers here in the US, I honestly see manual anything becoming a thing of the past unfortunately. When I was 18 I had a new Jeep YJ and it was a 5 speed, never thought in a million years I would want one with an auto, then fast forward to my bronco, same thing but I ended up going with an AOD and really do not regret it at all. Driving some of the newer vehicles with the 6 speed autos is quite amazing with how well they do their job so I guess some old school part of me will always want to see a manual available but the real world me says they will be faded out but it could also become a fad as well, who knows, some things have made a come back.

Dusty

Bronco Guru
I work for a company that manufactures accessories for Jeep Wranglers, and I can tell you that for products which require a different part number for 2-door versus 4-door (like rocker armor), the 4-door version out-sells the 2-door version by 10 to 1. I can also say, having wheeled both, that the 4-door JK is quite a bit better than the 2-door in most wheeling situations. It's not the number of doors that makes the difference, its the wheelbase.

If what I hear from my little birdies is true, that Ford is serious about going after the Wrangler market with the new Bronco, then I would expect they'll do both a 2-door and a 4-door version. 2-door because that's the DNA of the Bronco. 4-door because that's what the market will demand.

By the way, for those who said its hard to get into the back seat of a 4-door JK, believe me its a hell of a lot easier than getting into the back seat of a 2-door one.

WheelHorse

Bronco Guru
The manual or auto war will forever go on ... Driving some of the newer vehicles with the 6 speed autos is quite amazing with how well they do their job so I guess some old school part of me will always want to see a manual available but the real world me says they will be faded out but it could also become a fad as well, who knows, some things have made a come back.

Ever drive a CVT? OK for putting around but zero excitement (even with fake gears).

Coming from driving old rigs, I'm sure you've noticed how new cars practically drive themselves. Manual offers a bit of old-school entertainment for those who don't live in the urban jungle.

Have you spec'd a Wrangler for fun? It's like grab a 6 speed manual, spec a 3.73 with a trac loc rear and if you don't want power anything you don't have to spec it...now that's pretty cool.

GSP9

Loc.
State College
I've been a Ford guy since I was young. Started off fooling around with Mustangs at an early age. I remember in 1994 when Ford was moving away from the Fox body platform of the Mustang to the 1994 body style and how much hype there was surrounding it. Ford wanted to bring back some of the styling aspects of the first generation of Mustangs and the advertising motto for the release was "It is what it was.....and more".

That's the same motto I would use for the new Bronco if I was at Ford and trying to tell these designers and engineers what to strive for. I personally think it has to have the removable top and be an off road capable type vehicle. I was at a wedding a few weeks ago and there were a handful of "car guys" there. We were talking about the success of some of these late model cars that have stuck to their roots as far as the design and what not and how they have been successful to fairly successful. Cars like the new Mustang, Camaro, Charger, Challenger where you can still see the early car in it in some regards. Anyways, the big flop out of these late model high performance cars was the mid 2000's GTO. It didn't appeal to anyone because it looked nothing like the original car.......they basically dropped a bigger motor and some badging on a Grand Prix.

I really think if Ford sticks to the history of this thing, it will succeed. Time will tell.

Germd

It just occurred to me that maybe this is what Ford should be thinking about when building the new Bronco.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/162253466511?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&rmvSB=true
Granted, maybe not the off road prowess many of us here are hoping for - but a nice blend of retro looks & modern safety and amenities. I bet they'd sell a crap-ton of 'em. Ford could build one for $5-10K apiece & sell 'em for $35K while they figure out how to make one that could take some trail abuse.
Just thinking out loud here.;)

El Kabong

Contributor
Driving stuff Henry built
I've been a Ford guy since I was young. Started off fooling around with Mustangs at an early age. I remember in 1994 when Ford was moving away from the Fox body platform of the Mustang to the 1994 body style and how much hype there was surrounding it. Ford wanted to bring back some of the styling aspects of the first generation of Mustangs and the advertising motto for the release was "It is what it was.....and more".

That's the same motto I would use for the new Bronco if I was at Ford and trying to tell these designers and engineers what to strive for. I personally think it has to have the removable top and be an off road capable type vehicle. I was at a wedding a few weeks ago and there were a handful of "car guys" there. We were talking about the success of some of these late model cars that have stuck to their roots as far as the design and what not and how they have been successful to fairly successful. Cars like the new Mustang, Camaro, Charger, Challenger where you can still see the early car in it in some regards. Anyways, the big flop out of these late model high performance cars was the mid 2000's GTO. It didn't appeal to anyone because it looked nothing like the original car.......they basically dropped a bigger motor and some badging on a Grand Prix.

I really think if Ford sticks to the history of this thing, it will succeed. Time will tell.

Well said.

WheelHorse

Bronco Guru

Fox (4) platform lasted until 2005 when the S197 came out. Crawl underneath a 2004 and you'd feel like you're under a 1993 Fox.

The GTO was a Holden Monaro rebadged, not the front wheel drive Grand Prix. It had heavy suspension components for Aussie rough roads and well, it was bland. However, the first GTO was based on a Tempest for '64 then a LeMans for '65. I wonder how many back then said, "Oh, that's just a gussied up LeMans."

Check out the Aussie stuff... Ranger is alive and well with a diesel, Falcon still lives, a Ranchero (Falcon Ute) is still alive down there.

I don't see Ford retooling for a retro... I see a rebadged Everest. It's based on the Ranger chassis. It matches up with what everything the UAW guy supposedly leaked.

Prizefighter

Bronco Guru
I don't see Ford retooling for a retro... I see a rebadged Everest. It's based on the Ranger chassis. It matches up with what everything the UAW guy supposedly leaked.

The General Manager at our Ford dealership told me yesterday that Ford moved all their tooling from Mexico up to Michigan.

I would agree that it will be something similar to the Everest. 2wd and 4wd or AWD will be available. No removable hard top, aluminum body, EcoBoost engine, 4 doors.

Prizefighter

Bronco Guru
Something resembling this, perhaps more rugged and hopefully with throw back retro styling.

Attachments

• ford-everest-design-sketch-1.jpg
    ford-everest-design-sketch-1.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 130

GSP9

Loc.
State College
The GTO was a Holden Monaro rebadged, not the front wheel drive Grand Prix. It had heavy suspension components for Aussie rough roads and well, it was bland. However, the first GTO was based on a Tempest for '64 then a LeMans for '65. I wonder how many back then said, "Oh, that's just a gussied up LeMans."

I recognize that the GTO was a Holden Monaro but it was so uninspiring because it looked like a Grand Prix. It offered no design elements of the original. My dad had a 65 and a 69 GTO. When the new one came out in 2004 or so he took one look at it and said "what the hell is this, it looks terrible". My point is, I really think they need to hit on some of the early design elements of these Bronco's in order to win over the customers.

Prizefighter

Bronco Guru
My point is, I really think they need to hit on some of the early design elements of these Bronco's in order to win over the customers.

YES!!! Even a little bit of classic Bronco cues will go a long way.

76 bronco J

Bronco Guru
>>> Ford's market research has to know the public doesn't want anything like that Everest or that rounded thing in the pic a few posts above called a bronco.... also know probably that S10 blazer looking concept thrown around also wouldn't work...found the following article that's seems right on the money "7 Features the New 2018 Ford Bronco Needs to Have" >> see - http://www.maxim.com/rides/critical-features-of-new-ford-bronco-2016-10

Last edited:

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
Another Jeep for the new Bronco to compete with, looks more like a Bronco than some of the concepts:

Attachments

• Jeep Renegade Deserthawk.jpg
    Jeep Renegade Deserthawk.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 79