• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

create motor. good source?

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Todd
I can post a vid of mine running at idle for you I you want me too
It is very smooth but you know something non stock is under the hood
Chuck

That's very kind of you, Chuck. Would love to see/hear a video!

Thanks,
Todd Z.

crutch

Those of you with the Blueprint 347, have you had any issues with overheating at idle? I talked to the guys at Maxlider and they have been having challenges keeping these cool. I think they are running AC in their Broncos. Did Blueprint put a cam in yours to better suit low end torque? I'm looking to make a decision soon.

tabascom16

Loc.
Salisbury, PA
With proper timing and fuel/air ratio you should not having cooling problems at idle. Yes it may run a little hotter than 190 but when your thermostat opens fully by about 220 and you have a good radiator with a fan shroud, I don't see why you would have cooling problems.

My 408W runs a little hot, but I also have a smaller fan than stock because I screwed up when ordering stuff. But once the thermostat opens up it does a decent job. I am using a 3 core Champion aluminum radiator. And no, aluminum radiators do not cool better than copper radiators.

Some people may wish to call me out on this, but I am a degreed engineer and versed in the laws of physics. I would also we leery of anyone telling you they have 425HP at the wheels (at least 500 at the crank) from a streetable "built for low end torque" motor. There are dyno machines out there that horribly miscalculate the horsepower at the wheels. I have seen several of these at car shows.

Look at any 500+ HP 347 and it has high compression and a very large cam for high end torque. Just not happening on pump gas compression and a low end torque cam. For starters, peak torque is going to be about 1.15 to 1.25. A 408 would have expected peak torque of about 500 lb-ft. A 347 about 420 lb-ft. An engine built for lower end power but above stock sized cam will have peak torque happen between 3500-4000 rpm. It will drop off after that. Provided the formula for horsepower, at 6000 rpm you would need 440 lb-torque to produce 500hp.

Read this article to see what it took to get 530hp from a 347 stroker. Huge roller cam, 10.5 compression which is certainly on the verge of pump gas with the AFR heads, a single plane intake, additional porting, etc. They probably had huge diameter headers and exhaust on this engine which is absolutely critical for high end horsepower, but also zaps low end torque. Look how high they had to rev that thing to get that horsepower. Horsepower = (torque X RPM)/5250.

http://www.enginebuildermag.com/2007/08/the-shermanator-347-a-530hp-gas-stroker-you-can-build/

A realistic, street friendly stroker for a Bronco is going to make 400hp or less at the crank. Keep the .050" duration under 230.

5001craig

Contributor
Bronco Guru
With proper timing and fuel/air ratio you should not having cooling problems at idle. Yes it may run a little hotter than 190 but when your thermostat opens fully by about 220 and you have a good radiator with a fan shroud, I don't see why you would have cooling problems.

My 408W runs a little hot, but I also have a smaller fan than stock because I screwed up when ordering stuff. But once the thermostat opens up it does a decent job. I am using a 3 core Champion aluminum radiator. And no, aluminum radiators do not cool better than copper radiators.

Some people may wish to call me out on this, but I am a degreed engineer and versed in the laws of physics. I would also we leery of anyone telling you they have 425HP at the wheels (at least 500 at the crank) from a streetable "built for low end torque" motor. There are dyno machines out there that horribly miscalculate the horsepower at the wheels. I have seen several of these at car shows.

Look at any 500+ HP 347 and it has high compression and a very large cam for high end torque. Just not happening on pump gas compression and a low end torque cam. For starters, peak torque is going to be about 1.15 to 1.25. A 408 would have expected peak torque of about 500 lb-ft. A 347 about 420 lb-ft. An engine built for lower end power but above stock sized cam will have peak torque happen between 3500-4000 rpm. It will drop off after that. Provided the formula for horsepower, at 6000 rpm you would need 440 lb-torque to produce 500hp.

Read this article to see what it took to get 530hp from a 347 stroker. Huge roller cam, 10.5 compression which is certainly on the verge of pump gas with the AFR heads, a single plane intake, additional porting, etc. They probably had huge diameter headers and exhaust on this engine which is absolutely critical for high end horsepower, but also zaps low end torque. Look how high they had to rev that thing to get that horsepower. Horsepower = (torque X RPM)/5250.

http://www.enginebuildermag.com/2007/08/the-shermanator-347-a-530hp-gas-stroker-you-can-build/

A realistic, street friendly stroker for a Bronco is going to make 400hp or less at the crank. Keep the .050" duration under 230.

Great post.

For the record, as I said below, mine is a flat tappet cam 351W turned into a 408W with a Edlebrock Performer RPM top end kit. 415 hp and 430-450 torque @ 9.5 CR.

LOVNBRONCOS

Loc.
Tucson, Az
I almost pulled the trigger on a ATK 302 on Monday they were on sale. then I read a lot of bad reviews. Decided against it.

tabascom16

Loc.
Salisbury, PA
It certainly wasn't a jab at your post 5001craig. Your build is very similar to mine. It was others that said they had "low end power" 347s putting out 425HP at the wheels. Others were buying into it.

For the record, as I said below, mine is a flat tappet cam 351W turned into a 408W with a Edlebrock Performer RPM top end kit. 415 hp and 430-450 torque @ 9.5 CR.[/QUOTE]

markw

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I've spent a lot of hours running down Baja with Bukin during the Baja 1000. Didn't drive it but it sure didn't feel or sound peaky. Just a seat of the pants perspective.

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
FYI, what ever you do do not use Phoenix Engine in of all places, PHX. I was short on time and my usual guy was busy so went there, and then had to wait 6 months for a poor example of machine work, then another 6 months for my usual guy to fix the damage.

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru

THank you! What I been saying all along.

My stroker is speced to hit 400 foot pounds and 400HP with 10.8cr on regular gas. The real secret is the custom camshaft.

stonerkirk4

Engine Factory got a nice 350hp 5.0 12,000. Tell them u will put your own efi. They sent it with msd never got it to work. I installed hi-tech worked perfect

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

68stang73

I just posted a new thread on an engine I'm thinking of having built. They took time to talk to me multiple times and even called me out of the blue today. He sent me many dyno sheets he thought I was after when we talked and I'm thinking of the one I posted. Feel free to check it out and comment. It the 408 thread posted tonight.

crankman

Just finished break in on Jasper 302 so far been fine. My shop here uses ATK & Jasper he said Jasper customer service was better dealing with.